These are some common tools used to work on this device. You might not need every tool for every procedure.
Background and Identification
Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell that focuses on gaming computers. The Alienware brand was founded in 1996 as an independent company. The name allegedly comes from the Alienware founders’ fondness for the X-Files TV show and other science fiction stories. The brand was bought by Dell in 2006. At the time, Dell had its own series of gaming computers known as the XPS series. However, this line was eventually scaled back, and Alienware became the main Dell gaming computer brand. The Alienware 15 (sometimes called the Alienware 15 R1) is the first laptop in the Alienware 15 series. It was followed by the R2, R3, and R4 versions. The Alienware 15 R1 has since been discontinued.
The model number on a Dell laptop can be in several different places. Use this Dell support page to find your model number. You can enter this number or the name of the computer into the Dell support website to find troubleshooting help from the manufacturer.
- Height: 34 mm (1.33 in)
- Width: 386 mm (15.19 in)
- Depth: 270 mm (10.62 in)
- Weight: 3.22 - 3.39 kg (7.10 - 7.48 lb) (depends on configuration)
- Processor: 4th Generation Intel Core i5/i7
- Memory Type: DDR3L, 1600 MHz speed
- Memory Configurations: 8 GB, 12 GB, and 16 GB
- Display Size: 15.6 in
- Resolution:1920 x 1080 (non-touchscreen), 3840 x 2160 (touchscreen)
- Integrated Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600
- Discrete Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M/970M/980M, AMD Radeon R9 M295X
- Hard Drive: One 2.5-inch drive
- Solid State Drive (SSD): Two M.2 drives
- Battery Type: 8 cell Lithium-ion 92 WHr