0

jolantalutow
1

Can you fix the prong where the power cable plugs in?

On the back of the super nintendo there is a prong where the power cord plugs in, I have replaced my cord, thinking it may have been a short, but it seems the prong itself is loose, causing the system to power off if it is moved slightly. Is there a way to fix this?

Jo

1

Justyn Zachariou
301

I suppose you can open it up (if you have the right nut driver thing, same as N64 and GC) and see if a solder joint broke loose. If you know how to solder you might be able to fix it. If you want to get a whole new replacement jack, it's somewhat complicated, as the different localizations use different plugs, jacks, voltages (not just changes in voltage, but AC vs. DC) and currents. Read this post here for some clarification. It seems the US SNES has a proprietary plug and jack, so good luck finding an exact replacement if you have that. If you're not afraid of modifying your case and power supply, you can get a different sized jack and plug, as long as the center is negative if you have DC.

Adding on to what Justyn Zachariou said. Replacing the power jack on the SNES is possible because I have done this on my SNES system. If you are not using the same proprietary jack as the SNES, make sure the plug you are replacing on the AC/DC adapter matches. You will have to unsolder the old voltage jack from the motherboard, which the jack is tightly fitted into the plastic back I/O panel. If your using a different type jack, you have to dremle off the old jack first and possibly cut or drill the existing hole to accommodate the new jack.

Lukas,

0

mayer

Look at the end of the plug and see if the outer retaining metal ring has been spread. This will cause lose of contact. It can be squeezed back together for a tight fit.