250 GB HDDSWAPPING For a solid state drive?

I have a 17" late 2008 MacBook Pro last three serial #'s are 1Q3 and I want to swap out the original HDD for either a 500gb SATA or a solid state drive. Can I mount a solid state drive in this unit?

Yes but for SSD you'd need a kit. Your machine is a SATA I you'll find possible read/write problems with trying to use a SATA III drive (SATA II should be ok). Many people have come here with stalling/freezing problems and found out that their "backward compatible SATA III drives" really weren't doing so well.

Buy from a vendor that guarantees the drive to work in your box, and will replace it if it doesn't without a restock charge.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

thank you machead3. One other question I have is related to capacity. Does a SSD hold more data per GB than a SATA HDD? IE I have a 250GB HDD if I installed a 250 GB SSD is its capacity greater?

No the capacity is the same, the read speed is of an SSD faster, the write speed is about the same.

Brian Zongker will be eternally grateful.