1

Pam
13

Water leak in refrigerator?

I read the previous post about unblocking a water draining tube from freezer. I can't find any tube to unblock! Where do I look? I looked on the back, inside, etc. Also vacuumed underneath and behind. Thanks.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Sam Lionheart ( )

1

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

Clogged or Freezing Defrost Drain

If the refrigerator is leaking water it's possible that the refrigerator has a clogged or freezing defrost drain. If the defrost drain freezes the defrost water will overflow the drain and drip down to the bottom of the compartment, If enough water accumulates in the bottom it can run out onto the floor. Thaw any ice that is clogging the drain. Make sure the drain is clear by flushing it with a turkey baster and HOT water.

Water Tank Assembly

If the refrigerator is leaking water the water tank assembly may have sprung a leak. Check the water tank assembly while it's still in the refrigerator to see if the leak can be found. Keep in mind that the tank is not under pressure, it only holds water at a very low pressure and so the leak might be very small and hard to find. The tank can sometimes be made up of coiled tubing and is usually located behind the crisper drawers, behind a panel in the refrigerator section. If a leak is discovered, replace it. The plastic they use for the tank doesn't accept glue very well.

Water Inlet Valve

If the refrigerator is leaking water the water valve may be cracked or have a loose fitting. The water inlet valve requires a minimum of 20 psi to shut off properly. If the water inlet valve does not shut off properly and the water pressure is good, replace the water inlet valve.

Water Filter Housing

If the refrigerator is leaking water the water filter housing might be cracked or broken. Inspect the housing thoroughly and replace it if any cracks are found.

Water Filter Head

If the refrigerator is leaking water the water filter head might be cracked or the seal might be torn or missing. Check the water filter housing carefully for any damage or defects.

Drain Pan

If the refrigerator is leaking water the drain pan might be cracked. All self-defrosting refrigerators have a drain pan. The drain pan is underneath the refrigerator or near the compressor. When the refrigerator goes into the defrost cycle the frost and ice that is melted off of the evaporator coils flows down a small tube and into the drain pan below. The condenser fan blows warm air from the condenser coils across the top of the drain pan to evaporate the water quickly and so the drain pan never has to be emptied. However, if it cracks, the water from the defrost cycle will spill out of the pan onto the floor.

Water Filter

If the refrigerator is leaking water the water filter might not be installed correctly. Remove and reinstall the filter to be sure it's seated properly.

1

Linda
13

Water pours out of my refirgerator when i take the filter out to change it. What's wrong and how can I fix it?

Turn the water off when changing the filter.

mayer,

0

Mike
1

You will have to locate the evaporator coils inside the fridge. In a side by side, they are probably in the bottom. You will have to remove some plastic parts to get to the coils. Under the coils is a drip tray which catches the water when the fridge goes into the defrost cycle. In the drip tray, there is a small drain hole; about 1/4 inch diameter or less. The drain hole can be difficult to find, but trust me it's there. Use a turkey baster with HOT water to melt the accumulated ice inside the drain tube. You can also use a hair drier; just be careful not to damage any plastic parts.

Hope this helps.

You do realize this question is 14 months old.

mayer,

0

Ron Bojanowski
1

my frigidaire refrigerator model FRT17G4B is collecting water inside the fridge

under the drawer, how do I find the drain tube to see if it is clogged and where is it.