Kenmore Elite HE3 Dryer

The Kenmore Elite HE3 is 7.2 cu. ft. capacity electric dryer by Kenmore.

has no power at all, no lights, no nothing

dryer was working fine one day then the next went to dry a load of clothes and nothing, no lights, no power, checked the cord and its fine, checked power to the board and its fine, any help please

do not think it is the door switch because even the light inside the dryer does not come on, and it is a digital dryer so the front panel would also light up, i also tested the thermal fuse and it is good, have power to the dryer because i forgot to unplug it when i tested the thermal fuse and it zapped me, any other ideas

by kory hentges

kory hentges, here is what the service manuial says to try first. Check to see if you can get in the diagnostics mode

"The Diagnostic Tests will test and verify all of the inputs to the machine control electronics board. These tests are an overall check of the dryer electronics and the related components. The tests should be run prior to making any of the troubleshooting tests.

ACTIVATING THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODE

1. Make sure that the dryer is in the “Standby” mode (plugged in and all of the indicators are off).

2. Press the following control panel keypad sequence all within 5 seconds:

More Time—Less Time—More Time—Less Time.

3. All indicators on the console should nowbe illuminated with “88” showing in the “Estimated Time Remaining” display, if this test mode has been entered successfully." Also, check to make sure that ribbon connectors P3 and P4 are inserted all the way into the machine control electronics board. The service manual also suggest that, if you unit should not power up, to:

" 1. Check the 120 VAC electrical supply.

2. Check the wiring harness connections.

3. Check the control electronics."

The attached image is the wiring diagram for the dryer. you can clearly see that the door switch is a definite possibility. If your door switch is not functioning, your drum light will not come on. Hope this helps, good luck.

What if the light comes on, but no power? Tried connecting the 2 blue wires to see if switch/fuse bad, still nothing

by Jim G

He said no power at all. This post is useless at all

by Andy Abreu

If there is no power to the control panel, you can't run a diagnostic. Please see my query below. He may be having the same issue as I did. Any temperatures, now, below 64 degrees, and it won't turn on. I have to unplug, warm the room, replug, wait, and it powers on. BUT I want to know what part needs to be replaced since that WAS NOT necessary before the issue began. No one has been able to help me from anywhere. I just want to know what part to test out and replace. where is the blasted temperature control that is responsible for this specific problem?

I'm begging!

by IknowGodis2

Most Helpful Answer

Door switch

If the door switch or the door-switch actuator is defective, the dryer won't work and you need to replace the failed component. The switch is inside the dryer main housing near the door frame. Sometimes you need to raise or open the top or front of the dryer to reach the switch. To determine if the door switch has failed, watch the part testing video at the link on the bottom of this page.

Thermal fuse

On many dryers, there's a thermal fuse (a heat-sensitive fuse that blows if the dryer overheats) mounted to the exhaust duct inside the back cover panel. The fuse is about an inch long. It's usually embedded in black resin and mounted in a white plastic housing.

If the fuse has blown, it has no continuity. When this happens, your dryer either just stops heating, or it doesn't work at all. Be sure to inspect the venting/heating system before replacing the fuse to put the dryer back into operation. (You can't re-set this type of fuse.) To determine if the thermal fuse has blown out, watch the part testing video at the bottom of this page.

Wiring

Often the main wiring connection from the house, at the dryer, burns and the connection breaks. In this has happened to your dryer, you need to replace the power cord and the terminal block inside the dryer to which the wire is attached.

http://www.repairclinic.com/Dryer-Troubl...

He said he checked the thermal fuse. So this post is also useless

by Andy Abreu

Andy Abreu, you are nothing but a rude *%$wipe.........

by sowerscraige

after running test all lights came on and a beeping, the dryer would then come on and heat but the beeping will not stop. If I turn the dryer off I have to run the test again to get it to start and the beeping is still on.

by Sandie Ardemagni

Sandie, if you wouldn't mind would you please start a new question with your exact symptoms, make and model of machine. This question is four year old and has been accepted and I feel we could better serve you with answers specifically dealing with your problem.

by mayer

This has happened to me three times. The first time, the problem went away after I unplugged it for a while and fiddled with the breaker turning it on and off a few times. All of a sudden it started working again.

The second time, about a month later, after trying the above to no avail, I cleaned out the dust at the bottom, replaced the burned out drum light and fiddled with a few other things. Nothing. Then I lifted the head (slide a putty knife under the ends from the front). The whole thing flips back on plastic hinges at the top. I disconnected and reconnected the ribbon. That worked! I am genius, I think.

Today, a month or two later, same thing happens. So, I try ribbon deal again, and again several time, disconnect and reconnect a few other things, testing after each step. Nothing. Stop to search the net for a while for some other solution. Finding nothing, go back and try disconnecting and reconnecting the ribbon again. And, this time it worked. I'm back in business. Who knows for how long. The ribbon connections are marked P4 and P3.

After writing the above, I went back to check the dryer which was drying my clothes as I wrote. The clothes are dry but the head is now dead again. Nothing happens when I push any button. Shoot! Must be something to do with the ribbon and its connections. Can't see paying $250 for new control board. Might as well just get a new dryer.

Blow on the ribbon connection like a Nintendo cartridge. Or spray wd40 on it. That's what I'm gonna try tomorrow. Wd40 on this pos

by James Edington

GE Profile Harmony electric dryer: Here's a tricky one for you. My dryer suddenly won't power on when it's cold outside. I wonder if anyone who posted here just never correlated the room temperature into the equation.

I am able to keep it working in the winter: I have to set it on delay start so that the control display panel won't turn off. As long as the digital panel stays lit, it's fine.

If I forget to set the delay function, I have to heat the room around the dryer's control panel, unplug the dryer for twenty minutes, replug it, wait five minutes, then, if it's warm enough in the room, it will power on. It wasn't always like this. For the first five years, this never happened -- no matter how cold it got outside. Thank you in advance!

I've read several other posts online about the same issue, but no one has the answer on what to replace in order to fix it. Can you be our hero?

Here's the answer for me (I inherited a set of the he4's). I removed the plug (didn't want to get zapped) then removed the top, exposing the board that the electronic ribbons are plugged into. I removed and reseated these ribbons (if I recall correctly there were only two). Plugged back in to test. Pushed buttons to see if display would light up...and voila!

I realize that the problem could be completely different from what my machine was experiencing... but for mine it was a connection issue with how the ribbons are seated. There's a way to improve the contact on those connections with a contact cleaner spray/lubricant. I haven't messed with any yet, but will do the next go around when it needs another fix.

Did the problem occur when it was cold outside, or did it just never work and this is how you fixed the issue?

by IknowGodis2

Having this similar problem. Just had the Kenmore he4's handed down to us from my parents. They worked just fine, we got them into our new house. Hooked the dryer up properly it came on for a second shot out a dime and stopped.The power supply and power cord are excellent. But the front panel will not come on what so ever. I am confused as in what to do? help please.. any answers?

There is a design issue with the Kenmore HE4 dryer, and this is likely similar to the HE3 line. The HE4 (correct me if the HE3 is different..) has it's air exhaust below the front door. What happens is, clothes will tend to block this vent as they slump around. Moisture will build up in the cabinet , which isnt a big issue in itself, as you did put wet clothes in... but enough of this moisture makes its way thru the cabinet onto the two control boards., causing issues. On mine, it would intermittently refuse to start (no lights , no response to buttons). This turned out to be one of the front panel microswitches.. it had corrosion around the pin connectors. The chipset does a self-check before startup and it found the switch apparently in the fully pressed mode (the corrosion). Replacing the small switch ($2) solved the issue.

The design fault can be worked around. All you have to do is make sure the clothes dont block the vent too much. One way to do this is do only dry very small loads. The better way, IMHO, is to elevate the front of the machine a little (1" etc). You can do this with the adjustable feet, or a simple bit of wood block etc. Now, the clothes will tend to 'walk' towards the rear of the drum , allowing proper airflow.

I found our HE4 dryer at the local dump (small rural community).. I presume the previous owner refused to pay the $400 cost of new circuit boards and instead tossed it. Appliance repair guys just swap boards nowadays.. no one wants to replace cheap electronic switches etc.

As a bonus.. we discovered another HE4 a coupla years later, also at the dump (no, these were not in the 'pit' with the regular garbage.. ick.. theres a separate place for scrap metal etc), so now I have a box of spare parts for mine !

If you have an HE3/4 and dont suspect you will have an issue.. check out your dryer vent while it's running a full load. If the vent flow is very erratic , you will have a circuit board problem eventually !

What $2 part do I need? I'm willing to start with that to try. I'm fairly handy but how involved is this? Thanks!

by samfoster80

I have a GE Front load dryer (GFMS150) only 2.5 years old and this is the second time we have a no power issue. The first was within the warranty period when the Service tech replaced both the control brd and power brd. Unfortunately, 15 months later the dryer won`t turn on again? I have verified the breaker and the 2 fuses, the thermostats and door switch which all work. I measure 120V on the power brd inputs.

I am not sure what to try next other than the controller and power brds. Please let me know your suggestions and thoughts...

I found the issue with my Dryer to be loose power cable connection in the entry to the dryer. I clean them up and re-secured the power cable and all is work again.

Having the same issue with the power board not working at all. We had flashing electricity during blizzard. Tried the ribbon trick above, no luck. All other connections look secure. The drum light works, so it's not the power cord. At a loss. Thinking have to replace boards, but thinking too much $$ for that.

by starmanfour

Unplug unit for at least 20 minutes. Raise temperature in room to above 80° F. Replug unit. Wait at least 20 minutes. Test power. If it powers on, You're experiencing the same issue I am. No one has helped. We have to keep the panel on delay in order to have a dryer. If we forget, we have to reheat the room and follow the same process. It's a HUGE PAIN!

by IknowGodis2

I have a kenmore he4t model 11085087400 dryer. the inside drum light is the only thing that will come on. The lights on the panel will not light up and the dryer will not start at all. I have checked the power cord. I have checked the continuity of the thermal fuse.. I have checked the door switch power. I have checked the continuity of the heating element.. the only thing that does work is the inside drum light. Please help. I did notice that there is no continuity in the thermistor from one pin to the other will this stop the panel from lighting up too?

kory hentges will be eternally grateful.