27" display with 2560 x 1440 pixels resolution Thunderbolt & MagSafe cable attachments

Disconnect thunderbolt cable from display

How to disconnect thunderbolt cable from display?

hi Vasiliy,

Looking at the Apple Thunderbolt Display Teardown, step 2: The Thunderbolt Display also comes with a built-in Thunderbolt cable attached to a Universal MagSafe cable.. At the end of the tear down the cable is still in place.

Basically we can conclude that it is not user removable from the outside.

However Apple Thunderbolt Display Teardown, step 10: Interestingly enough, the Thunderbolt cable that routes into the display also plugs into a standard Thunderbolt socket on the logic board. Apple could have just soldered the cable wires to the board, but instead chose to implement a cover that prevents the cable from being detached from the logic board's Thunderbolt socket.

It looks like apple made it relatively easy to replace because there is a Thunderbolt socket inside the device. So one Can replace the cable if they open the display up with either the correct cable designed for the display or if you need a longer cable you can also swap out to a standard Thunderbolt cable, but you loose the MagSafe cable to power your laptop.

I hope this helps!

This guide helped me out a lot!

Is it possible to just buy a thunderbolt to thunderbolt cable to connect my laptop to the screen since my embedded cord is split and not working?

Yes, you can by a thunderbolt-thunderbolt cable and plug it into the thunderbolt port on the back of the display. I did this and it works fine.

Thanks. this saved the day for me. I did have to shave off some plastic from the new thunderbolt cable, and completely remove the mag safe cable, so that i could use the same hole in the back of the monitor. Now my monitor has a 6 foot cable, and i won't be having trouble plugging it into my computer anymore!

@adriandatriguiran Did you replaced your cable with a normal thunderbolt cable?

Yes. But I had to shave the plastic off one end of it or it would not fit in the space reserved for it. This becomes obvious once you remove the old cable.

This post truly saved my company money that would have been spent on buying an entirely new display monitor. I looked on several sites for the replacement display cable before I finally found an inexpensive one, $18.99, on Amazon. The cable came in great condition. My only nervousness about doing this repair was removing the screen with fear of not being able to reattach it the same. I assumed that the glass screen display was held by tape. To my surprise, the screen attaches with magnets. AWESOME!! It took me over an hour, nearly two hour actually, to break down the monitor in order to get to the cable. It took me about 20 to 30 minutes to put all the components back into place in order to test the new cables. To my frustration, it did not work. So, I just walked away from the device and went home. I returned in the morning and took the monitor apart again to find that I'd forgotten to connected ONE cable. LOL After putting the device back together and connected it to my Macbook, the display immediately worked. Thanks again for the guide!

Vasiliy will be eternally grateful.