1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache

Possible to install 802.11ac card in 2012 MacBook Air

So at WWDC this year, they announced 802.11ac wireless for the new 2013 MacBook Airs. Is it possible to replace the 802.11g card in my 2012 Macbook Air?

I assume the wireless cards are not off the shelf products so I would have to buy it from a third party manufacturer or parts from a broken 2013 MacBook Air, both of which seem unlikely.

Until Apple ships a system and iFixIt tears it apart no one knows what Apple did on the inside (needed changes or if the WiFi connector is the same).

So, sit back grab another brew out of the icebox and watch a good movie or two. I'm sure within a week or two someone will have had a chance to see whats inside and tell us all about it.

It appears that the slot is the same but the length of the antenna wires in the 2012 may prevent it. Only way to know is to open a 2012 and try to stretch the antenna wires to where they would be with a 2013 card installed. The 2013 "ac" card has the connections in a different spot than the 2012 card, which may prevent it from hooking up to the antennas.

I tried to swap the card in my mid-2011 MacBook Air with one I purchased from eBay and found the 802.11ac card was longer and has antenna connections on the end instead of on the side. As a result, I was unable to use the 802.11ac card in my mid-2011 machine. I see no reasonable way to lengthen the wires; hence, I don't believe there is a solution. I visually checked the QCard 2 and it is just like what I bought and would not work.

I managed to extend the wires in my mid-2012 MacBook. It is necessary to remove the left side I/O board to access the two screws securing the antenna wires on the left hinge. I then used scissors to cut the wire from the thin metal plate (bend away the two narrow metal legs from the wire and cut the legs but not the antenna). I guess one could also desolder the antenna wire from the metal plate in lieu of cutting. After doing this, the wires will have just enough length to reach the antenna connectors on the 802.11ac card.

Kevin Ko, thank you so much for sharing this. I plan on doing the same thing so that I can enable the Apple Watch auto-unlock function, Just to be clear, you did this on a Mid-2012 MacBook Air 13"? And have you experienced any wifi, bluetooth, or any other issues since completing the upgrade?

Thanks again.

Julian, that is correct. I did this with a 13" Mid-2012 MacBook Air. I've not noticed any issues with wifi or Bluetooth. BT works great for Airdrop between my iOS devices and the MBA. 802.11ac on the MBA averages around 30MB/s, so it shows some benefits over my 802.11n PC (~20MB/s).

Kevin Ko, does it matter which way you connect the antenna wires? Thanks again for all the help. I just ordered the new wifi card.

Any updates? I would love to be able to use the full power of my new time capsule!

Some news reports are reporting Apple is having issues with some of the new MacBook Air systems WiFi connections. I won't hold my breath here, it will be quite awhile before we see this part available on the open market, I'd say around 6-7 months.

I switched out the airport card on my Macbook Air mid-2012, with a card meant for Macbook Air '13-'14. Now my wifi reports 800mbps, rather than the 5-7mbps at 2.4ghz. The card does not fit. Definitely just jammed it in there and closed it back up. Also I head to sorta pull out the antennas to have them reach the card.

TTM will be eternally grateful.