Framework Laptop Teardown
Looking for Lithium Ion Battery Removal/Replacement Safety Tips
I need little metric screws
These are some common tools used to work on this device. You might not need every tool for every procedure.
Read: Can Framework’s Repairable Laptop Succeed? It Already Has.
Background and Identification
Released in July of 2021, Framework’s debut to the laptop space takes shape as a 13.5” notebook with a direct focus on upgradability—and by proxy, repairability.
The 13" Framework Laptop comes in two flavors: a buildable DIY Edition or a fully-assembled unit. The DIY Edition starts at $819 with the option to bring your own OS, SSD, Wi-Fi card, and/or RAM. If you want to spring for one fully assembled, pricing starts at $1,049.
Framework also supports running their motherboards outside of the chassis without a connected battery. In addition, Framework supplies official CAD plans for their motherboards on their official Github so that users can make their own cases to turn their laptops into small form factor desktop PCs.
We tore down the Framework Laptop in July 2021.
On March 23, 2023, Framework announced they would release updated components for their 13" laptops. This includes an updated main board, allowing users to choose between an Intel processor or an AMD processor at checkout. Framework will also be selling a new 61 Wh batter and a matte display that users can use to upgrade their laptops.
- Diagonal Size: 13.5"
- Brightness: 400 nit
- Resolution: 2256 x 1504 pixels
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2 , 201 ppi
- Color Gamut: 100% sRGB
- 4.2 GHz Intel Core i5-1135G7 quad-core, configurable up to a 4.8 GHz Intel Core i7-1185G7 quad-core
- 4.4 GHz Intel Core i5-1240P 4 + 8 cores, configurable up to a 4.8 GHz Intel Core i7 1280P 6 + 8 cores
- 4.6 GHz Intel Core i5-1340P 4 + 8 cores, configurable up to 5.2 GHz Intel Core i7-1370P 6 + 8 cores
- AMD Ryzen 7040 Series 5 or AMD Ryzen 7040 Series 7
- Internal Graphics: Intel integrated Xe graphics
- eGPU Support: Yes (AMD or NVIDIA Supported)
- Type: NVMe SSD
- Size: 256 GB, configurable to 512 GB or 1 TB
- Type: DDR4-3200
- Size: 8 GB (1x8 GB), configurable to 32 GB (2x16 GB)
- Slots: 2
- Wi-Fi: 6/6E, configurable with vPro
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.2
- Type: Lithium-Polymer
- Watt Hours: 55-watt-hour or 61 watt-hour
- Ports: 4 × USB-C for User-selectable expansion cards
- Thunderbolt Support: Thunderbolt 4 (Intel 12th Gen, Intel 13th Gen, and AMD Ryzen)
- Headphone Jack: 1× 3.5 mm combo headphone jack
- Height: 0.62 in (15.85 mm)
- Width: 11.68 in (296.63 mm)
- Depth: 9.01 in (228.98 mm)
- Weight: 2.87 lbs (1.3 kg)
- 1080p 60 fps front-facing camera
- Fingerprint reader
- Backlit keyboard
- Included 60 W USB-C power adapter
- Officially Supports Thunderbolt (as of Nov 7, 2022)