Kindle 2

Amazon's second generation e-reader with a 6'' e-ink display, five-way controller, and QWERTY keyboard.

Why is my screen frozen even after hard reset?

It started with keys on the little keyboard hitting...the y key over and over, though nothing was touching the button. I did a hard reset and for a while it worked, then the y key kept spamming again. I hard reset it again and now it's stuck at the 'amazon kindle please wait a moment while your Kindle starts up' screen and nothing I do changes it.

The top half of my keyboard kindle is frozen how can i get this fix

by Gail Moore

1) Charge the Kindle battery. Charge it for at least an hour and see if the Kindle is working properly. If your Kindle was frozen due to low battery then this will solve your problem.

2) If your Kindle is still frozen go for a soft reset. Press Alt, Shift, R keys at the same time to do a soft reset. Your kindle screen would go blank and come back to life after some time.

3) If your Kindle is still frozen after the soft reset then you need to go for a hard reset. You can do a hard reset as follows:

- Make sure the battery is charged.

- If the Kindle is connected to power supply, switch off the supply and remove the charger cord.

- Turn the Kindle and take the grey cover off.

- You will see a small hole below the word "Reset". Insert a paper clip in the hole and press gently for about 10 seconds.

- Your Kindle screen would go blank and the Kindle will restart. If it doesn't happen immediately, give it a few seconds.

4) If your Kindle is still frozen after a soft and hard reset, you can try replacing the battery.

If your Kindle is still frozen after doing everything mentioned above, you need to contact Amazon Kindle support team. Log into your Amazon account, locate "Manage my Kindle" link and contact the support team by clicking on the support link at top right hand corner of the screen.

If you need any further assistance please ask :)

Thanks to you I got my Kindle restarted - had no idea it could be reset - had finally got directed to your page after countless searches to see what could have been wrong - have hundreds of books on mine and would have a hard time getting a lot of them back so would have been lost forever but not now!

by jnc500

Most Helpful Answer

My wife let her Kindle Paper White's battery get so low that the screen froze. Last night she put it on charge and this morning it still had a frozen screen and it hadn't charged. Here's what you need to do if it happens to you. Fasten it to your computer. Your computer will not recognize it. Hard-boot the Kindle by holding the power button down for 20 seconds or more. Nothing appears to happen. Leave things as they are for an hour or so and it will then tell you that it is charging (with a never-seen-before screen). Again, your computer still won't recognize the fact that it's fastened to it. Leave things alone! Eventually, the Kindle will shut down properly, it will reboot, your computer will recognize it and it will start to charge normally. You don't need to "eject" it from your computer, just leave it alone and it will charge fully and then you can use it. When the battery gets SO low, it's a game of patience and I suspect the same is true of other stubborn frozen screen situations.

My screen was frozen and no power lights turned on; I tried everything posted here, including calling Amazon, who said it looked like my screen was done for after we tried everything again for good measure. I opened the back and messed around a little, taking the battery out and putting it back in, and just pushing on connections to make sure they were snug. Now I just plugged it in again and the amber charging light is on! Progress...I never found the reset button, though. I think I have a first generation kindle keyboard. I bought it secondhand on Amazon.

I have a Kindle 1 and I always turn it off when I am finished using it. Well I have not used it for a while and now I need it for classes and when I went to turn it on I saw that it had a Critical Battery error on the screen. My Kindle only has a Quick Start guide which is practically useless so I did not know how to reset the machine. I did some research online and through trial and error I now have an amber light! My screen is still showing the error, but I am going to let it charge for a couple hours before I reset or operate again.

1. Tried holding the Power button to the side for 20+ seconds (multiple times)

2. Tried holding the Power button to the side for 30+ seconds and then holding the Home button for 20+ seconds (multiple times)

3. Removed the back cover and unscrewed the battery and left it out of the Kindle for 10 minutes to kill any residual battery connection

4. Put the battery back in the Kindle, fastened the battery and closed the cover

no change up until this point

5. Held the Power button to the side and pressed the Home button at the same time for 30+ seconds and Eureka the amber light came on!

Mine is just stuck on the screen with the person on the hill under the tree :L the bar hasn't moved for 15 minutes. I had held the slider back for 20 seconds. What should I do?

i had a kindle before and the screen half froze. now on my second kindle it has happend once againn :( what should i do?

If only part of your screen is frozen, it sounds like you have a broken screen. Might need replaced.

by Holishopper

try googling repair a frozen kindle screen, or hold slider button for about 30 seconds and then while holding slider in on position push on home key for about about 20 seconds and a screen should come up where you can type in reset and it will change screen to recovery mode and then push r button and your kindle will start again, you do lose books but they are easy to replace back on kindle if you have them in a library on pc. This is better than a kindle that doesnt work, please note this is for the kindle keyboard ereader.

Hope this helps at least one person!!!!

Regards Viv

uggghhh mine too. try reseting it

I have a different type of kindle and the bottom half of the screen is stuck on the screen saver and the top is completely white with an empty battery sign on it. Been on charge for 2 hours now and (there is an amber light) resetting doesn't help.

by charleyce

all the help screens for my kindle to do with frozen screens say to turn it on and off again. This simply does not work. There are tantalising links to other pages but, hey, this being the modern age when nobody does anything that is useful, constructive or businesslike, the links all lead back to the original advice - turn it on and off again. Utterly useless. How many people get paid to construct illusory comforting forum/websites etc? Save the money and get people in that can actually do some proper work - just a suggestion. Certainly not happy.

Crystal will be eternally grateful.