2.3GHz, 2.6GHz, or 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache.

405 Questions View all

I have a water damaged Retina MacBook Pro, what are my options?

I have a water damaged 15" rMBP, everything works fine and dandy except that it will not charge. Maybe it's the charger? The battery? The cable that connects the battery feeding power to the system? No idea. I can only use it if it's plugged in which is a HUGE bummer for me. I have Apple Care, but Apple obviously won't help me. I tried and they didn't, I don't think a different rep would make a difference . I know I messed up, but I've come to accept that fact at this point. I was wondering if there is anything I could try/fix/replace to get the charging working again? If there was water damage to the logic board wouldn't everything else stop to work as well? Theres gotta be something to try.. please help!

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0

Comments:

just remove the battery and logic board from top case and clean it properly. then try it

by

Do you want to sell this macbook pro ?

by

Pull the logic board out, and clean it well, especially the battery connector (the plug on the logic board itself). I would recommend using a tiny bit of DeOxit D5. It will clean and increase the conductivity of the metal. You can get it at Guitar Center or online. Let it dry for a couple hours before turning it back on.

by

You do have to be very careful with contact cleaners in general.

Ones with a lube really shouldn't be used on logic boards. It you must use it clean off the lube with a non-lube cleaner afterwards. Dust tends to cling onto the lube and it tends to migrate into & under the chips and other components causing them to fail. If you use them near the LCD you can damage it.

While the idea of something that neutralizes the oxides (corrosion) on a logic board would be ideal, I have not found one which does not effect the chips & SMD components negatively over time. Remember once you clean the board of the corrosion it won't continue to corrode. So the need for a preventative solution is not really needed.

by

Add a comment
Spread Fixmas Cheer
Get $12 off your purchase of $50 or more with code FIXMAS12
Spread Fixmas Cheer
Get $12 off your purchase of $50 or more with code FIXMAS12

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

It's not the charger if you can use it plugged in. Have you tried replacing the battery or logic board that's what I would do first.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1

Comments:

I agree with Jamie here - If the system is working with a charger then your battery or DC inboard could be damaged from being wet. If the battery is OK (charged) then the logic board control logic is blown which means the logic board will need repair or replacement. Of course this is after you have fully cleaned things up.

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

Rohan Harrison will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 1

Past 30 Days: 3

All Time: 2,945