Click Image To Zoom
California Prop 65
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Learn more >
|MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo Models A1226 and A1260||
The right speaker had blown on my computer suddenly and was buzzing quite badly.
I am well experienced with repairing MAC computers and had all the necessary tools so the repair went as expected. It took the better part of an hour to complete the repair and get the machine back together. Only one screw was a bit difficult to remove but the repair went very well otherwise.
Best advice - Print off the directions and tape the screws to the papers exactly as you remove them. This makes for a no confusion repair and an easy way to put them back in exactly the same hole they came out of. Certainly invest in a spudger if you don't have one. Make yourself a good work area. Plenty of light and a safe and static free place to place the components when they are removed. Use a tweezers to take out the tiny screws. You don't want them to get lost under a board or to cross a connection or blow a circuit.
I probably ought to have had a bit of extra orange tape for this repair as the tape did not want to lay back down after years of holding tight. Instructions on applying the thermal paste would have been nice attached as an optional step to the repair. I simply didn't think of looking it up prior to the repair.
My life became mono - the left speaker of my Macbook Pro Laptop stopped working. I'd successfully replaced the Hard Drive myself previously using ifixit instructions and thought how hard could it be?
It took about an hour to take the laptop apart. My heart sank when I looked at all the pieces I'd taken out and realised I was only halfway through. I also had a mild panic - what if it doesn't work when I put it back together?
The process was very long and involved (1 step was to "remove the following 15 screws") and I accidentally broke the PRAM battery connector off the logic board - it wasn't made clear in the instructions how to lever the connections apart and it was the first one I tried. Anyhow, a bit of superglue and the connector is back on. I was very relieved when I turned it on at the end and everything worked. I'm back in stereo again.
I didn't come across the link to the Applying Thermal Paste section until I got to that step. Lucky I had my Dad's computer available to look it up, as i would have been screwed if I only had my print-out of the steps.
Be very careful when levering the connections apart.
Make sure you have some Kaplon anti-static tape as once you've detached it, it doesn't stick back down very well. I recommend this should be included in the required products - except that ifixit doesn't seem to sell it. I found it on eBay.
Make sure you read all the way through the instructions before you begin. If you're not going to have access to a computer while you're fixing it make sure there aren't links to other pages that you're going to need.