0

kishore magar
1

Galaxy s3 usb port not working?

My galaxy s3 port is damaged i guess ,cause no charging even if i turn off the phone not detected by my laptop tried different charger and cables still not working.Does updating software will solve my problem?

or i have to change the port? if i have to change port can any one guide me??

Can u fix them yourself and how much would that be?

Hayden Woods,

5

Jonathan James
367

On the s3 their are around 10 pins that need to be soldered to the board. If one of those has come up from the board from a jolt or drop, it could still charge but have charging issues so it most certainly could be the port needs replacing or resoldering. If you have tried a battery I would definitely try replacing the charging port. I found a company that does the s3 port repair. Here it is: S3 Charging Charging Port Repair Link

DIY S3 Repair Video (need equipment and skillset)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9guHq4Ve...

Hope this helps!

Jon

Charging my SGS3 suddenly only worked with one of my USB cables and a couple chargers. Charging was slow as well. I reflashed my ROM (SlimKAT), then a new kernel (BMS) in order to enable fast charging. Still no luck. I cleaned the USB port with 99% Isopropanol --> still slow charging. I took apart my phone and then touched up the solder joints of the USB connector with a fine tip iron, some leaded solder and flux. I inspected the solder joints under magnification and it all looked good. reassembled my phone and now it charges fast with any cable and charger again. :-)

Michael Robins,

2

kishore magar, if you need to replace the port, use this guide to get to it. Use a hot air rework station, or alike to unsolder the port from the board. Check for cracked solder prior to replacing it, a simple reflow of the solder on the part may be all that is needed. Hope this helps, good luck.

1

pcfix
13

90% of the time charging issues are caused by dirty pin connectors on the s3 port they get filled with crap and every time the charger is plugged in it compacts this dirt and makes things worse i have fixed all my friends s3's and all of them had the same problem

fix: 1 can of contact cleaner

spray a small amount inside phone port and then in charger plug insert and remove plug about 6 times respray both the plug and charger port and repeat this about 5 times and all is good if its not your phone port must be damaged and will need repairing by a technician.

i have had no problems doing this but still attempt at your own risk as i will not be held responsible for any broken phones

Cleaning it out wont work, got mine cleaned recently and it's still not charging properly. Samsung totally screwed all of their customers over.

Kramer Hechenova,

contact cleaner? Where do I get it? Is that what I ask salesperson for contact cleaner?

jennifer,

1

LE55ONS

Replacing the usb charging port needs the use of a 'hot air' soldering iron. Google for part number 3722-003512 and find a local tv repair shop as they should have the skills and equipment to replace it. Or you can invest in a wireless charging kit (search eBay for 'galaxy s3 wireless charging') and use wifi to move your files..

1

autti
13

my phone has this issue with the charger port also. I got it fixed last year in December and within 6 months the port was giving me issues again believe it or not a rubber band and faith is all that is keeping this battery alive every night and i hate to get rid of a phone less than 2 year old but i think it is time for a change.

Replacing the usb charging port needs the use of a 'hot air' soldering iron. Google for 3722-003512 and find a local tv repair shop as they should have the skills and equipment to replace it. Or you can invest in a wireless charging kit (search eBay for 'galaxy s3 wireless charging') and use wifi to move your files..

LE55ONS,

1

Stephanie
13

My phone has completely capped out. It won't charge no matter what I do. And I know my charger port is broken, or there's something wrong with it, cause I've do else everything that I could and nothing has worked. It used to be that the only way it would charge was if I put hair ties on it and wrapped it so that the charger was really such in the port (that was the only way it would work) and this happened around january. But now... it's really not doing well and won't charge at all. Any help or advice? Do I have to get a new port?

1

Bill
13

After cleaning the USB female port it still didn't work however did find out that by lifting the cable a few degrees while in the port a connection was made and charging was good. Eventually I made a plastic strip, the thickness of a business card and the width of the port ( very important), then stuck it under the USB tongue on the phone. When a cable is inserted into the phone it connects and charges every time. Have been dong this for 9 months now and waiting until contract is up to get an updated phone, 7 months to go!

This helped a lot. A credit card was too thick (I know you said business card, that was just what I had immediately handy, and tried first), I ended up using one side of the laminate of a laminated card, which is paper thin. It's a much more snug connection now, and the charging connection is more reliable.

Sean Johnson,

0

Ian Homer
1

My S3 stopped charging a few months ago. Cleaned out port with a pin a while ago. I got lots of gunk out, but still didn't work. Was going to send back to Samsung (since still under warranty), even was reading about resoldering in a new usb port ... but then tried spraying it with a contact cleaner and started charging again. Much easier - thx

Stupid question, but what is contact cleaner, exactly?

Christa,

I figured it out and the contact cleaner seems to have done the trick...thank goodness. I wasn't looking forward to soldering in a new port.

Christa,

0

Anamia
1

My charge port screwed itself after 10 months. It's not the dirt as I had my other phone for 8 years and no problems with dirt etc. The charge ports on S3's are useless and you'll be lucky if they last longer than a year. I ended up buying another battery pack and external charger (charges the battery, not the phone - good to have 2 batteries in this case), which does the trick but I am now unable to upload anything from my phone using the USB cord either. Purchasing another battery pack is a quick fix but that doesn't help in the long run. I now don't know how I'm going to get all the data off of my S3

Anamia use AirDroid App to upload your cell photos to your computer without using USB line. it can move photos to anything you want. Hopefully that helps!

J Lim,

0

Mickey Masterson
1

My galaxy 3 stopped charging. I first bought a new charger thinking that was the problem with now luck. I bought a new battery, still no luck. My daughter in law told me she saw online that the galaxy 3 was having issues with the port on the phone collecting dirt and dust. She took to Best Buy and they cleaned it with a wipe around a pin and its working fine. I tried cleaning the port with a pin and believe it or not I'm not having any charging issues. I did not use any contact cleaner or any other cleaning solution just a pin. Hope this helps.

0

archana
1

My samsung s3 phone does not turn on using my battery,it turns on if i use my friend's s3 battery.Unable to charge, as the samsung guy says the charger port isnt working.Is it a problem with the battery or charger port?Unable to decide... Kindly help if someone faced the same issue

0

con

The fact you said I put hair ties to keep it plugged in

Off coarse the charging port is broken if you had to do that

0

Val
1

A coworker twisted her charging port trying to get a "good connection." My first thought was how could that happen? Now my charging port seems loose and we have tried, unsuccessfully, different chargers, cleaning the port, etc. I've ordered an external charger (bummer), but am considering running down to AT&T and going back to Apple products. This stinks, Samsung!

This Week: 1,156

This Month: 1,458