The third-generation Ram was unveiled on February 7, 2001 at the 2001 Chicago Auto Show. This was a major update including an all new frame, suspension, powertrains, interiors, and sheet metal.

2004 Dodge Ram transmission will not shift?

I was riding at normal speed and something sounded like a pop, transmission down shifted to 3rd gear, just as if you had changed to tow mode. Rpms went up and trans would not shift, stayed in 3rd gear. What could this be and how can it be fixed?

I had the same problem with it it dosent necessary mean it is your transmission is going out it could be a sensor so check your sensors

I have a 2006 ram 1500 4x4 . when i put it in drive it starys oit like in 2 or 3rd gear .so i have to turn of key and. Restart truck ,then put in drive then it drives normal .then after a few miles it drops back down to 2nd and wont shift .so i repeat the steps by turning key off and on .but it seem like its getting worst. What is the problem ?any thoughts

It sounds like it's a computer issue. You might have to take it into the dealership

I have 2003 that stars in low an will not shift till 28 mph. I like to know how to fix problem

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango the transmission starts failing and the check engine light comes on and says malfunction and then it says bulb I've changed the light bulbs in the brake lights multiple times they all kept blowing until I put halogen lights in there and now they work but the transmission still failing how are these connected

If the check engine light came on, your engine's ECU computer is registering 1 or more error codes. If you have an OBD-II scanner you can read them yourself, otherwise you'll have to take the truck to the dealership to clear them even if you fix the mechanical failure on your own.

I'm assuming it's an automatic transmission, which may or may not be owner-serviceable (I know Fords require a trip to the dealership for transmission service). However, if you're experienced in working on your truck, you may just want to look underneath to see if the driveshaft, u-joints, rear end differential, and transmission box seem to be lined up and fastened properly. The pop you heard was most likely a mechanical failure in which a mount or internal gear may have broken or seized. If nothing seems broken, twisted, bent, or leaking underneath your truck, your best bet is to get the error codes causing your check engine light scanned asap.

Good luck, transmission failures are never fun and rarely cheap. I do believe they are covered in Dodge's extended powertrain warranty, so there may be some salvation.

+ excellent answer....

That same thing happened to me ad it ended up being the Transmission Speed Sensor.

I have a 2000 dodge 5.9 diesel locked up in 3rd gear auto. threw a code governor solenoid my mechanic replaced solenoid and sensor. test drove shifted one time and locked up again and through code again. anyone have a suggestion.

Most Helpful Answer

Just to reiterate of what Derek Halman is pointing out correctly. Here are just a few of the things that could be wrong with your transmission. Best to get it scanned and narrowed down:

NO LOW GEAR (MOVES IN 2ND OR 3RD GEAR ONLY)

Possible cause

Cause 1. Governor Circuit Electrical Fault.

Solution 1. Test with DRBT scan tool and repair as required.

Cause 2. Valve Body Malfunction.

Solution 2. Remove, clean and inspect. Look for sticking 1-2 shift valve, 2-3 shift valve,governor plug or broken springs.

Cause 3. Front Servo Piston Cocked in Bore.

Solution 3. Inspect servo and repair as required.

Cause 4. Front Band Linkage Malfunction

Solution 4. Inspect linkage and look for bind in linkage.

STUCK IN LOW GEAR (WILL NOT UPSHIFT)

Cause 1. Throttle Linkage Mis-adjusted/Stuck.

Correction 1. Adjust linkage and repair linkage if worn or damaged. Check for binding cable or missing return spring.

Cause 2. Gearshift Linkage Mis-adjusted.

Solution 2. Adjust linkage and repair linkage if worn or damaged.

Cause 3. Governor Component Electrical Fault.

Solution 3. Check operating pressures and test with DRBT scan tool, repair faulty component.

Cause 4. Front Band Out of Adjustment.

Solution 4. Adjust Band.

Cause 5. Clutch or Servo Malfunction.

Solution 5. Air pressure check operation of clutches and bands. Repair faulty component.

NO 3-4 UPSHIFT

Cause 1. O/D Switch In OFF Position.

Solution 1. Turn control switch to ON position.

Cause 2. Overdrive Circuit Fuse Blown.

Solution 2. Replace fuse. Determine why fuse failed and repair as necessary (i.e., shorts or grounds in circuit).

Cause 3. O/D Switch Wire Shorted/Open Cut.

Solution 3. Check wires/connections with 12V test lamp and voltmeter. Repair damaged or loose wire/connection as necessary.

Cause 4. Distance or Coolant Sensor Malfunction.

Solution 4. Check with DRBT scan tool and repair orreplace as necessary.

Cause 5. TPS Malfunction.

Solution 5. Check with DRBT scan tool and replace if necessary.

Cause 6. Neutral Sense to PCM Wire Shorted/Cut.

Solution 6. Test switch/sensor as described in service section and replace if necessary.

Cause 7. PCM Malfunction.

Solution 7. Check with DRBT scan tool and replace if necessary.

Cause 8. Overdrive Solenoid Shorted/Open.

solution 8. Replace solenoid if shorted or open and repair loose or damaged wires (DRBT scan tool).

Cause 9. Solenoid Feed Orifice in Valve Body Blocked.

Solution 9. Remove, disassemble, and clean valve body thoroughly. Check feed orifice.

Cause 10. Overdrive Clutch Failed.

Solution 10. Disassemble overdrive and repair as needed.

Cause 11. Hydraulic Pressure Low.

Solution 11. Pressure test transmission to determine cause.

Cause 12. Valve Body Valve Stuck.

Solution 12. Repair stuck 3-4 shift valve, 3-4 timing valve.

Cause 13. O/D Piston Incorrect Spacer.

Solution 13. Remove unit, check end play and install correct spacer.

Cause 14. Overdrive Piston Seal Failure.

Solution 14. Replace both seals.

Cause 15. O/D Check Valve/Orifice Failed.

Solution 15. Check for free movement and secure assembly (in piston retainer). Check ball bleed orifice.

Does not look like a good job for a DIY'er unless you have the proper tools and knowledge. Again this is just to reenforce Derek's answer :-) best of luck to you.

Thank you for the very detailed breakdown of possible causes. I'm happy to have learned something from your elaboration.

I had trans replaced, the no shifting (safe mode) still there. Sensors changed ECM replaced, Dealer said I need a wiring harness. I can't find one. Any ideas?

Check the wires going to your tcm under your fuse box, had one corode so bad it just broke off causeing it not to shift

just change the shift cable and you will see a dramatic change

I had the same thing happen 3 weeks ago. Cruising speed. 'Pop' (a jerky, kick-down, really). Check Engine Light came on. Now in 3rd gear. Wouldn't downshift at stop sign. I turned off engine. Restarted. Transmission shifted right, but R-N-D shifts with a sloppy 'bang' (like a bad u-joint). I disconnected the battery. Waited 2 minutes. Reconnected Battery. Ck Eng light gone and truck back to normal. After 1200 miles of my regular driving, its fine. Good Luck.

I had this same problem and my truck in for servicing. They told me that the oil filter was not correctly sealed.

My truck did the exact same thing. Showed 3 different transmission codes. I disconnected the battery 2 times and the last time it coded a bad rear O2 sensor driver side along with 1 bad coil. Replaced both and ran great for 3000 miles. Did this very thing 2 days ago and coded the same transmission codes as before. I'll add that it always does this wit overdrive on as it has never done this when towing my john boat. I'm sure it's just a sensor somewhere as it acts up from time to time and then drives great for a good peruod of time.

Make sure fluid is at right level because most probably it is caused by improper fluid level or thickness of fluid. Also check your clutch linkage or shift cable and adjust them if necessary. One more problem that causes gear shift problem is vehicle’s computer system that controls the automatic transmission (as you see at buyusedengine.com). You need to reset it. Resetting takes most likely 30 minutes but if even after resetting, it doesn’t work, time to go for a mechanic.

Make sure fluid is at right level because most probably it is caused by improper fluid level or thickness of fluid. Also check your clutch linkage or shift cable and adjust them if necessary. One more problem that causes gear shift problem is vehicle’s computer system that controls the automatic transmission as you see at buyusedengine(.)com. You need to reset it. Resetting takes most likely 30 minutes but if even after resetting, it doesn’t work, time to go for a mechanic.

John, As a first step, have a good Technician scan for trouble codes, diagnose and estimate repair. Takes a lot of guess work out of transmission fault diagnosing if there are codes set.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

I had the vehicle taken to an AAA approved facility (this happened on the road) on a roll-off never turning the engine off. Technician checked codes, wiring, etc. Nothing found. They kept it 2 days while we stayed in a nearby motel. They tried driving it while cold, while hot etc trying various driving styles and could not reproduce the issue. They did not charge me a cent either as they said they could not fix anything. Great people in Montgomery AL. It's been over a year and the problem has never occurred again. It was a one time event up until now. An isolated incident. No telling the cause. My own thoughts are that today's vehicles are far too complicated for anyone to design them properly or fix them. Other than this incident at 105,000 miles I've had no other tranny problems at all. In fact the only other problem was 6 years ago with a water pump bearing failure, tossing the belt and overheating the engine which caused the heads to warp and leak antifreeze until I replaced them. That was at 47,000 miles. Nothing other than these 2 issues has ever left me stranded with this vehicle. I now have it in semi-retirement having recently purchased a new vehicle which is my main one. I don't feel I can trust the Dodge any longer for distance travel. Shame too because it is a nice looking truck. Body still good, engine good. I just don't trust it and don't know about buying another Dodge product again.

I have a 2004 with 588k yes that's more then 1/2 a million miles today I replaced the transmission but everything else is original trust it ha I looking forward to the next 500 thousand miles been to Canada at least 10 times I would never buy anything but a dodge truck .

why dodge it when you can ram it

Agreed, 2003 with 467949 today and x-fingers (and toes) still runs everyday for me. If I crash it beyond repair I will buy another Dodge Truck in a heartbeat!

Try this first disconnect you battery it will reprogram it ,,,it worked for me..good luck

It worked for me mine was stuck in 2nd gear light was on ...just disconnect your battery for a few min . and it works like new , Hope it works for you

john adams will be eternally grateful.