0

truehybridx
1

Advice for stripped screw on rear vent?

I ended up stripping out the screw on the right side of the rear vent on step 4 Installing MacBook Unibody Model A1342 Dual Hard Drive

Due to lack of wanting to put a lot a pressure because i was scared id crack the screen :/

Any advice on how to extract this one at home given the location of the screw?

The dremel trick actually worked and allowed me to keep the old screw until i can get a replacement :D

truehybridx,

3

mayer

Precision Screw Extractor Set

I just ordered these and am interested to see how well they work: Screw Extracting Pliers

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/7393/...

Precision Screw Extractor Set

Four different sized extractor tools to help remove fasteners or screws with stripped heads. Driver head is claw shaped for maximum grip. Sizes range from 1.1mm to 2.0mm. — 50+ available at 19.95 each.

Screw Extracting Pliers

Pliers designed to firmly grip the heads of damaged screws. Specially designed jaws firmly grip screw heads, bolts, or nuts allowing you to twist out even the most damaged fasteners. Professional Grade tool. ESD-safe option. — 50+ available at 29.95 each.

0

vdegraaff
1

I actually stripped the same screw on one of those, I ended up grinding the metal lid off the rear vent where the screw was attached to. The screw goes straight into the casing and not through the mainboard, so it didn't do much harm.

Next time I'll be going for a more subtle approach with one of those pliers, though..