Repair guides and disassembly information for Apple's 8th generation iPad. Released September 18, 2020. Model numbers: A2270, A2428, A2429, and A2430.

Why is my Home Button not recognizing a press?

The problem

I have an iPad (8th Gen) that will not recognize any presses from the Home Button. I have factory reset the device without any effect on the issue. Touch ID works fine, and I can navigate between the home screen/other apps using touch gestures. But any kind of pressing on the home button is completely unrecognized by the device.

What is known so far?

Damage History

• As far as I'm aware, this device has had no other known damage. The screen is the same screen that the device has been bought with, and no other components have been replaced by myself or another party. The device may have been dropped, but there appears to be no evidence of external damage.

Troubleshooting so far

• As stated in the description of the problem, I have attempted to factory reset the device and have power cycled the device. Neither of which has had any effect on the issue. The home button does not show any issue with Touch ID and does not seem to be loose in the housing.

Any assistance/advice that can be given is immensely appreciated.

Most Helpful Answer

First off this is a super well documented question, second to get the obvious out of the way, have you enabled "assistive touch"? As you may know, Assistive touch will place a virtual, yet fully functional home button on your home screen. The button itself is not super difficult to replace. Depending on the model it may be held in place by a small metal bracket and two small screws. Getting the iPad open safely is another obstacle. I would definitely recommend using assistive touch as it is the less invasive option. I apologize I cannot help further.

2 Comments:

Any help or advice that can be given is always greatly appreciated. My current worry is that it may be an issue where the home button may be shot. I don't have the ability to open the device yet, as I don't have the adhesive to properly seal up the device afterward, but will add documentation if I were to find something.

Keep me posted, I use to repair iPads, granted that was around 2013, but if I can be of any use, I'll try.

Jacob Mehnert will be eternally grateful.