2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox

The first generation of the Chevrolet Equinox, a crossover SUV from Chevrolet based on General Motors' Theta platform.

anti lock brakes and traction control lights on

While driving car, traction control seems to be working all the time or maybe the antilock brakes are always working, not sure which. But can feel the pulse in brake pedal all the time and can hear a pulsing sound when using brakes. Lights for antilock brakes and traction control on dash is always on.

can the tcs cause you vehical not to start

by La Verne Walker

will the traction control shut down the engine.

by La Verne Walker

Most Helpful Answer

If the traction control light illuminates and stays lit without blinking, this means that the traction control system has been deactivated and there is no traction control available. The only way to find out what is going on with it, is to get it properly diagnosed. I would go to my local GM garage and have them do a, analyzer check to determine what error codes you get.

I've encountered this before on my old Jetta as well as some of my friends' cars. Both of these systems work using a signal from wheel speed sensors that are generally mounted on or near the brakes. They're usually about the size of a roll of pennies. If they're gooped up, bent out of alignment, unplugged or the wires are damaged they will send a "no-spin" signal to the computer, telling it to activate the ABS (that pulsing you're feeling in the brake pedal) as well as cause all sorts of errors in the traction control module. That seems to be the most likely source of failure.

If you determine that one or more of the sensors are faulty, check your local auto parts store for replacements or rockauto.com. The dealer should be your last resort buying parts since they mark up their parts 100-500%.

Fixing the sensor(s) may not make the lights go away. You'll have to take it to an authorized GM repair shop or dealer to have them reset the computer modules for the ABS and TC.

OR, if you're feeling wealthy, you can buy one of those nifty gadgets yourself, but be warned: the ones that can access ALL the computer's modules cost $$$$$$$$$$ (those $200 OBD-II units at your local auto parts store can only access the engine module) and require you to get a hold of some good factory literature so that you don't change a setting that will break your car even further. Best of luck!

***MUST READ FOR EQUINOX ABS SENSOR ISSUES***

Most mechanics do not think this far a head as the problem can be caused multiple things.

The most common is the wheel bearings wear out causing the break sensor to touch the hub causing the sensor to error out.

If it happens to one bearing the rest are going to be bad soon. So fix them all.

The good thing is the fix is relatively easy. The bad thing is the parts are a little pricey.

You'll have to replace all the wheel hubs to fix the problem.

Here is another part that also requires attention and repairs to fix the ABS errors. If any of the other parts in the suspension are worn it will affect the rotation of the wheel and sensors, mostly when breaking. Example: if the front struts are worn out or have lost the gas charge the wheel will have some "chatter" when breaking. It may not be noticeable to the driver or you may not feel it in the steering wheel. However, the wheel sensor picks this up as loss of traction. So, if you replaced the hubs and you are still having the same issue, replacing the struts along with the wheel hub could fix the problem. Have your mechanic look at the rest of the suspension parts to ensure there are not any issues.

Another benefit to repairing the worn suspension parts is your vehicle will drive nicer and will be much safer to drive.

As you were told when you were a kid, "pay attention".

I have a Chevy equinox 2006 and last week both ABS and TC warning lights came on. I had no locking pulsing or tremors, in other words the vehicle runs fine. On a whim I checked the tire pressure and sure enough the rear tires were low. After I added air...the lights stayed off( Until today). Once again the lights came on and NO Problems>>>>so i rechecked and added air again...the lights came on shortly after then went off when I restarted the car, only to come on again... Since there are no obvious symptoms like shaking or pulsing I am going to disengage the Black or (-) terminal from the battery to reset the computer. We will see then. Once again...my lights came on without any issues.

Mine was a 2006 Pontiac torrent which is same as the Chevy equinox a mechanic diagnosed as bad brake module. They are very expensive so they suggested eBay. I bought a used one guaranteed to work my mechanic installed it and reset my computer system. It fixed the problem for about a year and then retuned with the same problem I will probably have to replace it again.

My 2009 Chevy Equinox gave me the traction control error, but no codes, because it is an intermittent problem. The dealer checked the vehicle and called back, reporting that the wheel speed sensor on the left rear wheel (behind the driver) was open. Replacing the sensor fixed the problem. BTW, when I went to pick up my fixed Equinox, a 2009 Pontiac Torrent arrive with the same problem.

My 07 equinox right front break caliber kept locking up. Replaced the guide pins, replaced the abs speed sensor and rebuilt the caliper with no results. The brake continued to lock up and the service stabilitrak / traction control kept coming on. I don't know what possessed me to do this, but I put my foot under the brake pedal and pulled up. It released the caliper and knock on wood I haven't had any issues since.

I have a 07 equinox and the ABS and the TC light comes on says service traction control also service stabilitrak but the car runs fine but sometimes I feel like the car jerks a little as if I tap the brake really quick but again sometimes when I turn my car on it doesn't say anything the ABS light will be on for about 5 seconds then it'll disappear but if I turn off the car then on it'll come back on.....what can be that problem...

by Miguel Torres

Buy a gm part #22715444 replace it it will fix the problem

I think gm should stop putting these useless wheel sensors on vehicles just to get a little extra money . I don't need something that stupid to tell me when my tires need air I can still get out and see the tire

@Laura Guthrie, as much as I despise GM for wasting taxpayers money (Gov Bailout etc.) the tire pressure monitoring really was not their idea, you know GM would have jacked that up like anything else they touch. "The Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events

by oldturkey03

chris will be eternally grateful.