0

Luca Vicini
13

Upgrade with a compatible Seagate 3Tb hard disk

I need to upgrade my the Hard Disk of my iMac 27" i7 2.8Ghz EMC 2374 (late 2009)

It has already a 1Tb Seagate hard disk, therefore because the problem related to the temperature sensor I need a Hard Disk from the same family. On http://blog.macsales.com/2751-proprietar... I can see a list of compatible hard disks but none is 3TB.

I was wondering if the Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 is compatible.

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( ) , Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , machead3 ( )

Why can't you use an external 3TB disk?

machead3,

Performance is the primary reason. With an external storage solution the USB2.0 or the Firewire interface will act as a bottleneck.

Luca Vicini,

Perhaps you bought the wrong machine? A Mac Pro, or a new iMac with Thunderbolt would give you access to the larger faster storage you demand. Sometimes you have to know when to stop throwing good $ after bad. It's like trying to aftermarket a chevy Malibu to get the performance of Corvette.

machead3,

It was the perfect machine for me back in 2009 when I bought it. Adding extra capacity will extend a bit the life of this iMac.

Luca Vicini,

I forgot to mention that a 3TB barracuda costs around 145€ (182USD at present rates) here in Europe. A rather inexpensive upgrade.

Luca Vicini,

2

Dan

Luca -

Why didn't you use Apples migration Assistant software? It's multi-threaded. Don't know if Super Duper is multi-threaded or not.

Hi Dan, I completely forgot about Apple migration assistant :-) This is exactly what I need as By the way, carbon copy cloner result was quite unreliable and super duper didn't clone the mountain lion recovery partition (I had to create it manually).

Luca Vicini,

Hi Dan, migration assistant is the most reliable and fast way to do the migration job. Cheers :)

Luca Vicini,

1

machead3

You could use any any standard 3.5" 3TB drive - BUT you'll have to kluge the fans with software.

If this answer was helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

Edited by: machead3 ( )

I checked the interface specs of the temperature sensor on the 3TB Seagate barracuda and in theory it should be compatible with the iMac motherboard. I ordered the hard disk and will try to swap the hard disks next week. I will keep you up to date on the results.

Luca Vicini,

Great! It worked beautifully. The thermal sensor in the new 3T hard disk is compatible with the mother board :-) I rebooted the iMac with the old drive in an external enclosure, and I presently cloning the disk into the new internal drive. It will take a long time Super Duper is telling me that it will take more than 8 hours :-(

Luca Vicini,

0

Xose Castelo
1

Amazing. I have switched today from a 2TB western digital caviar green (5400rpm) with 80Mbytes/sec of R/W performance (more or less) and HDD Fan control to a 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 (7200rpm). The result is amazing, now is compatible with imac late 2009 temperature sensor (I don't need the HDD fan control which reads smart data that has an offset of 4ºC) and I get a performance of 140Mbytes/sec.

Since I was a Western Digital fan and most of my disk are from this manufacturer now I have to give 10 points to Seagate!.

Xose Castelo

0

Danny
11

@xose castelo

Do you use bootcamp with your 3tb hd? I am thinking about go from 1 to 3 tb in my iMac but need win 7 installed. Because I read that boot camp doesn't work with 3 tb yet, I am waiting for the answer if it's meant for the partition over 2.2 tb. Perhaps it works with a 1 tb partition for win 7 behind the os x partition....?

0

Massimo Cattaneo
1

Ciao Luca,

Did you manage to replace the HHD and get the fan working properly?

From Luca's & Xose posting (and my experience) No need any fan control software. Note this is the newer versions of the drive. Both Seagate & Western Digital have modified their drives to be compatible (newest models) to the Apple's SMART temp spec (the SMART spec did not define temp clearly as such everyone did their own thing which is why Apple had problems)

Dan,

0

Olivier SPIESS
1

Hi, the 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 is compatible with imac late and mid 2009. I use it on my emc 2309 imac and it works perfectly !

Best

Olivier