iPad Mini Repair

7.9 inch display iPad Mini, with 16, 32, or 64 GB of storage.

iPad Mini Wake Magnet Sensor

Nice teardown report! Finally we get to see what's inside. I'm looking for the wake magnet sensor.

I figure it should be along the right side but I can't tell from your pics.

Any ideas?

Hi ColinG, glad you liked the teardown!

We just took a magnet to a new iPad Mini and found the sleep sensor is about half an inch to the right of the home button on the bottom bezel:

From our teardown images, it appears to be on the digitizer cable, attached to the back of the front display here:

(This agrees with Jim Thorpe's findings in opening the smart cover—thanks, Jim!)

Hey y'all, i know this is an old post, but I was looking for the same answer, so after looking and looking, I figured out where the two magnets are. Hope this helps someone!!

(**Edit 7/13/13 - realized once I put mini back together that the 1st magnet was actually positioned at top of digitizer!)

Looks like some of these presoldered digitizers are coming without the magnetic sensors which are located on the home button flex cable. After purchasing two of these I ended up having to harvest the OEM home button flex and moving it to the purchased digitizer. I sent a picture to the seller showing the issue. I figured I ought to put it up for your viewing as well. Note that this is showing one of the sensors near the home button. There is another sensor near the soldering joints which is a bit smaller. You can see how they work together in the youtube video above.

Thanks, Mark T.

I'm looking for the same information. Seems like maybe the sleep/wake function may rely on more than one magnet. I tore apart a cover today, will be using it as a template for my own covers. Here's the magnet layout:

https://bu.mp/i9KRT3

Turns out, there are actually TWO magnetic triggers for sleep/wake in the iPad mini: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRO3Uaq-w... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EoPt1PA6...

by Jim Thorpe

Interesting! I tested with just a large loose magnet and got it to wake/sleep using the position I marked. We'll definitely take a closer look soon. Thanks for the update!

by Andrew Optimus Goldberg

i replaced digi in my ipad mini but when i press it harder on the bottom (right side) it kinda switches off or locks. when i press it again, menu shows up. there are two magnets sticked to the digitizer. what went wrong?

Does anybody have better pictures of the the magnets in place at all please?

In this Video you can see the exact positon of the 2 magnets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e565I-Z7-...

Does anyone know where to get the two magnets jenny showed in her picture on the internet for a decent price? During my first iPad mini repair I forgot to remove them from the old digitizer resulting in a disabling of using the sleep wake function with magnetic covers.

where can i buy the magnets .

Anyone knows why after replacing and adding the magnets to a new digitizer the Smart Cover won't work?

yes, it is because the smart cover lock/unlock function requires some surface mount components on the home flex that are almost always missing from aftermarket home flexes. The magnets have nothing to do with smartcover function--they just secure the cover so it doesn't flap open.

by jessabethany

So does this mean I can't use the smart cover with them magnets in? I did a screen replacement added the magnets (proper ones) but the cover isnt even catching so therefore its not locking the iPad when closed.. Any ideas? Be much appreciated thanks

by aaroncleary1

ColinG will be eternally grateful.