Second generation of Wi-Fi iPad, released on March 11, 2011. Model number A1395. Repair is difficult and will require heat.

Removing digitizer glue residue

I have an iPad2 on which the digitizer was completely shattered and had to be removed piece by piece. I've done this but there is a lot of glue residue left all around the edge of the device. I have the 3M glue pads and I'm ready to install the new digitizer, but I want to remove all the old glue first, some of which still has somevery fine glass shards stuck to it. Is there a solvent I can use to achive this without damaging the device? If not, is there a way to do this so that I've got a clean surface to apply the new glue pads to?

You can use a spudger (metal or plastic) to scrape it off. A putty knife, or any flat scraping utensil will work also. Just go slowly and work it bit by bit. The glue will ball up and can be peeled off. If you want to loosen it some, take a hairdryer and heat up the glue. That will get it to soften and release. Just be careful to avoid blowing heat directly onto the LCD, stick to the edges.

Try some hand sanitizer with a soft cleaning cloth.

Most Helpful Answer

Goo gone and rubbing alcohol work great

CHARCOAL LIGHTER FLUID

Not sure if this will work for iPads but I use it for laptop digitizer bezels and it works for me.

Pour some lighter fluid into a small glass. Not much, just enough to dip a Q-tip.

Dip the Q-tip into the fluid and gently coat the adhesive and let it soak in for a few minutes.

Use the dipped Q-tip to remove the adhesive using a forward pushing motion as if you are shoveling or chiseling it off. It softens the adhesive to a point which it won't stick to your fingers and leaves no residue. There may be an oily feel and doesn't smell too great but it works pretty good actually.

After completely removing the adhesive, I go back around the bezel and clean with rubbing alcohol to remove and residual finger prints, adhesive debris, etc.

Oh and I don't recommend smoking while handling the lighter fluid and would recommend not using it around any electrical sources or batteries, etc.

I use 99% alcohol to clean the housing.

hi, i have an ipad mini2 my screen is broken i try to change my screen i have remove the broken screen and there is some glue still stick on it. i used the 409 and window cleaner still didn't come out. what should i use to remove it?

Tried 80% alcohol (windshield wiper), which had zero impact. Also tried hydrogen peroxide 3% (for cleaning wounds) just in case that works, also no impact. Acetone ultra strong nail polish remover also zero impact.

Scraping with nails seems to work best of these things, but doesn't really work. Yet to try 99% alcohol :).

At the moment I used acetone and then scraped, followed by using some oil to clean it a bit more - stuff we had in the house. Still not good, but almost OK.

Try goo gone its for removing residue and glues.

Simon will be eternally grateful.