iPhone 3GS

Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Why can't I activate my iPhone 3GS

Tried quite alot of techniques to recover/format my Iphone 3GS, but it just isn't working, keeps popping up with a message saying "Could not activate iphone, try connecting your Iphone to Itunes to activate it" but when the iphone is in power with itunes it reads the phone and asks for a sim card, but doesn't read the sim cards.

Also tried alot of software updates and resetting the Iphone itself, but it keeps failing on me and doesn't allow me to proceed to anything else

The first test to see why it's happening is to see if the IMEI is blacklisted for being lost/stolen, or nonpayment. You can do this here. If it's blacklisted on one carrier, it's useless for all of them now. If you find the IMEI is bad, the best thing you can do is find the owner, or take it to the police and have them hold it for the required time before it legally becomes yours. Do not sell it or change the IMEI.

Changing the board is also a major risk. It could be blacklisted, damaged or good. You may not know until you find out it is still attached to an account, or blacklisted until you know you got screwed. Your safest option is to call the carrier and ask them to try and allow it, but this will almost certainly not work. They only help the original person who signed the contract.

What you can try to do is restore the phone in Recovery Mode, to see if it's bad software or carrier files and it needs new files from Apple's carrier activation server.

To do this, you need to press and hold the power button and home button until the phone resets, and then when it gets to the Apple logo, let go of the power button. The phone should enter recovery mode. This won't fix every case, but it's worth a try.

If that doesn't help, it's a baseband issue. This means you need a new motherboard, since the baseband chip is married to the board it's installed on. You really can't swap this easily. It's best to consider a baseband failure phone junk. The baseband chip that failed is on the board. Changing the antenna does nothing.

during restore it gives any error or not? if gives then it may be a hardware issue. after restoring check out the imei number of the iphone. if that column showing blank then you will not activate your iphone.

I tried restoring it through itunes like you normally would, but it said restoring error cannot restore device

by Pavel

what error itunes giving while restoring?

by SIMRAN

Take it back to ATT and get a new sim card.

NICK!!!!

Thanks soooo much for helping, I had the exact same problem. The phone I have I swapped it with a rubbish blackberry with my friend because they dont like the iphone! I think i tried to reboot the phone and it was coming up with this exact message!

I phoned my network company and they told me it was apples connections that had failed and will be fixed in 24hours....that of course didn't happen. I just tried to restore the iphone DFU mode when plugging my iphone into the computer! IT WORKS! SO THANK YOU <3

((Restore the iPhone in DFU mode

press and hold the power and reset buttons, and then when the apple logo comes up, let go of the power button and keep holding the home button, it will be in DFU mode, then click restore, you will lose everything))

same situation here for me, i did it and restored somehow. but it came back to activation process and same thing happens "Could not activate iPhone"

by Francis Samonte

my iphon imei 01 216400 617058 3

iccid. Unkown

Pavel will be eternally grateful.