I teach first grade. I had an ipod and ipad with broken headphone ports stuck into the headphone socket. I had sent this equipment to our Technology repair department. They said they couldn't be fixed and the repair would be more costly than the equipment was worth. I searched online and found this site and the gripstick for $25.00. It was worth a try rather than losing about $400 in classroom equipment. I needed those machines to have sound for my students.
I received my gripstick very quickly. I tried to repair the machines while sitting in a meeting without needle nose pliers. I wasn't successful. When I got home I used the needle nose pliers to lightly hammer the gripstick into the port, then use the needle nose pliers to pull the broken pieces out. My machines were not a super easy fix. The pieces came out in two pieces so it took multiple tries to get all the pieces out. I bent my gripstick a little, but it still worked for the second repair. I was so thrilled my machines have sound for my students again. I now keep the gripstick hidden in my desk so I'm prepared for any headphone emergency. Thank you so much for this amazing tool and customer service.
If possible try to get the gripstick before you try another method. I had tried using a thumbtack ect... to remove the broken piece. I only shoved it farther in and made the repair more difficult with the proper tool. I had also viewed a youtube video that showed using a coffee stirrer straw to remove broken ports. It didn't work for my repair. This tool is fabulous.