Model A1136 / 30, 60, or 80 GB hard drive / black or white plastic front

Can I transplant a hard drive from one iPod to another?

I have two exactly identical iPods (generation, model, hard drive, everything matches)

Apple iPod 5.5 g 80 GB

Order No. MA450LL/A

Model No. A1136

Toshiba MK8010GAH 80GB Hard drive

One iPod has a bad logic board but a viable hard drive with data that needs to be retrieved. The other has a malfunctioning hard drive but otherwise perfect Logic Board/SMT IC board.

My question is this: can I transplant the viable drive from the former onto the logic board of the latter and have a functioning iPod which, at the least, I could retrieve a file list of some sort?

Thank you so much for your time. :-)

Yes you can interchange the HDD, and since both are Toshiba's you will not even have to change the HDD cable. No, you wont get a playlist or anything of the drive. Reason for that is as soon as you change the drive, your iPod will want to be restored when you plug it in. If you really need anything of the drive, get a Zif-to-USB adapter for about $5 of ebay. You can then plug the Pod drive in as an external drive and use some of the ipod ripping software to take the files off. Hope this helps, good luck.

James McKeane will be eternally grateful.