Apple Thunderbolt Display Repair

27 inches, 2560 x 1440 res... and THUNDERBOLT!

Disconnect thunderbolt cable from display

How to disconnect thunderbolt cable from display?

Most Helpful Answer

hi Vasiliy,

Looking at the Apple Thunderbolt Display Teardown, step 2: The Thunderbolt Display also comes with a built-in Thunderbolt cable attached to a Universal MagSafe cable.. At the end of the tear down the cable is still in place.

Basically we can conclude that it is not user removable.

However Apple Thunderbolt Display Teardown, step 10: Interestingly enough, the Thunderbolt cable that routes into the display also plugs into a standard Thunderbolt socket on the logic board. Apple could have just soldered the cable wires to the board, but instead chose to implement a cover that prevents the cable from being detached from the logic board's Thunderbolt socket.

It looks like apple made it relatively easy to replace because there is a Thunderbolt socket inside the device.

I hope this help!

Mentioned Items

Thanks. this saved the day for me. I did have to shave off some plastic from the new thunderbolt cable, and completely remove the mag safe cable, so that i could use the same hole in the back of the monitor. Now my monitor has a 6 foot cable, and i won't be having trouble plugging it into my computer anymore!

@adriandatriguiran Did you replaced your cable with a normal thunderbolt cable?

Yes. But I had to shave the plastic off one end of it or it would not fit in the space reserved for it. This becomes obvious once you remove the old cable.

Vasiliy will be eternally grateful.