HTC Evo 4G LTE

The HTC Evo 4G LTE is an Android smartphone developed by HTC Corporation to be released exclusively by Sprint.

How to recover (internal data from) completely dead/powerless phone?

My son dunked my Evo 4G LTE under a foot of water. It was still on, so I powered it off by holding the top button down, then dried it out in rice for several days. Plugged it in, powered it on - amazing! Looked great! Had to leave for work, by the time I arrived an hour later the phone was a brick - no power, no reset holding the top button (with or without volume up or down), when connected to a computer via USB it neither registers no demonstrates any sign of power.

My main concern is the first four months of my daughter's life in video and photo stored on the phone's internal storage (android "phone memory"). I know, I should have backed it up, but I have two in diapers so best practice sometimes falls by the wayside. I did not have automatic upload set up via dropbox or google.

The phone is under warranty, sprint offered a refurbished for $35 - so I know I can get a working phone back, but I'll gladly opt to pay for a new phone and rip this one apart to get my data back.

Questions for the pros:

1. Is there any hope of recovering the data by recovering the phone? I'm not much of a hardware hacker so this would be easiest for me.

. 1a. Could it just be the battery is trashed? Is it possible to get/replace just the battery?

. 1b. Since USB doesn't bring power, could it be part of the power "subsystem," something that I could independently replace?

-

2. Alternatively, does anyone out there know how to get to and read this phone's internal storage?

. 2a. Is it a card or chip that can be removed and accessed outside of a phone?

. 2b. A card or chip that I could remove an put into another Evo 4g LTE, or that I could put into a replacement "motherboard" for the same phone?

. 2c. Can I solder some wires somewhere on the phone to try to access the data from another UI (this would be running in the tall grass for me, but I'll certainly try anything)?

For any solution, links to video or written narrative / instructions would be great, but even tips in the right direction or things that have worked on other phones could be helpful.

future reference dont use rice or try manually tuning off the phone, just go straight for the battery and pull it out and leave it out till it is 100% fully dry and clean.

by qpunk

Buddy, you'd better send it to the repair shop first to check if it can be fixed or not. If yes, you can try some data recovery apps to see if you can use this kind of apps to recover your pictures or not. Here is one post you may need: http://gg.gg/3r7jo

by miranda0566

very nice 100% fully dry and clean

by Mohsin Khokher

Eggs Green, you may check if you have saved it to an SD card. The slot should be at the top of the phone, you will see a notch below the power button. Insert your fingernail or a coin into that notch and pull back to remove the upper portion of the back. your SD card (if you have one) should be in there. Use an external adapter on your computer to access it. If you do not have it, and were saving to the external NAND memory, there is no way (only for the very advanced hackers ;-)) to access that. If you are adventurous enough check on here. I would try and see if the phone will give you enough life after cleaning it and seeing if you can resolve some of the water damage. Use the iPhone 3G guide from here for a general idea on how to clean it. Here is a good video that will show you how to tear down your phone. After you cleaned it, replace the battery and reevaluate. If that does not work for you, I would suggest a data recovery company to get your videos. Hope this helps, good luck.

Mentioned Items

iPhone Image

Guide

Repairing iPhone Liquid Damage

by pollytintop Difficulty: Difficultone or two hours

there's too many useless responses here people. the phone was in water, that means it surged out. it's not just a dead battery issue. it's a dead phone. Androids do the same thing iPhone's do, except iPhone's give people bragging rights, as far as usability is concerned, it's not worth the price/bill difference.

I just did the same thing (phone in water, rice, nothing). there appears to be no hope. I can install retrieval apps to my dead phone via the computer but I can't open them to activate them on the phone so they'll sync to the web access. I'm installing FolderSync (and there's several other apps that do the same) now which is automatically syncing my pics to GoogleDrive from now on. I'm screwed for the old pics but it won't happen again. all we can do is be better prepared next time.

your response is no less useless. may be even more

by zloi dooraque

It seems possible ...

WARNING! - Refurbished only means you will get a working phone back.

Even if they guarantee to return it with your data intact, be VERY CAREFUL! they are just telephone call handlers and do not know for sure what will happen, also people do not tick all the correct boxes and others do not look at all the boxes, so you could loose out those ways!

I am very surprised that there is no information on this subject.

It must have been an issue for 1000's of people over the past few years.

My problem is that "back up has stopped", would not re-install, and I could not find out why (it said memory, but there was loads free - since found it was talking about Dalvik).

Over the weeks I built up a collection of useful information and photos which I do not want to loose.

I am assuming yours is an Android phone, but even if it's a Windows phone, the principle is still probably the same.

It appears to be possible to recover files from the internal memory of a dead phone using a PC, free software and USB cable.

The principle is start the Flashing process, BUT do not Flash the phone, because I can not be sure it would not destroy your data / files.

When at the stage to be able to Flash the phone, effectively your PC thinks it is communicating have a "USB memory device".

This is achieved by removing the phones USB driver and substituting another driver (to enable the Flashing process).

I've not had the time to spend on it that I need.

I will come back when I do finish ...

BUT do not wait for me, there seems to be too many things going wrong, and the most important get done first. Which is why I have things waiting for over 1 year now.

One problem I have is that Windows keeps throwing out the "substitution USB driver" and replacing it with the original phone USB driver.

Windows thinks the phones driver is more suitable, so automatically re-installs it.

I know the issue, I've had it several times previously with the "unknown device USB driver" (a crash causes the driver change). I just need to find the "Windows stored back up driver", delete it, then Windows will happily accept the "substitution driver".

Ahhh, the joys of owning a MS Windows computer :-(

Some usefull software names :-

USB VCOM Driver

Windows drivers - A25_USB_VCOM_Drivers

usbdeview_droidtricks

Some useful search terms :-

brick

unbrick

flash rom

SP Flash Tool exe v3 (not to use, but the process' before is what's wanted).

Searches with search engines (Google, Yahoo, etc.), also You Tube (I could only find Flashing, but as previously, it's the process up to the "Flashing point" that you are interested in).

Sorry it's unfinished information, but at least it gives you hope and some where to start.

Data Recovery firms will be able to recovery the data / files and some are open to "please help, I'm skint ...", by reducing their prices to a poor private person, but they will not do it for free.

So good luck to all of us.

Thank you very much for your long post. Definately something to try out there before sending it anywhere. Thank you

by Jacob

I don't think I will get this solution to work though since there seems to be no connection to my phone on the micro-USB. Nothing shows when I try to charge it, no light is turned on or anything nor when I plug into the computer and try with adb. Do you reckon I should still try the process you described?

by Jacob

I got seriously lucky. A repairing company took my phone in and tested it and said it couldn't be done. It was dead. Then an other company said - nah other companies quit too easily. Send it to us, if we can't repair it or you don't want to pay we will send it back to you for free. An offer too good to be true it seemed. Yet within a couple of days they told me they were now almost able to boot it but it failed just before the OS loaded. It showed to be a heating problem. This they solved by cooling it to -40 degree Celcius and now they were able to boot it up and recover the data. Phone was dead after that but I got what I needed - all the beautiful pictures of my baby daugther and the rest of the family. Most excellent service. A danish company though if anyone is looking for one let me know.

by Jacob

I am facing same problem.could you please help me.

by Ranjith

Hi jacob, Please give me details....

by Ranjith

You can try a call MobiKin Doctor for Android to recover internal data from your HTC phone. Here you can restore internal data from HTC easily. Besides, you can recover contacts, text messages, photos, music, video, books, app, files, etc from android phone to computer or mac. It have high compatibility and can support more than 2000 android phones. You can have a detailed view. Hope this helps!

This is a detail guide: http://goo.gl/UCHXAG

Again, this is useless if the phone won't power up.

by bbhank

Will this work if u don't know the password

by April

No. It will not.

by bbhank

There is a call Samsung Messages Backup software, you can use it to recover data from android phone easily and quickly. It works well.

http://goo.gl/MbdTz0

No you cannot. There is no software solution for a phone that will not power up by normal means. AND don't follow this link!!! If you want Samsung's software, it's readily available, get it from them.

by bbhank

Wow non of those answers were helpful...

When someone says DEAD phone... It's 100% a brick... Can't turn on, no lights, computer doesn't detect!!

I'm having this problem and was hoping for some sort of internal phone hard drive to USB adapter. I can turn ANY other type of hard drive into an external USB. So is there such a device to use with a small phone internal hard drive. (Not an SD card...)

I wouldn't minding soldering the thing in / out or a 1 time use thing but I too have the first 2 months of my daughters life on that phone, along with some other videos of my 1 1/2 year old playing...

So with a DEAD phone there is no way to download / upload a program to run data recovery software. Only way is to remove HD and put into something that will work... So I think the question is who makes one and where can I buy it? Or do I need to get another same model phone and try to swap the drives out?

Any luck so far with regards to this getting data directly from the internal storage? I ask since I'm roughly in the same situation. One morning I snoozed the phone - next thing the phone was permanently dead and I too have precious pictucres of my baby daugther. Alternately I'm looking for the service online but I don't seem to have much luck finding any offering this service.

by Jacob

@Nick, sorry but there are no hard drives in smart phones. All the information is stored on memory IC's (chips) which are in turn soldered to the logic board. There are no adapters, no shortcuts. It's a situation where you either fix the logic board, use a professional data recovery service and consider your information a lost cause.

by oldturkey03

No luck yet no. Those chips can be removed very easily from computer motherboards and replaced with working chips. So it's with reasonable logic they can do that for phones. I realize this involves soldering, as I mentioned in first comment. Do you think a phone that can't turn on would stop the FBI or NSA from taking a look at it's contents? It seems like a very easy task for someone with some nice soldering equipment... Potential $$$ in this apparently

by Nick

Nand card reader is what we need by the sounds of it... I found a local guy in Minnesota that claims he can do it for $150. Or check out the Nand readers, seems a bit technical but I think I'm on the right path now

by Nick

anything but easy to resolder those unless you know how to reball. There is a bit more to it than just throwing it in a NAND reader. You will need a complete setup in order to read the information within the chip, which is also encrypted. "Do you think a phone that can't turn on would stop the FBI or NSA from taking a look at it's contents?" I am actually quite familiar with the process that is being used by any decent forensic lab.....Let us know how it works out for you.

by oldturkey03

Read this article to get knowledge about NAND and data recovery. nut your memory module more complicated than article explained.

https://www.blackhat.com/docs/us-14/mate...

This is not about dead cell phone data recovery at all.

by bbhank

For Hard Drive Recovery you should go to an expert and they will get your data back very nicely and with guarantee.

Score -1

This is not relative to phones.

by bbhank

Eggs Green will be eternally grateful.