Samsung Galaxy S III

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a multi-touch, slate-format smartphone with eye-tracking ability, increased storage, and a wireless charging option.

Galaxy s3 usb port not working?

My galaxy s3 port is damaged i guess ,cause no charging even if i turn off the phone not detected by my laptop tried different charger and cables still not working.Does updating software will solve my problem?

or i have to change the port? if i have to change port can any one guide me??

Can u fix them yourself and how much would that be?

by Hayden Woods

Most Helpful Answer

On the s3 their are around 10 pins that need to be soldered to the board. If one of those has come up from the board from a jolt or drop, it could still charge but have charging issues so it most certainly could be the port needs replacing or resoldering. If you have tried a battery I would definitely try replacing the charging port. I found a company that does the s3 port repair. Here it is: S3 Charging Charging Port Repair Link

DIY S3 Repair Video (need equipment and skillset)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9guHq4Ve...

Hope this helps!

Jon

Charging my SGS3 suddenly only worked with one of my USB cables and a couple chargers. Charging was slow as well. I reflashed my ROM (SlimKAT), then a new kernel (BMS) in order to enable fast charging. Still no luck. I cleaned the USB port with 99% Isopropanol --> still slow charging. I took apart my phone and then touched up the solder joints of the USB connector with a fine tip iron, some leaded solder and flux. I inspected the solder joints under magnification and it all looked good. reassembled my phone and now it charges fast with any cable and charger again. :-)

by Michael Robins

kishore magar, if you need to replace the port, use this guide to get to it. Use a hot air rework station, or alike to unsolder the port from the board. Check for cracked solder prior to replacing it, a simple reflow of the solder on the part may be all that is needed. Hope this helps, good luck.

90% of the time charging issues are caused by dirty pin connectors on the s3 port they get filled with crap and every time the charger is plugged in it compacts this dirt and makes things worse i have fixed all my friends s3's and all of them had the same problem

fix: 1 can of contact cleaner

spray a small amount inside phone port and then in charger plug insert and remove plug about 6 times respray both the plug and charger port and repeat this about 5 times and all is good if its not your phone port must be damaged and will need repairing by a technician.

i have had no problems doing this but still attempt at your own risk as i will not be held responsible for any broken phones

Cleaning it out wont work, got mine cleaned recently and it's still not charging properly. Samsung totally screwed all of their customers over.

by Kramer Hechenova

contact cleaner? Where do I get it? Is that what I ask salesperson for contact cleaner?

by jennifer

Replacing the usb charging port needs the use of a 'hot air' soldering iron. Google for part number 3722-003512 and find a local tv repair shop as they should have the skills and equipment to replace it. Or you can invest in a wireless charging kit (search eBay for 'galaxy s3 wireless charging') and use wifi to move your files..

my phone has this issue with the charger port also. I got it fixed last year in December and within 6 months the port was giving me issues again believe it or not a rubber band and faith is all that is keeping this battery alive every night and i hate to get rid of a phone less than 2 year old but i think it is time for a change.

Replacing the usb charging port needs the use of a 'hot air' soldering iron. Google for 3722-003512 and find a local tv repair shop as they should have the skills and equipment to replace it. Or you can invest in a wireless charging kit (search eBay for 'galaxy s3 wireless charging') and use wifi to move your files..

by LE55ONS

My phone has completely capped out. It won't charge no matter what I do. And I know my charger port is broken, or there's something wrong with it, cause I've do else everything that I could and nothing has worked. It used to be that the only way it would charge was if I put hair ties on it and wrapped it so that the charger was really such in the port (that was the only way it would work) and this happened around january. But now... it's really not doing well and won't charge at all. Any help or advice? Do I have to get a new port?

After cleaning the USB female port it still didn't work however did find out that by lifting the cable a few degrees while in the port a connection was made and charging was good. Eventually I made a plastic strip, the thickness of a business card and the width of the port ( very important), then stuck it under the USB tongue on the phone. When a cable is inserted into the phone it connects and charges every time. Have been dong this for 9 months now and waiting until contract is up to get an updated phone, 7 months to go!

This helped a lot. A credit card was too thick (I know you said business card, that was just what I had immediately handy, and tried first), I ended up using one side of the laminate of a laminated card, which is paper thin. It's a much more snug connection now, and the charging connection is more reliable.

by Sean Johnson

My S3 stopped charging a few months ago. Cleaned out port with a pin a while ago. I got lots of gunk out, but still didn't work. Was going to send back to Samsung (since still under warranty), even was reading about resoldering in a new usb port ... but then tried spraying it with a contact cleaner and started charging again. Much easier - thx

Stupid question, but what is contact cleaner, exactly?

by Christa

I figured it out and the contact cleaner seems to have done the trick...thank goodness. I wasn't looking forward to soldering in a new port.

by Christa

My galaxy 3 stopped charging. I first bought a new charger thinking that was the problem with now luck. I bought a new battery, still no luck. My daughter in law told me she saw online that the galaxy 3 was having issues with the port on the phone collecting dirt and dust. She took to Best Buy and they cleaned it with a wipe around a pin and its working fine. I tried cleaning the port with a pin and believe it or not I'm not having any charging issues. I did not use any contact cleaner or any other cleaning solution just a pin. Hope this helps.

Hey Everyone! i too have had much difficulty with the gs3's charging port but i just found out why the phone wont charge and a quick solution for it without rigging the phone up with rubber bands or hair ties. The charging pins are only on the top of the port and most every charger is not thick enough for the s3 so you simply slide a peice of paper under the bottom half of the port then input your charger and the paper will keep it held up. This has been working for me and hopefully it does the same for all of you!

I've got a similar problem with my European i9300.. A while ago it stopped charging properly. More recently the battery discharges while charging, and the usb cord has to be removed and reinserted many many times for it to get a decent connection. I started wiggling it as it is extremely frustrating to have a phone that is so iffy to charge and when it does finally decide to charge the battery goes on a rampage destroying itself in the process. This phone is like a baby throwing hissy fits when it doesn't get charged by having the system completely turned off. I'm interested in replacing the Port myself as most repair places are quoting $80-95 to replace it :/ but am scared to fiddle around with the phone when it's opened up. Don't particularly want to damage anything else. I don't have the money to upgrade yet.

You don't have very many options. Either replace the port itself or pay somebody to get it fixed.

by oldturkey03

Why not get a cheap wireless charging kit online. I got mine for $17 (www.dx.com/p/x5-qi-standard-mobile-wireless-power-charger-samsung-galaxy-s3-wireless-charger-receiver-black-298127#reviews) Use wifi, Bluetooth and NFC to transfer data.

by themba

You just need to hold down the power button and volume button at the same time for 30 seconds. My brother threw his away thinking it was broke. Mine wasn't charging so I called the customer hotline and they told me to hold those buttons and sure enough it came back on!!

kishore magar will be eternally grateful.