Repair guides and support for the laptop line of Acer's Aspire series for casual home and business use.

Hard wire laptop to external display

So I have a laptop with a broken screen. I decided to just remove the whole display and use it essentially as a desktop with an external monitor. My problem is that I would like to have 2 external displays but the laptop only has one VGA port. I was wondering if it's possible to somehow hard wire in one display and use the other with the VGA port. I know there are usb to vga converters but would rather not spend the $ and leave the usb port free. Any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks for the help

jeff, I suppose if you would have the schematic, or an oscilloscope, you could try and use the original display connection by soldering a connector to it. All that can turn pretty complicated, since the schematics are not that easy to find, you will furthermore have to make solder connections on the motherboard, and you will need a connector. You also need an LCD display, since you are using inverter and backlight circuits. I would suggest you just repair the original display, it will be cheaper and has a lot less chance of failure. Of course, those are only my 2 cents.

I was afraid of something like that. Well thanks for the information!

jeff will be eternally grateful.