The phone came across my desk and the screen was bulging and busting at the seams (and obviously cracked the screen) so I carefully investigated why. It turns out that the battery was incredibly swollen and distorted and it had an awful lithium smell. So I carefully disconnected the battery and I grabbed some safety glasses and rubber gloves because it looked like that battery was ready to blow-and eventually when trying to remove it it did-but once I replaced the battery and and he screen the phone passed every inspection I could throw at it.
After I got the battery out, it was smooth sailing and I got the phone back to a happy customer.
Always always always whenever you approach a swelling battery wear protection. Battery acid is nasty and it burns. Oh and don't try to use a spudger to pry it out-that's how my battery popped. Luckily, I only punctured the outer layer of the battery and not the inner layer.