Comprehensive repair manuals on all portable tablet computers by Apple. Repairs are likely to require heat and careful prying.

How to fix iTunes error 9

I have an iPad that's stuck on the Apple logo. I tried restoring it in DFU, recovery mode, and cooked-up custom firmware, all with the same result. The screen just keeps turning on and off on the Apple logo, and can't seem to get past it. The phone just keeps throwing error 9. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. The only other thing left to do is to change the ic. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Error 9 is described here as the device losing its connection. Have you tried using a different connector?

tried 2 different usb cables 2 different computers even changed the usb dock connector at first it gave error 1611 tried restore again started coming up with error 9 again. could it be a faulty dock connector flex?

I can definately say its not the dock connector flex tried 2 brand new 1's still error 9. Am guessing it might be the ic's even tried a brand new battery still same. anyone have any ideas will be appreciated thank you

I just went through this with my iPad. Tried a dozen times on 3 different machines but the error(9) persisted. Took it to an Apple store. They had the same result. Said it was a hardware issue. They said the the update 'revealed a hardware issue'. BULLSHIT. THE IPAD WORKED FINE BEFORE RUNNING THE UPDATE.

Do not click ok or more information when u get the error, just wait for few minutes

The ipad wil continue to restore by itself.

Mine got restored, try it.

The iPad in my experience is very picky about what cables it will restore with. Error 9 is almost always related to the cable, NOT the dock connector/flex cable. Use the official Apple cable if you still have it, or borrow one from a friend.

If that doesn't work, it might also have something to do with the IPSW you are trying to restore with. Try using a different IPSW or using Redsn0w to boot Pwned DFU mode and restore it like that. Error 9 can be related to the RAM disk kernel rejecting the ASR because it is not signed properly, thus breaking the connection with the device and causing error 9.

I have used 3 different official cables still keeps throwing !@#$ error 9 gonna try changing port on logic board itself. thanks for the help anyway

This is insane. My mother has a IPad 2 and this same thing happened when I connected to my MacBook Pro to put a book on CD onto her IPad for listening. Same thing Error 9 over and over. Spent 2 hours at Apple today for them to tell me how it's a hardware issue and when I say the IPad worked just brilliantly before the update they tried telling me that updates sometimes expose hardware issues that were always there...so they tried to talk my mom into purchasing a brand new (new version) IPad telling her that if she buys the cheaper refurbished of the IPad 2 it will only work for another year before another update crashes it. How can they get away with this?????? FRUSTRATED. FYI, my mother is elderly and knows limited English, so this was the only form of technology she was getting comfortable with...

My iPhone6 , when i update version 8.3 to 9.2.1 ti error 9 too.

see solution from Barry below. Works perfectly. Should be labeled as the "chosen solution".

Mine was due to using 3rd Party cable. I use the lighting cable that comes with my iphone6 at it work like charm. Thanks for the tips

Most Helpful Answer

I have an IPad 2 WiFi that worked perfectly until I tried to update from iOS 6 to iOS 9. Took the iPad to Apple Store in Reno and they were unable to update it also. They got same error code 9 as I, and I was told the update exposed hardware issues. They said maybe the unit had been exposed to moisture. They were unwilling to accept any responsibility for the issue but willing to sell me another refurbished 4 year old unit for $450.

2nd post on same subject. I have now spent several weeks researching the error code 9 issue resulting from trying to update a device at iOS 4.3 level to iOS 9 level. Here is the results of my research.

There are hundreds of incidents reported on the Internet with this same problem. The root cause is Apple Computer has come up with a way to cause early obsolescence of perfectly functional products. They have taken advantage of their customers who have not updated the iOS in their products in a timely manner. It is not possible to perform a direct update from iOS 4 to iOS 9. A device must be progressively updated through iOS levels of 5, 6, 7, and 8 before updating to 9. The error code 9 problem started in October 2015 when Apple removed their signatures from all down level firmware. The signature is required to verify and validate a proper update. This action on Apples part effectively burnt the bridge for updating units at or below iOS 7. The firmware still exists, but is now unsigned rendering it unusable. Any device that has a down level iOS that requires progressive updating, though the hardware works perfectly is now rendered useless. Pretty clever on Apples part.

All Apple support centers must be aware of this issue and have apparently been scripted to respond in the same manner. I have read several Internet forums where customers were told the same lies, such as the update manifested a hardware issue due to faulty hardware. I personally experienced this same tale of lies when I visited the Apple Store in Reno.

Attempting to update an Apple device from iOS 4, 5, 6, to iOS 9 results in leaving the device in an incomplete restore condition. The indication of this is error code 9 and a picture on the screen of a USB connector showing a cable plugged into iTunes. The update does not change any data on the Apple device but the incomplete restore does not allow the device to operate.

The solution to restoring proper operation is to down load a freeware program "Reiboot.exe" and running it. This program has the ability of accessing the Apple device and performing a proper restore. This fixes the Apple improper restore and returns the device to full operation. It does not allow updating to higher iOS levels, only Apple would have that capability. Unfortunately the Apple device is stuck at what ever iOS down level it is at. The device will work but eventually the apps will no longer work as they are continually updated as Apple updates its iOS.

I have several iPads that are iPad 2 wifi's. Those that I updated as iOS levels changed work at iOS 9.2 today. Those that my grand kids have, which I did not have access to until November 2015 are at iOS 4.3.5. They are the same exact model but cannot be updated as a result of Apple unsigning their down level iOS levels.

This should be considered a criminal and shameful act on Apples part. I plan to present this issue to 7 on your side, an investigative tv news program in the San Francisco Bay Area if Apple does not step up and reinstate their upgrade path. This could also be the basis of a major class action suit against Apple, particularly in light of their scripted lies they are telling their customers regarding the error code 9 issue.

Barry

CEO of Silicon Valley company

Update (2-27-2016)

Update…Update….Update….Update…Error code 9 when updating iPad or IPhone from IOS 4.3.5 to IOS 9 is now fixed. Here is the solution to now update down level apple products to the latest version IOS. This “tool” will allow you to update your iPad currently running IOS version 4.3.5 directly to IOS 9.2 or 9.3. This tool bypasses the bridge Apple blew out when they un-signed their down level operating systems in October 2015. By un-signing their down level operating systems, they effectively obsoleted any non-updated products by making it no longer possible to update.

Thanks to 3deviser who pointed me to a Chinese website at www.i4.com. 3deviser wrote enough information for me to find the website and the tool. I used google translator at the web site to see some English. Here is what you do:

Go to http://www.i4.cn/ The webpage will come up in Chinese. Look for V6.11 on the home screen. Click on it to download .exe to your system. Down load http://www.i4.cn/ iPad2 A1396 iPad2,2 9.3beta2 1.45GB iPad2,2_9.3_13E519d_Restore.ipsw

Install and Start the program tool V6.11. Plug your IPad into USB port of your computer. Start ITunes if it didn’t start automatically. When you do the ITunes update, it will fail. In a few moments, the V6.11 program will connect to the IPad and automatically load the IOS 9.2 or 9.3beta update. I have done this to two different IPads and worked fine. One was at 4.3.5 and the other at 5.1.

Hope this update is the answer to your prayers regarding bringing your IPad back to life and to current level IOS.

Regards, Barry

There is obviously a problem here as documented by the large number of users who have experienced the same problem. A class action lawsuit might bring relief to these unfortunate users and take the Apple arrogance down a notch. An appropriate settlement might be $1000 to $5000 per user.

County me in...

You are 100% correct! Its not a hardware issue and legally if Apple knows the IOS cant be upgraded should be explained as much. This is criminal to tell customers its a hardware issue knowing you cant upgrade from IOS 4 tethered. This I see as the criminal part of misleading instead of saying we cut off the firmware signature authentication and you cant upgrade. People truly belief its a faulty unit not to consider putting the unit in a recovery loop rendering the unit a brick unless you get out of recovery.

That also is an issue if they support 9.2 for Ipad2's regardless of version you have. We still should have the right to upgrade. I have 4 ipads and 2 are IOS 4.3.3. the other 9.2. My small kids were using so I never upgraded, yes that's on me but to just cut us off and now the apps don't work as they keep upgrading is a shame.

I believe Apple should fix or compensate period. Very nice detailed message Barry!

I live in Greece, but !&&*, I have the same problem and I feel so frustrated about the "hardware problem" lies. If anything is about to go down, I'll do whatever I can from here!

Thank you very much Barry for this excellent analysis, I had read quite a few articles concerning this issue but yours really sums up the problem in a very complete way. I read that it would be worth a try to upgrade from 4.3 to beta 9.3 and if necessary then downgrade to 9.2 afterwards. Anyone tried this ?

1.http://www.i4.cn/ download V6.11

2.OPEN i4

3.download 9.3beta2

4.steup

It works! Thank you so much

I had been working to solve it for 4 hours until i see your comment!

For anyone who downgrade to ios 4.3.5 and stuck at ios 4.3.5 because of itunes error 9 for ios 9.2/9.2.1, please proceed to http://pc.i4.cn/firmware.html to download ios 9.3 beta and restore it in DFU mode.

for e.g. iPad 2 WiFi version ios 9.3 beta 2 download link: http://appldnld.apple.com/ios9.3seed/031...

Worked like charm,

thank you dear

Excellent, thank you for the advice!! IOS updated from 4.3.5 to 9.3 beta successfully. So it was a sw problem after all, no matter Apple care said it is hw..

Worked perfectly in DFU mode. Thank you so much.

Good morning to all of you, I'm Italian but because 'I've also had the same problem, I read with great interest your foum and I would kindly ask if the procedure indicated that one of you may also be valid for Ipad 3, Pending of your kind reply I will greet. Gabriella

I think that it might be a problem with the port on the ipad itself.

thank you i will give that a go now

Any luck?? Having the same issue on an iPhone.

No mate no luck I just gave up tried everything I could think of its a no go so just gave up

You may be right about that!! Because I had, in my Ipad 2, a logic board with ios 4.3.5 or something and got stuck with it, then I bought a new logic board with ios 8.4.1 and now I am not able to update that either.. It crashes and cannot get out of recovery mode even with Reiboot. So it must be something else in the device than the logic board..?!

Update to 9.3 really worked....thanks for the help

Hello All,

The issue isn't your anti virus or cable. You cant go from IOS4 to 9. I was on with a Sr. tech and they walked me through everything. I asked point blank whether it can be done, she said she didn't know. I read another post off another blog who indicated that Apple only will support a IOS5 and higher upgrade now. Something with the software and apple wont acknowledge it. Once the system tries to reach apple servers it shuts off and gets hung up. If we had IOS 5 put back up to download it would work and we could use OTA.

Reiboot works great. Sometimes after you hit exit recovery it doesn't work, just hit enter recovery mode and it freezes but gets the IPAD working.

Until Apple, which I highly doubt will agree to support this we are stuck with a web browser or movie ipad.

My whole issue is that regardless of version you have, as long as apple supports an upgrade of that Ipad 2 we should be allowed to get it. Even those on IOS 4.

check out the post by Barry

if you guys have a mac that says error 9 all you have to do is unplug your usb from your iPad or IPhone then restart your mac

Doesn't work tried and tested depending where the fault is the dock the usb cable or the actual connection on ipad itself where dock goes

my iPad 3 just did the same thing yesterday (Apple Logo forever and no boot) and i brought it to the repair center and they told me that it is probably the microprocessor or flash (something) and go get a replacement which costs about 450.00 US$. I would assume that Error 9 is a logic system failure not a connection issue

I also had tried every conceivable connection possibility and that for sure is not the problem.

I definitely have the same problem with my ipad 3 GSM.. Tried all possible IPSW to restore or update but unsuccessfull.. So frustrating.. Error 9 n 52 sucks..*#%%#!!

Guys, I just posted an update that fixes your issues. Fret no more. For the IPad3, you will need to change your model number from the model as shown in the example to download the correct .ipsw file.

This is likely the result of a bad/dead nand partition or nand chip. Its a hardware error that is not easy or repairable without very good knowledge of the actual chip and microsoldering skills... Nothing to do with usb connectivity or antivirus.

Its not a board issue, Apple cut off the upgrades (authentication) for lower IOS units specifically IOS4. They are saying hardware and they are lying.

Hi Guys,

I'm having the same problem and also thought my iPad was dead.

Luckily the exit recovery mode works like a charm!

Besides Reiboot also Recboot does the trick. (both Windows and Mac)

The app is free and just has two buttons, "Enter Recovery" and "Exit Recovery". Its

It does not fix the upgrade to IOS 9.X.X but you can use your iPad again on IOS 4.X.X.

Rgds Mark

thats not true, when i exit recovery my Ipad boot loops

check out the post by Barry

Method 1: Hard Resetting Your iOS Device to Fix iTunes Error 9

Method 2: Fixing iPhone Error 9 by Updating Your iTunes

Method 3: Using a Different Computer

Method 4: Checking Your USB Cable and Ports

Method 5: Getting into Recovery Mode to Fix iTunes Error 9

Method 6: Checking Your Security Software and Firewall

Method 7: Using FoneDog - iOS System Recovery

---------- Quote from Google search : How to Completely Fix the iTunes Error 9 (iPhone Error 9)

Thanks for sharing. It help me a lot! It works!!

It was a logic board problem on my iPad 2. I couldn't update IOS, but run into eternal "connect iTunes" -> dfu restore -> error 9 loop. Had nothing to do with cables, security software etc. But the logic board had gone bad. After I changed the logic board it works like a charm.

Well obviously it would work like a charm if you changed the logic board. You basically bought a new iPad!

Finally I fixed the error 9 on my iPhone 5 that was stuck in recovery mode by following this guide: How to Fix iTunes Error 9

Try holding down the volume up button when you power it up for 2 minutes.

I experienced the samme error (9) - and the only thing I had to do, was to use another USB port on my MacBook.. Exact same USB cable (original from Apple), but used the port on the right hand side instead of the left - and it solved my problem.

Hello to all!

I have or better I had the same problem as all of you, how to update from iOS 4.3.3 (or in in any case 4.3.x) to 9.x

I tried with the normal way and bricked the iPad. I unblocked it with reboot quite a few times as I tried different things.

Luckily I found a discussion where some people found a way to do it (link see below).

Basically you need to have the right ispw file to update manually from, using the DFU mode.

I have an iPad 2 GSM, formerly 4.3.3, and this file worked =>

iPad2,2_9.3_13E5191d_Restore

I tried different files that did not work, until I found the right one! Hurray! :)

Here you find all the links I found useful to do this:

Most important:

a link to a discussion where others were successful:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/727...

How to update manually:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/19/update-io...

how to get in the DFU mode

http://www.imore.com/how-to-iphone-ipad-...

a link where to get the ispw file

http://www.techglobex.net/2016/01/downlo...

if it doesn’t work and you brick your iPad, with reboot you can unbrick it:

http://www.cydiaos.com/download-recboot/

I posted a couple replies on here because I keep running into some problems. The Reiboot worked fine without a hitch. I wanted to see if I could update from the old firmware. As of today it is v6.15 and it works fine. The first time I ran it I forgot to download the beta firmware. I did it at the end of the process and it still worked fine. End the final steps was prompted to restore the ipad2 and I chose not to. Welllllll. I then had problems getting the Ipad to sync up. I tried every trick in the book and ended up creating more problems. So I started the whole process again. Of course V6.15 was already on my computer. I just downloaded the beta firmware at the start. Everything ran as they described and when it prompted me to restore my pad I selected yes (keep in mind I tried to restore after the first try and that did not solve the sync issue. When it was finished. I selected my ipad in iTunes and everything synced up. I love it. Too all of you who did the research and figured out this fixes we all owe you and apple owes you. You guys are the best.

Fixed!!! Upgraded iPad2 from iOS 4.33 to 9! Enjoyed Barry's posts and spent a couple hours on the Chinese fix, but didn't push the right buttons -- it's in Chinese!

This iPad had the error 9's and was stuck in Connect to iTunes screen, but used Walter Stanz post re: using iTunes itself to restore to a different IPSW file that you've downloaded manually specifically for your model. Didn't need anything off this iPad, so used the Shift-Restore combo on Windows to select my IPSW. I'm not sure how the beta IPSW files get around the unsigned firmware issue Barry mentions -- maybe the beta IPSW are signed. Anyway it worked.

Did not have to unbrick using reiboot or recboot or reboot or any of those. Did not have to start in DFU mode. Fix was relatively quick and painless once I got it sussed. I rarely post anything, but after spending several hours on this one, I thought it might help someone to say that it can be done!!!

I had an Iphone 6 that was stuck on the connect to itunes after a tried to upgrade to 9.3.. I found the reason is because the fingerprint scanner was bad.. anyway the chinese site i4.cn worked like a charm. Yes not easy to use...i have google translate on my phone and took pics and translated what each click meant. finally figured it out and downloaded the 9.3 and updated..

the others like tenor/ reiboot / fonepaw want money and dont seem to be free at all.

All of the downloads are saying they are windows programs for me and I cannot use as I am on a mac

Got iPhone 6 i4.cn app would stop at 15% some data error. Error 9 on iTunes. Tried restore without screen, without back cam as well. Dfu mode also nothing works. Any advice?

Here's a fix for itunes error 9 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0rYWdT_...

All else has failed and you're feeling screwed, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chZSdY5H...

TLDR: Treat the phone just like a PC:

1. Open iPhone

2. Disconnect everything

- A. Unscrew square-ish metal piece at the top right to get at the connections to the screen, back camera and volume buttons

- B. Unscrew the long rectangle-ish metal piece next to the bottom right corner of the battery to get to the battery connection and lightning connector

3. Connect the battery and screen and see if it works

4. Connect the lightning connector to plug into iTunes

5. Plug in other connectors one at a time to see if they are causing the issue.

i just fixed someone iPad and all i had to do was follow the directions on the apple site. plug it in and restore..... the only difference is the last step:!!!** it worked after 3 attempted restores in a row. (when the apple help forum says "if it doesn't work, repeat steps 2 and 3 they mean it) so don't give up. you'll notice, each time it incrementally gets faster and will eventually finish the factory restore. I found this out from a response on this thread or another site, they said "just wait for it to complete". it worked for me, and now I have factory restored iPad that was previously disabled/error 9/frozen at restore. i did not have to download any third party software or buy anything. try this first, it'll save you time, money, and grief.

Kam will be eternally grateful.