Samsung Galaxy S III

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a multi-touch, slate-format smartphone with eye-tracking ability, increased storage, and a wireless charging option.

Galaxy s3 usb port not working?

My galaxy s3 port is damaged i guess ,cause no charging even if i turn off the phone not detected by my laptop tried different charger and cables still not working.Does updating software will solve my problem?

or i have to change the port? if i have to change port can any one guide me??

Can u fix them yourself and how much would that be?

by Hayden Woods

Most Helpful Answer

Hey Everyone! i too have had much difficulty with the gs3's charging port but i just found out why the phone wont charge and a quick solution for it without rigging the phone up with rubber bands or hair ties. The charging pins are only on the top of the port and most every charger is not thick enough for the s3 so you simply slide a peice of paper under the bottom half of the port then input your charger and the paper will keep it held up. This has been working for me and hopefully it does the same for all of you!

Worked for mine, thank you

by jacque4100

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :D

by Jalynthia Mackey

I can't believe I didn't think of that... Great idea thank you so much you are a life saver, I have been having that issue for weeks and holding onto the stupid cord the whole time lol

by lynzepreece

just worked for mine too,,,thanks

by melindawilliams99

On the s3 their are around 10 pins that need to be soldered to the board. If one of those has come up from the board from a jolt or drop, it could still charge but have charging issues so it most certainly could be the port needs replacing or resoldering. If you have tried a battery I would definitely try replacing the charging port. I found a company that does the s3 port repair. Here it is: S3 Charging Charging Port Repair Link

DIY S3 Repair Video (need equipment and skillset)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9guHq4Ve...

Hope this helps!

Jon

Charging my SGS3 suddenly only worked with one of my USB cables and a couple chargers. Charging was slow as well. I reflashed my ROM (SlimKAT), then a new kernel (BMS) in order to enable fast charging. Still no luck. I cleaned the USB port with 99% Isopropanol --> still slow charging. I took apart my phone and then touched up the solder joints of the USB connector with a fine tip iron, some leaded solder and flux. I inspected the solder joints under magnification and it all looked good. reassembled my phone and now it charges fast with any cable and charger again. :-)

by Michael Robins

kishore magar, if you need to replace the port, use this guide to get to it. Use a hot air rework station, or alike to unsolder the port from the board. Check for cracked solder prior to replacing it, a simple reflow of the solder on the part may be all that is needed. Hope this helps, good luck.

Mentioned Items

After cleaning the USB female port it still didn't work however did find out that by lifting the cable a few degrees while in the port a connection was made and charging was good. Eventually I made a plastic strip, the thickness of a business card and the width of the port ( very important), then stuck it under the USB tongue on the phone. When a cable is inserted into the phone it connects and charges every time. Have been dong this for 9 months now and waiting until contract is up to get an updated phone, 7 months to go!

This helped a lot. A credit card was too thick (I know you said business card, that was just what I had immediately handy, and tried first), I ended up using one side of the laminate of a laminated card, which is paper thin. It's a much more snug connection now, and the charging connection is more reliable.

by Sean Johnson

90% of the time charging issues are caused by dirty pin connectors on the s3 port they get filled with crap and every time the charger is plugged in it compacts this dirt and makes things worse i have fixed all my friends s3's and all of them had the same problem

fix: 1 can of contact cleaner

spray a small amount inside phone port and then in charger plug insert and remove plug about 6 times respray both the plug and charger port and repeat this about 5 times and all is good if its not your phone port must be damaged and will need repairing by a technician.

i have had no problems doing this but still attempt at your own risk as i will not be held responsible for any broken phones

Cleaning it out wont work, got mine cleaned recently and it's still not charging properly. Samsung totally screwed all of their customers over.

by Kramer Hechenova

contact cleaner? Where do I get it? Is that what I ask salesperson for contact cleaner?

by jennifer

Replacing the usb charging port needs the use of a 'hot air' soldering iron. Google for part number 3722-003512 and find a local tv repair shop as they should have the skills and equipment to replace it. Or you can invest in a wireless charging kit (search eBay for 'galaxy s3 wireless charging') and use wifi to move your files..

My galaxy 3 stopped charging. I first bought a new charger thinking that was the problem with now luck. I bought a new battery, still no luck. My daughter in law told me she saw online that the galaxy 3 was having issues with the port on the phone collecting dirt and dust. She took to Best Buy and they cleaned it with a wipe around a pin and its working fine. I tried cleaning the port with a pin and believe it or not I'm not having any charging issues. I did not use any contact cleaner or any other cleaning solution just a pin. Hope this helps.

You just need to hold down the power button and volume button at the same time for 30 seconds. My brother threw his away thinking it was broke. Mine wasn't charging so I called the customer hotline and they told me to hold those buttons and sure enough it came back on!!

this fixed mine! happy thankyou

by blackcrow28

This seems to be a very common (and recurring) problem with Galaxy S3 phones. One alternative is to buy a battery wall charger (very cheap, less than $3) and maybe an extra battery (likewise cheap) and charge your phone battery that way. Less hassle, no soldering.

I have this problem try going to a repair shop it will cost £20 to £40

The galaxy s3 is notorious for the design of the charge port allowing the contact pins to break their solder joints to the board.

The big reason I'm replying to this super old thread is this. I have repaired more of these phones than I can count and something that I see over and over is people doing further damage to their device by rigging it up instead of fixing it. Here is what happens...

A couple of the pins crack or break making an intermittent connection with the board, at this point, the charger will still work but you notice some issues occasionally. You likely buy a new charger to see if that fixes it. A few weeks later you notice the problem has gotten worse so you do some work with google and find instruction to wiggle it, jam stuff up into it, pull the charger off to one side, etc. What is going on in the phone at this point is the cracked joints have gotten worse, trying to make the phone charge there have been more connections damaged or the already damaged ones are further damaged. A few weeks later, you have a hard time keeping the phone with enough juice to turn on and finally break down and carry it in to me for repair. The problem is, the constant wiggling of the connector will pull the traces off the board making my job harder and your repair more expensive. I've even seen one or two that could not be repaired. I've seen dozens that required some "creative work" to get patched back up because the device is damaged at the board level. For those not familiar, you cannot simply swap out the logic board. its the brains of the phone and the most expensive part. THAT is what you are risking by not correctly repairing this problem.

If you can do this repair, more power to you. I'd advise you be extraordinarily careful the youtube videos can be misleading as to the level of complexity you're getting into. Otherwise, find a reputable shop that can get you squared away before the damage goes further and damages the traces on your phone.

I too have repaired many, many of these phones (probably not quite 1000 but probably getting close!) and I agree with everything you've said here. If you try to fix it by cleaning the port be *very* careful. If it works on and off when wiggled it needs to be fixed before the board is damaged and it's harder to fix.

by Johnathan George

My S3 stopped charging a few months ago. Cleaned out port with a pin a while ago. I got lots of gunk out, but still didn't work. Was going to send back to Samsung (since still under warranty), even was reading about resoldering in a new usb port ... but then tried spraying it with a contact cleaner and started charging again. Much easier - thx

Stupid question, but what is contact cleaner, exactly?

by Christa

I figured it out and the contact cleaner seems to have done the trick...thank goodness. I wasn't looking forward to soldering in a new port.

by Christa

I have this problem as well. I tried to get the charging port fixed, but they couldn't fix it. I have only had my Samsung S3 for 6 months and the charging port stopped working. I just ordered an external battery charger to charge the battery itself.then I will put the battery back into the phone. You can order them from Amazon or Ebay.

I have the problem with my second hand device and it's happened recently again best bet is to go to a local Samsung shop as they will repair it cheaper than any other place and it's around £40 to do it. I hope that's helped

my charger port is not working. I dropped my phone a few weeks ago and I think it might have been the reason. I tried using a toothpick and while I did get the excess lint out it still does not charge. What could I do to have it start charging again? I need an alternative until my contract is over in about 2 months. I need a solution please and thank you.

did you read the solutions above? plenty of help there. alternatively start your own question and get this problem noticed..at the moment it's at the bottom of a thread started in 2013

by pollytintop

the cardboard insertion underneaththe spot where the pins are in the phone worked for me!!!!!!!!!!:)

by Kayla Kertesz

kishore magar will be eternally grateful.