How do you replace a single key?


I'm in the unfortunate position where not only has one of my keys popped off, but one of the little metal teeth has broken too.

Is there a way for this to be fixed?

note: I might be off on the model number, but I'm going off what it says on the back of the keyboard

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment

2 Answers

Chosen Solution

If the "metal tooth" is on your keyboard and not part of the key, then it might be hard to fix a new key on here. Which would mean to replace the whole keyboard.

I haven't had the opportunity to take apart a newer keyboard yet so I'm not familiar with how they look inside, but I just got a new key for an old powerbook g4 from Perhaps you can find your key for your keyboard there and if possible you could replace it or the keyboard. I haven't checked here at ifixit either, so please do.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

You might be able to bend the metal back but if not then you'll have to buy a new keyboard. You can sell the old one on ebay for about $15 even though it's missing that key.

If you are able to bend the metal back, you can buy a replacement key on eBay for example:

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

Will will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 1

Past 30 Days: 11

All Time: 1,777