These are some common tools used to work on this device. You might not need every tool for every procedure.
Help diagnose common problems with the Toshiba Satellite A85-S107 15" Troubleshooting guide.
Identification and Background ¶
The Toshiba Satellite A85-S107 was released in June 2005. Weighing 6.5 pounds with a 15” screen, it measures 13.3” x 11” and comes with Windows XP pre-installed. With a 1.4 GHz processor, 256 MB of RAM and a battery life of 1.5 hours, this laptop is ideal for beginner PC users.
To identify this laptop, you can look for the model number sticker A85-S107 which is visible on the underside of this laptop.
The laptop is fairly easy to disassemble, with most hardware being removable from the underside. Upgrading components such as your RAM or hard drive is fairly easy to do, but the OEM Keyboard is made for the A85 S107 model and should be purchased from Toshiba.
Available Upgrades ¶
- RAM: The Toshiba Satellite A85-S107 has one RAM slot that is available to upgrade.
- Hard Drive: The hard drive can be replaced with an IDE port compatible hard drive.
- Optical Drive: The optical drive can be upgraded to something with more features than the original drive.
Technical Specs ¶
- Removable 4-cell (2000 mAH) Lithium-ion battery. Battery life up to 1.5 hours
- Weight: Starting at 0.6 lbs
- Recharge Time: Main battery Off/On - up to 4 hours/ up to 12 hours
- Intel Celeron® M Processor 360J (1.40 GHz, 1MB shared L2 cache, 400 MHz FSB).
- Height: 1.46 inches (3.71 cm)
- Width: 11 inches (27.94 cm)
- Length: 13.3 inches (33.78 cm)
- TruBrite™ TFT 15 inch LCD display (active-matrix) with a native resolution (XGA) of 1024-by-768
- Brightness Control
- 1 main memory slot for additional memory
- 1 PC Card slot support 1 Type II, PCMCIA R2.01, PC Card 16, CardBus
Graphics and Video ¶
- ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP with 64 MB of DDR shared graphics; can adjust to 128 MB
Hard Drive ¶
- 40 GB (5400 RPM) Enhanced IDE (ATA-6) hard disk drive; 9.5mm height; user removable
- Hard Drive
- CD-DVD ROM Access
- Caps Lock
- Arrow Lock
- Numeric Lock
- Main Battery Charging Status
- Sleep Suspend Mode
- 256 MB of SDRAM DDR memory
Operating System ¶
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
Optical Drive ¶
- Fixed Bay DVD-ROM/CD-RW, 5,25” EIDE, 12.7 mm height
- (3) USB 2.0 port
- (1) DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive
- (1) Ethernet Port
- (1) Modem Jack Port
- (1) VGA Out
- (1) S-Video out
- (1) Type I/II PC Card Slot
- (1) 3.5mm Audio Jack
- (1) External Microphone Port
- Weight: Starting at 6.5 lbs (2.96 kg) depending upon configuration
Wireless Connectivity ¶
- Wireless connectivity for Wireless-B and Wireless-G (Atheros® 802.11)
Additional Information ¶
For more information about your Toshiba, please visit the following links: