Linksys WAP54G Wireless Router Troubleshooting
- My Router Works, but I Can’t Connect to the Internet
- My Router Appears to Not Be Working at All
- The Wireless Signal Strength is Very Poor
My Router Works, but I Can’t Connect to the Internet ¶
LED Indicators ¶
Is the red LED light on?
- If the red LED is solid, then your router is working properly.
Is the orange LED light on?
- When the orange light is on, it indicates that a device is connected to the router using the ethernet cable in the back.
- If the orange light is not lit, but there is something connected in the rear, you are going to want to try unplug the router, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in.
Is the green LED light on?
- The green activity LED light lights up when the access point is ready for wireless use. It flashes when the access point is transmitting or receiving data wirelessly.
There are no LED lights lit:
- If the LED lights are not turning on, but the device is still clearly working, you may need to replace the LED lights. To do this, refer to our Repair Guide for replacing LED lights.
Power down devices ¶
- Unplug or shutdown each device in the following order:
- Any computers using the network
- Now plugin or turn on all the devices, starting with the computer, then the router, and finally the modem.
Router/Wireless Settings ¶
Follow these steps to change the router settings like the wireless password and channel.
- Open a web browser and type the following ip address into the address bar - 192.168.1.245
- When prompted, enter the username and password for the router. If you have not set one, then leave the username blank and “admin” for the password.
- Navigate to the tab pertaining to the settings you want to change. If the signal seems to be intermittent, try changing the channel. Make sure to update the router before exiting the web browser.
My Router Appears to Not Be Working at All ¶
Does your router turn on when you plug it in? ¶
You can verify this by checking if any of the LED lights turn on.
If you believe it is not on, but the LED lights are not, please refer to out guide on how to replace LED lights.
Has your router been exposed to water? ¶
First, try placing the router in a bag of rice for 24 hours.
If that does not solve the issue, please refer to our repair guide on repairing a router with water damage.
The Wireless Signal Strength is Very Poor ¶
Router Location ¶
Try Moving the router to another location.
- Sometimes, when the router is around metal objects, or other objects that put off some sort of signal, it interferes with the router. For example, a TV or a metal stand could interfere with the signal. Make sure that the router is at least 3 feet away from devices that could affect the signal.
- Make sure that the router is on the same floor as the computers that use them.
Router Antennas ¶
Try adjusting the direction of the antennas.
- Try a few different configurations, checking to see if the signal is better with each change.
For more in depth troubleshooting please refer to the Linksys Wireless-G Access Point User Guide