3DS

Nintendo handheld device released February 2011, identified by model number CTR-001.

How do I fix my 3DS Error Problem?

When I turn my 3DS on after about a minute or so it will say

" An error has occurred. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power, then turn it on and try again. For help, visit support.nintendo.com."

I have checked the website and tried to turn it off and on several times but nothing seems to be working.

I believe I know what caused it, while reaching for something i knocked my 3DS off of my desk maybe 2.5-3 feet.

Anyone know whats wrong and how to fix it?

I can't read the terms and conditions from the wifi because it tells me that it isn't in this region

by Jelena10

Hey guys, please spread the word, I found a fix! I have had no problems playing with wifi enabled. As a test I even played 2 entire circuits on Mario Kart 7 multiplayer with a friend. I also was able to browse the internt, and play my various other games. I was having the same problem, if wifi was on, I would get the black screen of death telling me to hold down the power button and restart.

Anyways, I opened my 3DS XL, found the wifi card, unplugged it, and plugged it back in.

Here is a picture of it http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/9/2012/...

Just be careful when unplugging it. You should grab on each side and just wiggle back and forth. DO NOT PRY IT OPEN like a leaver, as the connector is a tiny strip on the edge closest to the center of the 3DS. Here is a picture of it unplugged, so you can see what I mean about the tiny connector plug in spot, so BE CAREFUL. http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/9/2012/...

Opening the 3DS in this fashion will not void any warranty's, so don't worry, there was no warranty sticker that I had to tear through to get this far, thank god.

Also when I opened the 3DS, I noticed my "R" button was unplugged, so I plugged that back in as well. That was not what fixed it, because I immediately tried it after that, and still got the same error whenever I turned the wifi back on.

So, in short, just pop her open, unplug the wifi card, and plug it back in firmly till you hear it click. Mine clicked twice before it was all the way in, so make sure you push down firmly. And just like that, I was back in busyness with my 3DS with the wifi turned on!

For me this has been a permanent fix. If this is just a temp solution in the long run, then at least it will help you to do a system transfer to back up all the stuff you might have bought on the 3DS online store. That's actually my plan, I just bought this thing a week ago, so I am going to take it back and do a system transfer with Best Buy, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps!

*Edit Aug 7 2014*

For those of you having issues finding all the screws and opening it, here is a video showing how it is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWmoXDuUy...

Reseating the wireless board worked for me too! Thanks!

by joe tsai

I had this same problem, after 10-15 seconds it would error out. If I turned off wifi it would be fine, and would error out if I turned it back on. I decided to follow part of disassemble video on you tube, removed the wifi card and reinstalled it. Now it works fine. I don't suggest banging the bottom, as the wifi card connection is downward and would dislodge it more. Thanks Alejandro for posting your solution.

by Roadapples

I did what Alejandro said and it worked perfectly! The step to step tuto Nintendo 3DS Wi-Fi Board Replacement was perfect, thank you :)

by sheev

yeah. wifi trick fixed mine. thanks

by ciphercoms

just done this it worked and it's not as fiddly as you think to anyone wanting to attempted it

by josh woodward

Open it and look if everything is in the right place. If so try to unplug one thing you think it might be damaged and start the 3DS. I can imagine the Wifi-Device or the SD-Slot are damaged. Maybe the 3DS starts after that without an error-message.

Thanks Alejandro, I did the procedure you described and now, my 3DS is working again!

Haha weirdest thing but i actually fixed this by gently banging the bottom of my 3ds against a table a few times, so i suspect the error message is caused by a loose connector..... but if you cant fix this by doing this you can get it repaired or if you really dont need the wifi just turn it off

Can't seem to get a consistent response. It looked like the R was unplugged and then all worked fine. That was yesterday. Today, the message re-appeared. I have followed the suggestions and carefully removed the WIFI card, unfortunately it's made no difference. If it's related to the SD card or insert, I can't figure out why or how as all looks AOK. This !@#$ thing has only been used since mid-August (it's now mid-December) and I'm stuffed if I can't get it working before Xmas. Nintendo will accept it for return to be looked at but that's no good until after Xmas day. It seems to work fine without WIFI so I'll set it off but that's not a long-term fix for us as my son watches the videos, gets demos etc from the online shop. If anyone else knows anymore on this error message PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far :)

All good technicians will know that in all Nintendo consoles: DS lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS the console will turn on but will not shown any image if :

• WiFi card is damaged, disconnected or removed.
  • Top or Bottom screen are broken, in short circuit or having the flat cable broken.
  • In 3DS all of above + disconnected or broken cameras.

Recommendation: DO NOT HIT THE CONSOLE TO TRY TO FIX IT. Open it and replace or place the broken/loose component in place.

JMMA - Montreal

Forgot to respond to my previous comment.

I bought a replacement Wifi card, and it came in the mail a few days later. Opened up the 3DS again, pulled out the old card, put in the new, and WAMMO, wireless functions worked again. Thanks iFixit!

Fixed Mine the same way. 7 bucks for a used card on E-bay 10 minute installation.

by Dylan Pedersen

I found that when I removed the SD card the error message never appeared again

I pulled and re-seated my battery and haven't had the problem resurface. It's been several weeks since I did it.

Does this also apply to the 2DS?

I cannot get the back off of my 3DS. I took off the back with two screws and took out the five screws on the next level. I cannot get it to come apart. I can see the board underneath, but it is like there is a sixth screw at the top that I cannot find. What am I doing wrong?

There are actually 7 screws. Here is a video showing you how to take it apart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWmoXDuUy...

by Alejandro

Thanks for resolving!!

My 3Ds does not have internet but I still have error messages

nothing worked for me i tried the wifi card the battery and the sd card but still it shuts off when i have the wifi on

So I got it open, detached and re-attached the wifi card, put the battery back in, and STILL it crashes when the wifi is turned on. I know you can buy replacement wifi cards for ~$10, but I'd rather fix it instead of replace it. Plus, waiting on shipping would be less than ideal. Any suggestions?

Hi, just made the opening thing and IT WORKED!!! thanks for the info. I was looking for the solution in the internet and only got this.. I saved 80$ in technical support. Thank you again.

Hi.

I can confirm this fix working for the 2DS as well.

This 2DS always came up with this error message after about 15 secs after boot and had to be turned off.

I opened it and reinserted the wifi card and after that it worked.

my grandsons 3ds will not charge. It isn't the cord and we were thinking it is where you plug it in because before it completely wouldn't charge we had to kind of prop the cord where it plugs in so the connection would get a good connection. Any suggestions?

I tried to charge my 3DS But my cord is bend around and there's something's wrong with the 1300 mAh lithium-ion Battery.

Ihave a pokemon game pokemon xy when I read a pokemon ora it says cannot load this page what eo I do

How

Isaac Reid will be eternally grateful.