Model A1311 / Mid 2010 / 3.06 & 3.2 GHz Core i3 or 3.6 GHz Core i5 Processor

Can I upgrade my CPU and GPU?

Hello eveybody. I own an iMac with these specifications:

iMac 21.5" (Mid 2010)

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3

Memory: 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB

I want to upgrade my CPU to an i5 or i7. Also I want to upgrade my graphics card. Can I do these upgrades? If YES, can you tell me exactly what parts do I need? (CPU model, Graphics Card model).

Upgrading the processor and graphics card in any iMac is not something that is typically done or possible, in most cases. In order to upgrade your processor you would need to replace the entire logic board, which cost a lot of money and not worth doing. You may be able to upgrade the video card but you would have to buy a video card from apple that would be compatible with your iMac and again it would be very expensive. If you provide your serial number I can give you a better idea what options there are and pricing. Hope this helps!

Hey ACP. Thanks for your answer. Here is my S/N: QP1140J4DB7

Most Helpful Answer

The actual answer is "it depends". If you have an iMac that came with a basic processor (like an i5) and want to upgrade it to a faster one (like an i7) then the next step is to check for an i7 that uses the same socket as the i5 that came with your system. The early/mid 2011 i5 iMac 27" uses an LGA 1156 socket, so it can be upgraded to an i7-860 which uses the same socket (2.86GHz quad core using 95 watts).

So you really have to do your homework and shop aggressively before making the decision on whether to jump into it or not.

As for the GPU, ACP nailed it with his answer

Andrei Raileanu will be eternally grateful.