Clicking in dashboard after blinker is shut off

I have a 2004 grand am. Recently there has been a clicking that comes from my steering console. It is more apparent after I use the blinker and clicks rapidly. Sometimes it just goes off on a rant even if I haven't used my blinker. I read somewhere that it might be a relay? Is this something I can get to and fix myself inexpesivly? The shop has quoted me $150 just to diagnose the problem. Any help is appreciated!

Is it just a clicking noise or does anything happen? Any lights blinking etc.? Where do you hear it in your steering console (or are you talking about the Dashboard)?. It would help a lot if you can narrow it down a bit....

I am in the same situation -- I have an '04 Grand Am GT and the noise is driving me mad! But can't afford to spend $100's on finding out the problem, and then $100's on fixing it.

tracy, did you check the video and the comments? Do they help?

Most Helpful Answer

I fixed mine by watching this video. Make sure you also read the comments so that you can catch what the video may have not made clear or touched on. Also on certain years of this model there have been recalls on this subject. A google search of Grand Am recalls will create a short list of sites that have specific recall notices to assist in keeping the dealerships honest about knowing this very common defect in their product. Hope this helps: Jon http://youtu.be/e5g-1UkGFJA

Seems like a common problem. Looks like that will get it done.

oldturkey03: I watched the video, and then had the hubby watch it. He completed the steps from the video and reassembled everything last night. and guess what?!?! IT WORKED!!! No more ticking!!! It took, in total with watching the video (twice :)) about an hour. Now, let me be honest: my hubby is not a mechanic, and doesn't do anything with vehicles above an oil change, so he is not accustomed to doing this type of work. He watched the video, un-assembled the top of the steering column as the video described, and then watched the video again to see exactly what to do with the assembly. I am soooo excited that it worked! I drove 30 minutes this morning, and for the first time in over 2 years!!!!!!!!!!

tracy, that is GREAT. Good Job on getting it fixed....

I watched the video , did everything I was suppose to do , worked for awhile now doing it again . now what?

I'm experiencing this same problem . I'm gathering information so I can fix my problem manually.

kamisoco will be eternally grateful.