These are some common tools used to work on this device. You might not need every tool for every procedure.
Background and Identification
Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell that focuses on gaming computers. The Alienware brand was founded in 1996 as an independent company. The name allegedly comes from the Alienware founders’ fondness for the X-Files TV show and other science fiction stories. The brand was bought by Dell in 2006. At the time, Dell had its own series of gaming computers known as the XPS series. However, this line was eventually scaled back, and Alienware became the main Dell gaming computer brand.
The Alienware M17x was the first computer than Alienware released after being bought by Dell. The M17x R4 is the fourth version of this computer. It was released in 2012, and has since been discontinued. It updated the operating system to Windows 8 and made several other small changes.
The model number on a Dell laptop can be in several different places. Use this Dell support page to find your model number. You can enter this number or the name of the computer into the Dell support website to find troubleshooting help from the manufacturer.
- Height (front and back): 44.5 mm (1.75 inches)
- Width: 410.0 mm (16.14 inches)
- Depth: 304.3 mm (11.98 inches)
- Weight: 4.26 kg (9.39 lb)
- Processor: Intel Core i7 (2nd and 3rd generation)
- Chipset: Mobile Intel HM77 Express Chipset
- Resolution: 1920 x 1080
- Memory: up to 1600 MHz, unbuffered non-ECC, single-channel and dual-channel DDR3 configuration
- Memory Configurations: 4 GB, 6 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, 16 GB, 24 GB, and 32 GB
- Battery: 9-cell “smart” lithium ion (90 Whr)