Repair and disassembly guides for a large selection of Canon digital and film cameras.

Getting Error 99 on my Canon 20-D

I dropped it and now its a solid Error 99, nothing cures it. Repair possible?

Jack, what have you tried so far?

Thanks for the suggestions and the link to Richards Notes. Its def a hard failure tho. W/o card, lens and w/full battery it gives err 99. The shutter fires when the battery is inserted, and when the switch is moved every other position, off, on, or arrow. The shutter button itself is non-functional. Lifting the mirror and inspecting the shutter as suggested in Richards notes did not turn up anything. Gotta be the elect. card inside. I'll just get a new camera and sell this one. For $99!

Jack

I think err99 is just general err about shutter. because I've read many posts and they're all different and not related.

In my case, it's funny because i got err99, but fixed by just turning the camera to vertical shooting or upside down.

I still got err99 when I shoot with normal position (horizontal), but no err99 when I shoot with upside down and portrait(vertical)

: )

Jack, first off here is some great general information about the error. Since your got the error after a fall, I would check the lens itself. The error may originate by a lens-body failure to communicate. Remove the lens and clean the contacts with an eraser and replace it . See what happens. Here is another great way to trouble shot " To isolate the cause of the issue, we suggest that you do the following:

1. Turn off the camera.

2. Remove the lens, battery, and CF card.

3. Allow the camera to sit without power for approximately 20 minutes.

4. Insert a fully charged battery, and turn on the camera.

5. Depress the shutter button as you would to take a picture.

Does the “ERR 99″ message appear? If it does, then the camera should be

serviced. If it does not, then please proceed to the next set of steps:

1. Turn off the camera.

2. Insert the CF card.

3. Turn on the camera.

4. Format the CF card in the camera.

Does the “ERR 99″ message appear? If so, then the CF card is the most

likely source of the issue. Try using a different card.

If the message does not appear, please complete the following steps:

1. Turn off the camera.

2. Clean the lens contacts by gently rubbing them with a pencil eraser

or soft cloth. Be careful that you do not let any debris fall into the

camera body.

3. Reattach your lens.

4. Turn on the camera.

5. Depress the shutter button as you would to take a picture." from here. Hope this helps, good luck.

Error 99 is vague. This error is used for a lot of Canon DSLR errors, so it is hard to pinoint quickly. This could be the battery, memory card or a shutter failure.

First, try a new CF card, and then run it without that one. If it doesn't crap out, it was the card.

The next thing to try is the battery. Replace the battery and try again.

Now, before we consider the camera dead try cleaning the lens contacts, or using a different lens as a last resort to the problem. If cleaning the contacts and replacing the lens does not work, the shutter went bad. Sadly, this isn't an easy fix for most people so you will likely have to go to a shop. It is possible, but you are tearing the whole camera down since Canon didn't intend for this to last more then 50k actuations due to the class of camera this is.

Due to the age of the 20D if it is a body fault, I would consider the camera EOL unless you need to keep it in service and just get a lower end one to match this if you were fine with the 20D so long.

Jack will be eternally grateful.