Final generation of the Pontiac Grand Am.

Why is it when driving the RPM gauge drops or jumps up?

When I'm accelerating and get to required speed my RPM gauge either drops and steadies or jumps up then steadies back. Also if i push her too much to go faster too quickly it starts acting like the transmission is slipping. I've figured out that if i stop (in a safe place, of course) and cut the engine and wait a few minutes and restart the engine the transmission is fine again. I was told i needed new intake gaskets, i did that and it's still happening? could it be a sensor?

Is it just your tachometer or can you feel the vehicle surging? Any errors codes or is your check engine light on?

I agree with oldturkey - the first step is to check the computer memory for trouble codes. From your description, you might have a crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor that is starting to fail.

BILL

My service engine soon light is on and the code it's throwing is multiple misfire, but that is a whole different issue. I know what that is from. It wasn't throwing any codes when this started happening but i was told i needed my intake gaskets replaced. But after having that done it didn't fix the problem. It is just the tachometer jumping unless i come to a stop then the car sometime, not always tries to lunge forward.

Okay, thank you Bill for your insight. I will have my mechanic check the sensors you mentioned yesterday. As for the multiple misfire code, i need to replace 2 of my coil packs and get new plugs and wires before i'll know the extent of the over-haul i'll need to do. But i do appreciate all your help and wisdom.

Need help i have an 2005 toyota sienna and when i start it it goes straight to the number 1 it use to idle in 0 area and now when i drive it and com to the stop light and to move off it jumpor i have to rev it to move can anyone help me please i have change transmission fluid and filter this pass week already.

Most Helpful Answer

A multiple misfire can certainly cause the engine to surge. You said you know what this was from - please elaborate.

The tachometer is just showing what the engine is already doing; it does not affect how the engine runs.

I still say there is something else going on in your computer system. Checking trouble codes is only one thing to check. Most scan tools can also check sensor values while the engine is running, and if you know what the sensor should be reading, a bad one can be spotted easily.

BILL

i ended up taking the vehicle in and it turned out it was the module componet itself that needed to be repleced they wanted 500.00 just for that to be replaced!!! all it was is a small motor that connects to the back of the gauge box.

i hope this makes sense, if i explained it right, it has been awhile since the problem was explained to me.

My chysler 300 is doing the same thing ever since marty Cancila in stl did a ignition recall on my car. Never had any problems with the car till they touched it. Now they say $3000 to fix computer problems cause they didn't cause this problem???? Funny how I never had any problems till they touched my car. Also all kinds of lights are coming on the dashboard. Go figure!

Careful of who you trust as a mechanical cause some of them will intentionally wreck something so you have to go back

Never use A to Z auto or something will go wrong

Hey friends if your car RPM goes down to zero then do following steps.

1.Check your fuel pump

2.Make it Throttle body clean

3.Make your injector clean

4.Check your RPM Sensor

5.Check your car Emulator

6.Check if there is any gas leakage near by your car engine.

Do All the above your car will be smooth and there will be no problem related to RPM.

Why is the rpm staying on 0 on 99 Camry when sitting still or driving

This could possibly be your output speed sensor, related to the transmission. It controls the odometer. Generally this part is inexpensive, and you could locate it, and possibly change it yourself. Hope this helps!

I have Chevrolet optra 2006 model ,I have some problem now days while driving it goes fine some time if we give acceleration it does not move raising what happened how to rectify the problem. We are waiting in signal or traffic then we give acceleration at the time also rpm not raising it comes down and car will move slowly pl give solutions

Alternator may not be charging Battery properly

Engine have fuel problem . Somewhere the fuel drop then suddenly rpm decrease better check the complete fuel system from tank to injectors also check the rpm sensor .

I was wondering I have an 06 Buick lacerne and we took it to advanced and had it read and they said one thing popped up on it I think it was some kind of sensor but my rpm jumps and its like it shifts hard. Sorry not really good with this kind of stuff.

My Toyota Camry 2008 at 73k milliage when driving from start when I start to accelerate the automatic gear to gear 2 or 3. It will stand as if it stop for second before it pickup the race. Don't know what happen to the gear. Can someone enlighten me if it injector need to be clean or fuel pump.

Teresa will be eternally grateful.