iPhone 3GS

Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Why can't I activate my iPhone 3GS

Tried quite alot of techniques to recover/format my Iphone 3GS, but it just isn't working, keeps popping up with a message saying "Could not activate iphone, try connecting your Iphone to Itunes to activate it" but when the iphone is in power with itunes it reads the phone and asks for a sim card, but doesn't read the sim cards.

Also tried alot of software updates and resetting the Iphone itself, but it keeps failing on me and doesn't allow me to proceed to anything else

First, enter the IMEI in a lost/stolen database, that will cause issues easy if blocked

To get the IMEI #, look on the box or go under settings, genreal, about and you'll find your IMEI

http://www.smsfun.co.uk/imei_lookup

use that to check the IMEI, if it's clean, read on, if bad, sell as-is with a bad IMEI, illegal to change as much as I wish it was legal for legitimate uses, even tough it's tough, due to the possible legalities, I'm not going to discuss how, nor do I even know how to do it either, but I KNOW it can be done(if you have to do this, save ALL proof you bought it in case they want proof it is not stolen unless you fancy a possible trip to prison if the judge thinks you did! THIS IS A LAST RESORT!), if you do this, understand you CAN NOT sell the phone's motherboard (or give it away to be safe), the motherboard HAS TO be destroyed if it gets banned again, it's a VERY bad idea if it's banned this time to do it again, frankly, it's better to NOT do this to the phone if it can be helped, PERIOD

It is possible to try this, if blocked, call AT&T or T-mobile, or your carrier and tell them it is a accident you have the phone in your possession, this has a low success rate because because they want your money, but it's worth a shot and repeated tries should make them crack, try as hard as you can to make them crack, consider it a contribution to keep it out of the landfill(having your receipt or a credit statement really help if this works or not)

Restore the iPhone in DFU mode

press and hold the power and reset buttons, and then when the apple logo comes up, let go of the power button and keep holding the home button, it will be in DFU mode, then click restore, you will lose everything

If that fails, sounds like a bad baseband, I believe the 3GS baseband chip is on the logicboard, not antenna, but you can flash it to unlock and it may fix

Here is the logicboard guide for the logicboard

iPhone 3GS Logic Board Replacement

Based on my knowledge of the 3Gs, it's antenna is part of the dock connector

iPhone 3GS Dock Connector

iPhone 3GS Dock Connector Replacement

during restore it gives any error or not? if gives then it may be a hardware issue. after restoring check out the imei number of the iphone. if that column showing blank then you will not activate your iphone.

I tried restoring it through itunes like you normally would, but it said restoring error cannot restore device

by Pavel

what error itunes giving while restoring?

by SIMRAN

NICK!!!!

Thanks soooo much for helping, I had the exact same problem. The phone I have I swapped it with a rubbish blackberry with my friend because they dont like the iphone! I think i tried to reboot the phone and it was coming up with this exact message!

I phoned my network company and they told me it was apples connections that had failed and will be fixed in 24hours....that of course didn't happen. I just tried to restore the iphone DFU mode when plugging my iphone into the computer! IT WORKS! SO THANK YOU <3

((Restore the iPhone in DFU mode

press and hold the power and reset buttons, and then when the apple logo comes up, let go of the power button and keep holding the home button, it will be in DFU mode, then click restore, you will lose everything))

Take it back to ATT and get a new sim card.

A SIM card is plausible, yes, but it's not as likely as a corrupted baseband, if they use the SIM another phone fine, it's the baseband or software

by Nick

or bad IMEI, or software

by Nick

my iphon imei 01 216400 617058 3

iccid. Unkown

Pavel will be eternally grateful.