iPhone 3GS

Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

iPhone 3GS Won't turn on!

Please help!

My iphone 3GS (32 gb) randomly turned off last night and now won't come back on. I know it was at least 70% charged the last time I used it before setting it down, and since I wasn't using it at the time it happened, I am not sure if it crashed or if the battery died.

I tried to charge it with my wall adapter, car adapter, and I tried hooking it up with USB to my laptop - nothing has worked.

Do you think this a battery issue (since it doesn't even show a "charging" symbol when I plug it in)? It is an older phone and I've never replaced any parts on it.

I want to avoid having to restore since I will lose all my data which wasn't properly backed up the last time I connected to itunes! And I especially don't want to lose all my pictures! :(

OMG! Myabi I am having the exact same problem. I was putting my iPhone 3GS on charging. after 35 seconds, I realized it was not charging. I TRIED ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! it just won't work and to make matters worse, it doesn't show the battery sign on it. not even the red one. Coincidentally, my battery was also 70%charged when I plugged it into my wall charger.

by Fatima Khan

Buy a new one. I suggest the 5S because is the latest one.

by Steve

that's not &&^&^$^ helping is it you !$$&*

by dave

i got a problem too with my iphone 3gs. it does charge but it doesnt turn on. :( what should i do?

by beayarinbitolz

Most Helpful Answer

Miyabi, it will be difficult to try to not do a restore. I would suggest to try the phone in DFU and to restore, but you do want to avoid it. Try a hard reset and see if that makes a difference:

Hold the sleep/wake button at the top right and the home button at the same time.

Hold them until the screen goes black. You may even need to keep holding them after the red power off slider appears. If it does, just keep holding the buttons.

Once the Apple appears you can let go since your phone should now be rebooting.

If no change with that, then start with a new battery. It is possible that your battery is at the end of its life cycle and no longer holds a charge. Of course there are plenty of other things but any of those would lead to a restore. The guide for the repair is here. Definitely back up your phone more frequent...:)

Mentioned Items

iPhone 3GS Battery Image

Guide

iPhone 3GS Battery Replacement

by Ben Eisenman Difficulty: Moderate20 to 30 minutes

Thank you! Yes I'm at all costs trying to avoid a restore! The first thing I did was try to reboot but since it was already completely off, the screen does nothing! I'm hoping that since it won't charge or turn on at all, it's just a battery issue. I did notice that it becomes drained pretty fast during the day when I'm using it. Thank you so much for the repair link!

by Miyabi

I had the same issue, and mysteriously the battery was also at 70%! i tried the hard reset and it worked. thankyou!!

by Lewis Pearson

Hey,

1st

Maybe try downloading f0recast-v1.3 it displays all the current info about your iPhone but it waits for your phone to connect. if it does not then it may be a dead phone.

2nd option

Change the battery. but purchase a legit OEM battery

they are more expensive but well worth it.

3rd option

Try looking at the bottom connector if any dirt is trapped then clean. or replace the dock connector , not expensive.

4th option

Try the reset 10 seconds power down with holding the home button. keep doing it till something happens might not work though.. but may be that your battery just gave out. so needs replacing

Thanks Dayne! I'll definitely try all this out! I receieved this phone second hand almost 2 yrs ago, so it has some wear and tear and the battery is definitely old. One more question - how can I make sure it's an OEM battery? Which retailers sell legit ones? (Sorry this is a dumb question - I'm not tech-y)

by Miyabi

I'm probably a bit late, but iFixit sells great batteries right here. I'd go with them

by Corry

Just charge the barttey for 2 days to start the fresh Line up i tried and it work because the suddenly dead cells of the barttey Cells are dead mostly overcharging or overheating

Miyabi will be eternally grateful.