Screen is black after water spill
Am I calibrating my new laptop battery correctly?
Why is my lenovo Yoga 730 15IWL only working when plugged in?
These are some common tools used to work on this device. You might not need every tool for every procedure.
Background and Identification
The Yoga 730-15IWL is a laptop released by Lenovo in late 2018. It uses an 8th-generation Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processor inside paired with a dedicated Nvidia GTX 1050 graphics card for better performance in demanding tasks and games. You can identify this laptop by looking on the bottom for a section where the Lenovo logo and the model number “Yoga 730-15IWL” have been etched into the metal.
Lenovo released this laptop as a small upgrade compared to its predecessor, the Yoga 730-15IKB, The previous model uses processors codenamed “Intel Kaby Lake” (thus the name 730-IKB) while this updated version uses slightly newer processors codenamed “Intel Whiskey Lake” (thus the name 730-IWL). Comparing the specifications of the two laptops shows the only difference between the machines: the processor in the 730-IWL has higher boost clock speeds. Otherwise, they have the same number of processor cores and are virtually identical inside. Woohoo!
Another useful source of repair information is the hardware maintenance manual. This manual has instructions for replacing most components inside the laptop, including the removable battery, wireless card, touchpad, fingerprint reader, and SSD. The laptop has 8 GB of memory soldered to the motherboard, but you can add up to another 8 GB through a single memory slot.
- Intel Core i5-8265U at 1.6 GHz (3.9 GHz boost)
- Intel Core i7-8565U at 1.8 GHz (4.6 GHz boost)
- Both models have 4 cores, 8 threads
- Up to 16 GB total
- 8 GB soldered to the motherboard
- One SO-DIMM slot for up to 8 GB extra
- Uses DDR4 memory at 2400 MHz
- Removable internal SSD
- M.2 form factor
- PCIe 3.0 x4 interface
- Intel UHD Graphics 620
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
- 15.6 inches (39.6 cm) on the diagonal
- 1920x1080 pixels IPS panel
- or 3840x2160 pixels IPS panel
- 300 nits of brightness
- 10-point multitouch touchscreen
- USB-C 3.0 port (with Thunderbolt 3)
- Two USB-A 3.0 ports
- HDMI port
- 3.5 mm headphone/microphone combo jack
- 2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth 4.1
- Removable wireless card
- 51.5 Wh lithium-ion battery (11.4 V)
- Charges with a 65 W or 90 W AC adapter
- 720p webcam (1.0 MegaPixel)
- Stereo speakers
- Fingerprint reader
Lenovo Yoga 730 15” official product page
Lenovo Yoga 730-15IWL official support page
Lenovo Yoga 730-15IWL hardware maintenance manual (disassembly instructions)