Final generation of the Pontiac Grand Am.

Why is it when driving the RPM gauge drops or jumps up?

When I'm accelerating and get to required speed my RPM gauge either drops and steadies or jumps up then steadies back. Also if i push her too much to go faster too quickly it starts acting like the transmission is slipping. I've figured out that if i stop (in a safe place, of course) and cut the engine and wait a few minutes and restart the engine the transmission is fine again. I was told i needed new intake gaskets, i did that and it's still happening? could it be a sensor?

Is it just your tachometer or can you feel the vehicle surging? Any errors codes or is your check engine light on?

I agree with oldturkey - the first step is to check the computer memory for trouble codes. From your description, you might have a crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor that is starting to fail.

BILL

My service engine soon light is on and the code it's throwing is multiple misfire, but that is a whole different issue. I know what that is from. It wasn't throwing any codes when this started happening but i was told i needed my intake gaskets replaced. But after having that done it didn't fix the problem. It is just the tachometer jumping unless i come to a stop then the car sometime, not always tries to lunge forward.

Okay, thank you Bill for your insight. I will have my mechanic check the sensors you mentioned yesterday. As for the multiple misfire code, i need to replace 2 of my coil packs and get new plugs and wires before i'll know the extent of the over-haul i'll need to do. But i do appreciate all your help and wisdom.

Need help i have an 2005 toyota sienna and when i start it it goes straight to the number 1 it use to idle in 0 area and now when i drive it and com to the stop light and to move off it jumpor i have to rev it to move can anyone help me please i have change transmission fluid and filter this pass week already.

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

A multiple misfire can certainly cause the engine to surge. You said you know what this was from - please elaborate.

The tachometer is just showing what the engine is already doing; it does not affect how the engine runs.

I still say there is something else going on in your computer system. Checking trouble codes is only one thing to check. Most scan tools can also check sensor values while the engine is running, and if you know what the sensor should be reading, a bad one can be spotted easily.

BILL

that wasnt much help lol thanks

Hey friends if your car RPM goes down to zero then do following steps.

1.Check your fuel pump

2.Make it Throttle body clean

3.Make your injector clean

4.Check your RPM Sensor

5.Check your car Emulator

6.Check if there is any gas leakage near by your car engine.

Do All the above your car will be smooth and there will be no problem related to RPM.

Why is the rpm staying on 0 on 99 Camry when sitting still or driving

This could possibly be your output speed sensor, related to the transmission. It controls the odometer. Generally this part is inexpensive, and you could locate it, and possibly change it yourself. Hope this helps!

Alternator may not be charging Battery properly

Engine have fuel problem . Somewhere the fuel drop then suddenly rpm decrease better check the complete fuel system from tank to injectors also check the rpm sensor .

check fuel pressure between fuel pump and injectors. you may have a fuel pump that is about to fail.

I have a 1992 Chevrolet blazer I went in to get fuel filter changed they broke the fuel line said I needed a new fuel pump they fixed it but I got a oil change 2 months ago and a tune up new spark plugs disturber cap, spark plug wires, I had a leak in the pcb vulvae they put a new tube but its still hesitating and cutting off rpm keep idling and going down check gauges and service engine soon light on and battery light when i turn the key over all auto part stores say they dont have the diagnostic for a 1992 i just want to hear my pipes and not keep cutting off 2000 dollars and my blue boy stll sick please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a lady if any one can help my name is MissDronda Bivens on FB the profile with the glasses

A car that is 26 years old will have to be put to rest. How much shoe polish can you apply to a pair of 26 year old used shoes? All your car problems are happening because when 1 item is fixed, the next item, which is now many years older, is now over worked and its that items time to quit working. Its best to trade in and purchase a vehicle atleast from 2008 to now.

My vehicle Camry 2004 Manual 1 Gear and 2 Gear problem, jumping not move smoothly, RPM not raising above 2000xrpm after goes down & jerking I can't drive more than 90km speed, no engine light symbol. I check mechanic they advise to change spark plugs, coil & fuel filter, still not solved. please advise next what to do.

I would look into cleaning the throttle body you may not be getting a good air to fuel mixture, along with that you may clean the MAP sensor or mass air pressure sensor it maybe telling your cars computer to take in more air because it is dirty.

I have 2001 Pontiac grand Prix she sometimes hesitates.. when. Accelerating. My rmp I notice it jumps from one - two when idling. I'm still unsure for the hesitation on accelerating I have a new Fuel filter, fuel pump, new battery and new alternator.. any help? But went for a 40min drive. And well that's 9mins to my home is when I notice my RMP been sitting at 0 while I'm driving.

I have a Mustang 1992 in a problem

When you are on the road close abruptly

Re-run the key and run again

So help me

And thank you

I have a 2008 g6 that’s just started to have problems. The rpms have been reving to 5 grand and has hesitation on take off. Engine light is not one could this be a misfire/ bad connection in the plugs?

Teresa will be eternally grateful.