0

Tamashekan
57

Does washing the phone with alcohol effect the lcd

My friend's blackberry torch was damaged by water so I offered to fix it for him. The keypad and the camera weren't functioning. So i disassembled it and rinsed it with 99% alcohol. I let it dry for a day than turned it on to see if it still works. For some reason there are stains left by the alcohol on the display. By stains I mean liquid alcohol that has not been dried yet. So I put the device inside a container with rice. I'm wondering, will the alcohol leave stains on the LCD?

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , Tamashekan ( )

4

Stefano Gigante

Well, the matter with liquid damage isn't the liquid itself, but how the water (and even alchol has some water in it: most liquids have) reroutes electric impulses where they're not meant to be.

So, you should let it dry. Once it's all dried, you can turn it on. Residual stains will only be ugly to see, but not that damaging. However, you cannot tell how the stains would look once they've dried out, and once they've dried out, you could simply use a really soft microfiber cloth, reopen it and rub gently.

I can tell you that denaturated alchol once left me with a faint "milky" stain on a photocopier, that went away with a gentle rub.

yep, "water" marks on LCD will generally come off with a cloth/light alcohol wipe.

pollytintop,

Thanks for the well detailed feedback, I will try to get rid of the stains when I can get a hold of a T2 screwdriver. Cheers

Tamashekan,

You're welcome. Work carefully, avoid stripping the screws and use a soft microfiber cloth. That should address water and alchol stains.

Stefano Gigante,

0

Martin Pinter
73

Love the detailed answer above!

Alcohol is good at drying up water in PCB boards, but when it comes to the LCD, alcohol is worse then water, it leaves a dry mark on the LCD, it might go away in a week or it might stay there.

If it doesn't come off within the week, you should try replacing the Blackberry digitizer, or the screen.

Thanks for the info, the phone had many other issues, so I got rid of it. I guess my question will help someone in the future.

Tamashekan,