Dare to Repair: 3D-Printed Repair Parts Contest
Create. Share. Print. Repair.
The 3D printing revolution is upon us, but printing repair parts hasn’t taken off just yet. Let’s make it happen! Together, we can demonstrate the viability of 3D printing consumer parts—and it’s not that hard! Ben Gottemoller created one of the most popular guides on iFixit featuring a 3D-modeled replacement impeller for his Breville coffee grinder. All it takes is one person to create the part model, and then anyone can print it themselves or order it online.
We’re calling all tinkerers, makers, and fixers, because today, we’re excited to launch Dare to Repair—a 3D-printed repair parts contest. Participants will compete to develop, model, and create a 3D-printed spare part for a common consumer product. As part of the process, contestants will document their repair and upload a 3D model using iFixit. The 3D printing team from HP will validate your model—and then you will be entered to win one of our cash prizes.
- Best Overall: $5,000 Visa Gift Card, sponsored by HP Inc.
- Most Useful: $2,500 Visa Gift Card, sponsored by iFixit
- 15 Honorable Mentions: $500 Visa Gift Card, sponsored by HP, iFixit, Phillips, and IKEA
The competition is open to anyone. We’ve created instructions to get you started with scanning and modeling, so anyone—from novices to experts—can participate. You don’t even need to have a 3D printer!
The Dare to Repair contest is an exercise in cutting-edge innovation, but your participation will also help real people fix real problems in their real lives. Real-ly. All it takes is one person to create the 3D model, and then anyone will be able to use your 3D model to print out a replacement part and fix a broken product. It’s easy: Create, share, print, and repair. Here’s how to enter:
- Check out our Getting Started Wiki—it walks you through the complete process of creating a 3D model for an original part, as well as printing solutions for producing a substitute part.
- Create a repair guide on iFixit for your replacement part following these instructions.
- Upload your 3D model to your guide so people can order it.
We’ll be accepting submissions through Monday, May 14th, and we’ll announce the winner on our blog on Friday, June 1st. We’ll be sharing projects on our social media channels using the hashtag #DareToRepair. So feel free to tag us while you work on your project—we’d love that! :)
Broad appeal. Usefulness. Aesthetics. Stellar documentation. We want your repair imagination to run wild! Here are a few things to consider before you pick your part:
- Part Design: Does the availability of this new part increase the product’s longevity?
- Product Reach and Ubiquity: How large is the need that you’re solving?
- Story Behind the Design: What problem are you solving? What personal experience led to this solution?
- Documentation: Include usable, high-quality installation and repair instructions on iFixit.
- Bonus Points: Does the design make any improvements to the original part?
If you need some inspiration, here’s a fantastic example from one of our community members: Coffee Grinder Impeller Replacement / Upgrade
Per Stoltz, IKEA
Per Stoltz is the resource and waste manager for IKEA. He is focused on using the circular economy as a tool to make us more resource effective.
Markus Laubscher, Phillips
Markus Laubscher leads the company-wide business transformation program related to Circular Economy, where he internally facilitates the implementation of pilot projects in relevant business groups, tracks progress, and assures knowledge management and capacity building. Externally, he builds and maintains partnerships with key organizations in the field, works with media partners, and serves as a content expert for policy development.
Sam Lionheart, iFixit
As the lead teardown engineer and head of the technical writing department at iFixit, Sam has helped millions repair their devices. She and her team provide in-depth, prompt teardowns of the newest devices in order to discuss design trends and repairability. She also really likes cats.
John Ortiz, HP
John Ortiz leads the global product stewardship organization for HP Inc. Ortiz’s organization drives the environmental design of printing hardware products, ink and toner supplies, and paper products to minimize the impact of HP products throughout the product lifecycle. Ortiz is championing circular economy thinking and action across HP’s Print, PC, and 3D printing businesses.
Joe Iles, Ellen MacArthur Foundation
Entrants will upload the files to iFixit, releasing their work under the Creative Commons license.
Materials you submit to iFixit must be from one of three sources:
- Content that you own the copyright to because you produced it yourself
- Content that is in the public domain
- Content that is licensed under a compatible license
- You (herein after “participant” or “you”) must be 18 or older. Offer void in Syria, North Sudan, Iran, Cuba, North Korea, the Crimea region of the Ukraine and other countries where prohibited by law. In addition, residents of Syria, North Sudan, Iran, Cuba, North Korea, the Crimea region of the Ukraine and other countries where prohibited by law are not eligible to participate in the Offer. Parts may or may not be printed at the contest administrators’ sole discretion.
- If selected for print, 3D printed part sample of your own design or the 3D printed HP sample part will be printed with HP 3D High Reusability PA 12 material using the HP Jet Fusion 3D 4200 Printing Solution. Only available in black and without finishing/post-processing.
- Sponsor reserves the right to cancel the Offer at any time and for any reason. Restrictions/conditions may apply.
- Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for lost, unintelligible, late, misdirected, incomplete, or non-delivered Offer requests or emails; or for interrupted or unavailable satellite, network, server, Internet Service Provider or other connections, availability or accessibility of an Offer Website, or miscommunications, or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, or lines, or technical failure or jumbled, garbled, corrupted, scrambled, delayed or misdirected transmissions, or computer hardware or software or Website malfunctions, failures, or technical errors or difficulties, or other errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or network or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of a participant’s request or the failure to capture, or loss of, any such information. Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, caused by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Offer; and assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect or delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or tampering with or hacking of any Website or equipment used for this Offer. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the Website, submission process or operation of the Offer, to be acting in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to threaten, abuse or harass any other person. Sponsor is not responsible for injury or damage to participants or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in this Offer. EVERYTHING ON THE SITE AND IN CONNECTION WITH THE OFFER, INCLUDING ANY 3D PRINTED PARTS PROVIDED BY SPONSOR, IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR OTHER DAMAGES; AS A RESULT, THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND THE FOREGOING PARAGRAPHS SHALL NOT APPLY TO A RESIDENT OF NEW JERSEY TO THE EXTENT DAMAGES TO SUCH NEW JERSEY RESIDENT ARE THE RESULT OF SPONSOR OR ITS AGENCIES’ NEGLIGENT, FRAUDULENT OR RECKLESS ACT(S) OR INTENTIONAL MISCONDUCT.
- Participant grants HP Inc., or HP authorized 3d printing service bureaus, (“HP") a non-exclusive, non-royalty bearing license to print the 3D design file submitted by participant under this Offer for the purpose of this Offer. The 3D design file submitted by participant to HP (or part printed from the design file) must not infringe upon any intellectual property rights of third-parties. The 3D design file submitted by participant to HP (or part printed from the design file) must not be a design for a weapon, firearm or explosive of any kind. All design files suspected of violating intellectual property rights, or any local or country law(s) will be ineligible.
- No 3D design file submitted under this Offer will be received or held “in confidence” and under no circumstance will your 3D design file create a confidential relationship or obligation of secrecy between you and HP or between you and any other party. Without limitation of the foregoing, you understand and agree that your 3D Printed part printed from your 3D design file may be publicly disclosed by HP on the Site, or in other public communications, forums and media. Before submission, Participants should be guided by their own attorneys as to the desirability of seeking patents or other protection for the 3D design file or 3D printed part. Participant acknowledges that Sponsor may currently or in the future be developing information internally, or receiving information from other parties, that may be similar to the 3D design file submitted. Accordingly, nothing herein shall prohibit Sponsor from independently acquiring, developing, or having developed for it, products, concepts, systems, services, or techniques that are similar to or compete with the products, concepts, systems or techniques contemplated by or embodied in any 3D design file. You recognize that other persons or entities may have provided HP or others, or made public, or may in the future submit, or make public, materials that are the same or similar to your 3D design file. You acknowledge and agree that HP shall have the right to use such same or similar materials, and that you will not be entitled to any compensation arising from HP’s use of such materials.
- Participant shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless HP from all third-party claims, losses, liabilities, costs, damages, judgments, awards, expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, expert witness fees, and bonds) arising out of any third-party intellectual property claims relating to HP’s printing of the design file submitted by Participant. Participant assumes all risk relating to or arising from the 3D printed parts printed by HP. HP shall have no responsibility for any loss or damage caused by the 3D printed parts. Participant shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless HP from all third-party claims, losses, liabilities, costs, damages, judgments, awards, expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, expert witness fees, and bonds) arising out of, Participant’s use, operation, distribution, sale, marketing or possession of the 3D printed parts. HP shall provide prompt notification of the claim and cooperation with the defense. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein or otherwise communicated to participant. Participant is solely responsible for the evaluation of and determination of the suitability and compliance with applicable regulations of the Products and/or 3D printed parts for any use, especially for uses (including but not limited to medical, dental, food contact, automotive, aerospace, heavy industry, and consumer products) that are regulated by US, EU and other applicable governments.
- Participant agrees to be responsible for complying with all laws and regulations including, without limitation, laws and regulations applicable to import and export, such as the trade control laws of the United States and other national governments. Participant who exports, re-exports, or imports or otherwise transfers Products, technology, or technical data assumes responsibility for complying with applicable laws and regulations and for obtaining required export and import authorizations. HP may suspend performance under this agreement i) if the Participant is in violation of applicable laws or regulations and ii) to the extent necessary to assure compliance under the U.S. or other applicable export or similar regulations. Co-Sponsor: HP