Teardowns I've Worked On
Guides I've Contributed To
Page 1 of 9
My Favorite Guides
Page 1 of 8
- I have a 24" Mid 2007 A1225 EMC 2134 that gives me a POST tone, 3 LED lights then shuts down and restarts. It then hangs on r...
- I had a customer come in with a 21.5" iMac Mid 2010. She had bought it on Craigslist with no hard drive in it. I formatted a ...
- I've seen this before but don't remember the problem. I ran an older version of tech Tool Pro and the artifact ( square and l...
- Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.1 13" (White-08) Specs Identifiers: Early 2008 - MB402LL/A* - MacBook4,1 - A1181 - 2242 I'm havi...
- I've seen so many problems with the hard drive/IR cable in the 2009-2011 MacBook Pro machines, I want to try the newer cable,...
- I have a top loading 20 year old Whirlpool washing machine. The agitator is rotating very slowly and I am hearing a grinding ...
- I've been using Media Feed OS X app for several years as a download manager. I buy credits from Rapid Share to use it. The ap...
- I have a customer with a new 2013 i5 MacMini running 10.8.3. She wants me to transfer her data from a Power Macintosh G5 2.0 ...
- I cloned in a new hard drive with 10.4 & OS9 using Superdupper. The machine will boot to the new OSX but I get a flashing flo...
- Now that we're seeing more SSD flash cards in Apple laptops I am looking for a Universal SSD flash card adapter. I've seen th...
Page 1 of 10
- The keyboards and trackpads are replaceable on the 15" machines but not on the 13" machines. I use an electric screwdriver to remove the (about 65) screws. Dan is right, it's a risk replacing the keyboard and a bit tedious. Removal and installation takes me about two hours and you do need to take care not to rip the black plastic bottom cover. There should be lots of them on eBay, if you can't find one, I probably have one in stock.
- I've had great luck with the new Seagate SSHD drives. Both the 2.5" and the 3". For your iMac, get a 3" drive. Use either an external enclosure or a Universal Adapter to hook it up. I use SuperDuper almost every day, I even bought the full version, I think it's one of the best utilities I've ever used.
- Go for the 2011. If the video goes bad Apple will fix it for free: http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/16/apple-opens-graphics-card-replacement-program-for-some-mid-2011-imacs/
- Internal screw set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-APPLE-CINEMA-DISPLAY-A1267-24-COMPLETE-SET-OF-INTERNAL-SCREWS-/171111450195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash... Case screws: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Of-12-Genuine-Screws-for-Apple-M8536-23-HD-Cinema-Display-Monitor-Case-/190763763789?pt=US_Monitor_Replacement_...
- Your machine has a Serial ATA 1.5 Gb/s BUS. If this is this the drive you got: HGST Travelstar Z7K500 HTS725050A7E630
(0J26005) 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive It is only backward compatible to 3 Gb/s.
- Drives fail. Start up from your SSD and run Disk Utilities of the other drive.
- There may be some type of adapter stuck on the end of this drive that can be pulled off. Can you post of picture of this black plastic? Also comport it to your old drive to see where, if any. the differences are. Is the drive to long or to thick?
- For the heating issue, I'd pull the fans, use canned air to blow them out and clean the vent behind them. Here's how: MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo Models A1226 and A1260 Left Fan Replacement Video issues may be coming from the nVidia 8600 GPU which had issues and a previous recall that has now expired.
- If you want 10.7 on your MacBook, hook them up via firewire cable. Use Target Mode by starting the MacBook with the "T" key held down. Use SuperDuper to clone the iMac hard drive. Or Start up the iMac with the 10.6 disk in it holding down the "C" key to boot from the DVD. Use Disk Utilities to format the new drive (GUID partition) and then install a system onto the MacBook.
- First, to help isolate the problem, hook it up to an external monitor to see if the GPU is putting out a signal. When trouble shooting issues it's best not to do upgrades. If the old drive was working, put it back in. Handle the SSD upgrade AFTER you have the machine running. Recheck your connections to the LED driver board: iMac Intel 27" EMC 2309 and 2374 LED Driver Board Replacement
Page 1 of 729
Great idea! How about adding an attachment to the bottom of the stand to hold a book open. Maybe use the speaker case cut to size. Affix it using the holes for the RAM access plate.
As the glass may be broken on these, I found that putting Duct tape across the broken screen helped keep it together better for easier removal. Also you might want to watch the small suction cup that comes in the kit as the metal pull ring melts right out, I had to use my bigger suction cups.
Thanks for a much needed guide addition! Great work!
This was probably the first guide I tried writing. I'm sure I made some errors and one is the order 7 should be before 6 but I don't know how to change it. You're more than welcome to try to improve it. These things aren't written in stone and most have contributions from many people. I'm done this many times without damaging any wires. You damaged the wires when forcing, I clipped the tabs off so that it wasn't forced, after all the thing is held on with screws.
Approximate replacement time 2hrs 15 mins