0

mneves
11

Samsung 830 SSD not working as internal hard disk

Hey guys!

I have a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB SATA hard disk working beautifully for the last 2 years on my MacBook Pro 13" mid-2009 computer and I thought about moving it to the CD drive bay and put an Samsung SSD 830 on the main HDD bay.

So, to start, I bought this Samsung SSD 830 series (256GB) but it is not working internally, only externally with the included SATA-USB adapter. I already installed Mountain Lion in it and it boots with this USB adapter, but do not boot internally.

Do you know what can I do to make it work please?

Thank you very much for your kind help on this.

Marcus.

== Update 1 ==

I discovered the problem. It was the cable! I exchanged the cable from my 2009 macbook pro for one from the 2011 early macbook pro edition and the drive is working flawlessly. Go figure!

In a nutshell, both cable works great with a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB but with this Samsung 830 SSD only the one that came with the 2011 MBP works.

But I am still waiting Samsung's answer for my e-mail.

== Update 2 ==

Unfortunately the drive is having a lot of problems when using it internally with the NVIDIA controller of the 2009 MBP Pro. Using it externally with the USB adapter works flawlessly. It is a shame. Maybe Samsung can update the firmware to allow it to work OK when using internally. I am thinking of selling the drive now, unfortunately.

Edited by: mneves ( ) , David Hodson ( )

Hi!!! I have bought the SAME hhd (250GB), with the SAME model of MBP. Have you fixed the issue?? Could you have some advices for me? Help me please.

Andrea Ciani,

I sold this HDD because I could not get it working internally only externally via USB... Maybe it works on a newer MBP model, who knows...

mneves,

0

machead3

I imagine it is a problem of the 830s 6/GBs SATA backward compatibility to the the laptops native 2/GBs SATA connection. Try contacting the vendor and question them about the suitability of the drive in the use for which you purchased it.

If this answer was helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

OK, thank you.

mneves,