0

Kyle Miller
13

Replacing Trackpad - Tri-wing size?

Greetings all,

I'm replacing a cracked trackpad on my A1278, per Ben Eisenman's instructions here.

I do not own a tri-wing screwdriver or appropriate bit, and I wanted to make sure I ordered the right one(s). The six tri-wing screws on top seem to be significantly smaller than the tri-wing height adjustment screw, and I wouldn't think that the same size bit would work for both.

Could someone possibly confirm the sizes of these heads? Would the tri-wings from the 54 Piece Set, #0 and #1, be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by: Kyle Miller ( )

54 Bit Driver Kit

All the screwdriver bits you need to repair electronics, smartphones, tablets, computers, and game consoles in one handy toolkit. Kit includes Pentalobe, Flathead, Phillips, JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard), Torx, Torx Security, Hex, Square (or Robertso — 50+ available at 24.95 each.

2

mayer

yes

Sad to say that the #0 tri-wing bit was not small enough for the six screws affixing the trackpad to the aluminum body. It was only sufficient for the height adjustment screw.

Kyle Miller,

0

Brian Yanosik
1

@mayer

if #0 was not small enough, how did you remove the six screws?

0

Brian Hernandez
1

Waiting for my Tri-wing screwdriver to arrive. In the meantime I used an open side of my tweezers to slowly but successfully unscrew each of the tri-wing screws holding in the battery. Not recommended, but worked in a pinch for a client.