2005-2009 Chevrolet Equinox

The first generation of the Chevrolet Equinox, a crossover SUV from Chevrolet based on General Motors' Theta platform.

anti lock brakes and traction control lights on

While driving car, traction control seems to be working all the time or maybe the antilock brakes are always working, not sure which. But can feel the pulse in brake pedal all the time and can hear a pulsing sound when using brakes. Lights for antilock brakes and traction control on dash is always on.

can the tcs cause you vehical not to start

by La Verne Walker

will the traction control shut down the engine.

by La Verne Walker

it will not shut the engine down but it can cause power loss and no acceleration

by Jimfixer

If the traction control light illuminates and stays lit without blinking, this means that the traction control system has been deactivated and there is no traction control available. The only way to find out what is going on with it, is to get it properly diagnosed. I would go to my local GM garage and have them do a, analyzer check to determine what error codes you get.

I had pulsing breaks and an ABS light on, found 6 plugs(4 front, 2 back) to spray with contact cleaner and no help. Finally the last plug fixed the problem. Next time I will add grease to this plug. It has 4 wires on the plug, it is under the car in the center between the rear tires. This really did the trick!!

by leetompkins

Most Helpful Answer

I've encountered this before on my old Jetta as well as some of my friends' cars. Both of these systems work using a signal from wheel speed sensors that are generally mounted on or near the brakes. They're usually about the size of a roll of pennies. If they're gooped up, bent out of alignment, unplugged or the wires are damaged they will send a "no-spin" signal to the computer, telling it to activate the ABS (that pulsing you're feeling in the brake pedal) as well as cause all sorts of errors in the traction control module. That seems to be the most likely source of failure.

If you determine that one or more of the sensors are faulty, check your local auto parts store for replacements or rockauto.com. The dealer should be your last resort buying parts since they mark up their parts 100-500%.

Fixing the sensor(s) may not make the lights go away. You'll have to take it to an authorized GM repair shop or dealer to have them reset the computer modules for the ABS and TC.

OR, if you're feeling wealthy, you can buy one of those nifty gadgets yourself, but be warned: the ones that can access ALL the computer's modules cost $$$$$$$$$$ (those $200 OBD-II units at your local auto parts store can only access the engine module) and require you to get a hold of some good factory literature so that you don't change a setting that will break your car even further. Best of luck!

There are so many possible answers for this question but the old turkey said it best get the codes read at your dealer and find out exactly whats wrong . If you happen to have access to a reader that does abs that will go a long way to helping you out but until then your only guessing. Ive replaced abs pumps with cars that have a traction control light on and Ive replaced sway bars as well changed wheel bearings abs sensors. brake pedal sensors and drive by wire gas pedal all for the same light. In some cars its the gyro that tell you when the car is leaning that screws up. Getting the codes read is your best option

***MUST READ FOR EQUINOX ABS SENSOR ISSUES***

Most mechanics do not think this far a head as the problem can be caused multiple things.

The most common is the wheel bearings wear out causing the break sensor to touch the hub causing the sensor to error out.

If it happens to one bearing the rest are going to be bad soon. So fix them all.

The good thing is the fix is relatively easy. The bad thing is the parts are a little pricey.

You'll have to replace all the wheel hubs to fix the problem.

Here is another part that also requires attention and repairs to fix the ABS errors. If any of the other parts in the suspension are worn it will affect the rotation of the wheel and sensors, mostly when breaking. Example: if the front struts are worn out or have lost the gas charge the wheel will have some "chatter" when breaking. It may not be noticeable to the driver or you may not feel it in the steering wheel. However, the wheel sensor picks this up as loss of traction. So, if you replaced the hubs and you are still having the same issue, replacing the struts along with the wheel hub could fix the problem. Have your mechanic look at the rest of the suspension parts to ensure there are not any issues.

Another benefit to repairing the worn suspension parts is your vehicle will drive nicer and will be much safer to drive.

As you were told when you were a kid, "pay attention".

2007 Chevy Equinox is a piece of? Brakes keep locking up in the middle of driving changed out master cylinder replaced brake pads What's Next the brake booster someone tell me why my car just stops in the middle of driving frustrated with the Chevy Equinox

why is one brake locking up?

My 07 equinox right front break caliber kept locking up. Replaced the guide pins, replaced the abs speed sensor and rebuilt the caliper with no results. The brake continued to lock up and the service stabilitrak / traction control kept coming on. I don't know what possessed me to do this, but I put my foot under the brake pedal and pulled up. It released the caliper and knock on wood I haven't had any issues since.

I have a 07 equinox and the ABS and the TC light comes on says service traction control also service stabilitrak but the car runs fine but sometimes I feel like the car jerks a little as if I tap the brake really quick but again sometimes when I turn my car on it doesn't say anything the ABS light will be on for about 5 seconds then it'll disappear but if I turn off the car then on it'll come back on.....what can be that problem...

by Miguel Torres

Wendy, OMG I was literally stuck on the side of the road...my car would not accelerate, and the abs light popped up but went away. I checked my brake fluid, shut the car off for a while, cut it back on, but I still couldn't accelerate unless I pushed the accelerator down all the way to the metal and even then it only moved slightly. My daughter began to cry, I told her to trust God and have patience. Shortly after Googling my issue, I read a few posts and right before I was about to call a tow truck, I read your post and putting my foot underneath the break and lifting up worked right away. I'm now sitting in my car in front of my house and had to take the time out to open this account so I could let you know how grateful I am to have read your post. It's been an extremely long work week for me and I was so looking forward to getting home and relaxing with my family. Today is Friday January 15, 2016. Thank you so much Wendy, you're awesome!

by Rafeka

Buy a gm part #22715444 replace it it will fix the problem

Bigfndiesel is exactly correct. I bought the part he suggested 22715444..problem solved! Like 50 bucks. Thank you so much!!!!!

by cindy

I purchased the abs wheel sensor harness for both front driver and passenger side on Amazon.com for less than $40. My husband changed out the old one and lights are no longer on. Now all we need to deal with is the airbag lights staying on. Anyone have a solution to the airbag light being on?

by pkjm2616

I think gm should stop putting these useless wheel sensors on vehicles just to get a little extra money . I don't need something that stupid to tell me when my tires need air I can still get out and see the tire

@Laura Guthrie, as much as I despise GM for wasting taxpayers money (Gov Bailout etc.) the tire pressure monitoring really was not their idea, you know GM would have jacked that up like anything else they touch. "The Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events

by oldturkey03

I agree but we all know it is a game plan for them so that they can get more $$$$ from us and they are $80.00 plus for one, I had to buy one.

by jaydee11

They should recall to many issues with the same part must be defected from the line.

I have had several different model cars in the last 30 years and this HHR is the worst. I have never had so many recalls on one vehicle. My abs & traction control light goes on one day stops for several days then on again. It most likely is the car itself. I have had it to my honest mechanic that I have been dealing with for numerous years with all my previous cars and he informs me that it is ok to drive. I know if I take it to the dealer they will want $$$$ to fix so I am waiting for for them to announce a recall which they should. I will never buy another GM car again.

by jaydee11

I have the same problem with my 2005 equinox, I had the left wheel sensor replaced, worked for a few months and now the problem is back. I hope GM do a recall on these vehicles.

by willieyoung

Let us all e-mail Chevy maybe they will put a recall on the problem (they have so many recalls on the HHR may as well do another). I will never buy a car by them again.

by jaydee11

I have a Chevy equinox 2006 and last week both ABS and TC warning lights came on. I had no locking pulsing or tremors, in other words the vehicle runs fine. On a whim I checked the tire pressure and sure enough the rear tires were low. After I added air...the lights stayed off( Until today). Once again the lights came on and NO Problems>>>>so i rechecked and added air again...the lights came on shortly after then went off when I restarted the car, only to come on again... Since there are no obvious symptoms like shaking or pulsing I am going to disengage the Black or (-) terminal from the battery to reset the computer. We will see then. Once again...my lights came on without any issues.

Mine was a 2006 Pontiac torrent which is same as the Chevy equinox a mechanic diagnosed as bad brake module. They are very expensive so they suggested eBay. I bought a used one guaranteed to work my mechanic installed it and reset my computer system. It fixed the problem for about a year and then retuned with the same problem I will probably have to replace it again.

My 2009 Chevy Equinox gave me the traction control error, but no codes, because it is an intermittent problem. The dealer checked the vehicle and called back, reporting that the wheel speed sensor on the left rear wheel (behind the driver) was open. Replacing the sensor fixed the problem. BTW, when I went to pick up my fixed Equinox, a 2009 Pontiac Torrent arrive with the same problem.

08 trailblazer when I pulled in the driveway and parked and got back in to it the Abs and traction control lights came on . How do I fix this?

I'm having this same problem with my 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 I've changed front n rear brakes,calipers,cleaned all 4 speed sensors my brake pedal goes to floor still I also bled thems severa times. When I brake I'm also hearing a noise (pulsating) coming from front left wheel what Could be the problem

Having the same problem with my 2007 Equinox .. Have replaced all 4 abs wheel sensors . That did not fix the problem and make the lights go off . So I replaced both wires on the front wheels.. That didn't make the lights go off .. So I replaced the EGR value and also that hasn't helped... Had it put on a computer and it told me that the left front abs system was malfunctioning.. So replaced the sensor once again checked the wire and yet again .. NOTHING is helping... I'm at my wits end with the problem... Someone please help!!!

when you get the error it isn't necessarily the sensor it can be the wiring leading up to the sensor or the connection at the abs unit itself for that wheel sensor. A multi meter and a test light go a long way to finding faults

by Jimfixer

My Equinox has a pulsing and vibrating brake peddle , abs light come on and the tc light.

comp. code C0035 left front wheel speed censor fault.

front hub asm with speed sensor (left front) was replaced and problem came back. 2X ,Help please

I also have a 2006 Chevy Equinox. My husband replaced the brakes on his own in 2013, and that's when the problems started. ABS and TC lights on and pulsating while braking. In Hawai'i, a annual safety inspection is required and because the lights take a few minutes to come on, we were lucky to pass that inspection.... We haven't been able to pass it since 2014. It's frustrating to have read that this is a common issue! Where are the recalls? If anyone knows of what parts to get, please let me know... Dealers cost an arm and a leg for parts...and then labor... ugh.

by pkjm2616

Check the wiring to the sensor . Look for cracks or pinholes that can cause corrosion in the wire . A corroded wire can cause a fault code as well

by Jimfixer

22715444 part number 50.00 on ebay

07 tahoe 4x drive traction light on

Brake semi locking

chris will be eternally grateful.