0

carlloven
1

Upgrading storage for iPod 3g

I have an old iPod 3g I found and needs some repairs. But it will soon be back on its feet.

Problem is the old drive is busted also, or almost. So I was thinking of getting a new cheaper and bigger drive. What I was wondering is my limitations for the size, both physical and storage wise. The model I have is 10 gigabyte

Edited by: mayer ( )

1

carlloven , the 3rd Generation iPods can use any of the 10, 15, 20, 30 and 40GB Toshiba pin type 1.8" drives that end in 004, such as MK2004GAL, MK3004GAL, MK1504GAL, etc. Do NOT use any MKXX06GAL series in a 3rd gen iPod. Hope this helps, good luck.

So if I buy the 1.8" inch 120 gb IDE, or Ultra ATA as it is also called, it would not work, nor fit the casing?

carlloven,

might have trouble with the interface. Your iPod HDD is a 4200 RPM ATA-66 drive

But a any regular ATA 100 drive would fit?

carlloven,

So after googling for hours I reached this information. There are no drives with pins bigger than 80 gigabyte for iPod 3g. But that drive is 8mm, and therefore bigger than my iPod 10 gb. I don't know this because I found no answer, but shouldn't just changing backs add the extra mm for the bigger drive? And also, that Zif to CF card could work, but would force me to spend a lot of money on cf card to gain space....

carlloven,

0

Jay Curts

You will need a mini 1.8" IDE HDD as far as physical specs.