Unveiled at the 2000 North American International Auto Show on January 10, 2000, the redesigned 2001 Dodge Caravan and 2001 Chrysler Town & Country were released for sale in August 2000.

Why does the Caravan shut down intermittently?

Hello, my car Dodge Carvan SE 2001, off after driving several miles, after waiting for 15 minutes I can turn it back on. The temperature gauge reaches the half.

DANIEL RAMIREZ

Thanks.

It's hard to tell what is happening by your description. Are you saying your car can drive for a couple miles then it shuts off? The temperature gauge is only reaching the half way mark? How old is the car and how many miles on it? Any recent work done on it? The information you give us the more we can help.

Most Helpful Answer

Daniel,

Although it is difficult to tell what is happening by your description, I think I have a solution, or at least a place to start looking for a real answer.

I think your problem may be vapor lock. This occurs in aircraft more often because of altitude changes. If the temp gauge reaches half (on the gauge) that would indicate a normal operating temperature for most vehicles. A quick look at the instrument cluster will show most needles in the straight up position. This is by design so that when you see one needle pointing one way or another, you know there is an abnormal situation with just a glance.

If you are operating at the normal temperature, this may mean that one of your fuel lines, or fuel rails is being heated abnormally in the engine compartment. Perhaps a fuel line bracket is missing or broken causing a line to lay on a hot engine component such as the exhaust manifold or an oil line or a header or the engine block. You might also try wrapping your fuel lines in a heat reflective tape. Another suggestion is to fashion a heat shield under the carburetor.

However, you may have a different fuel delivery problem, such as debris in the tank, restriction in the fuel line or fuel filter, or tank pickup.

Here is an interesting article about vapor lock and it's prevention.

One more article on prevention.

I would be interested to know if any of this works.

Frank

I have the same problem before and I change to many parts , the last part I change is fuel pum and I no have problem anymore.

i have a 2003, and my folks have a 2005 both with v6 engines. I have had similar problems with both and it ended up being the crank position sensor both times

I have a 2001 dodge grand caravan automatic 3.3L engine., He began to fail. the engine suddenly goes out, to go running by reducing the speed, high do. As the current is cut, sometimes the boot into neutral again operating the key, in others not start and had to stop, put on parking and turn the key and immediately ignited. According to power the Czech failure was the petrol pump but do not keep well, following the same fault, until the day before yesterday I parked for about half an hour and trying to turn it off two otres sometimes killing each other and then we would not only estarea. They changed the crankshaft sensor and nothing

DANIEL RAMIREZ will be eternally grateful.