A handheld gaming console made by Valve, released on February 25, 2022.

Can an 2230 M.2 SSD be installed on the eMMC version?

Can I install an 2230 M.2 SSD, like the 1TB Kioxia BG4, into the eMMC version of the Steam Deck? Specifically, I am wondering whether there are any considerations vis-a-vis interference with the Wi-Fi card, and whether the (NVMe-less) eMMC version even has the necessary M.2 port.

• Yes, you can upgrade eMMC disk to NVMe disk.
  • You can reuse electromagnetic shielding from original eMMC for new disk.

Most Helpful Answer

This can be done. Make sure the SSD you want to install is one of the short ones shown in the teardown linked here: Steam Deck Teardown

Yep, I put a 256GB WD SN530 into mine, works absolutely perfectly. Make sure there are no chips on the backside of the drive though, it's a bit tight in there, but the BG4, being a single-chip SSD, would definitely work.

Valve makes good $@$*, I wish apple would die and Valve replaced them. Been a good company since they Moded quake or unreal was it,.. into a pro quality game. anyway. I have their steam controller. which is kinda rare now, But i have 2, and have replaced the R-bumper's (trigger) which was plastic with a metal piece folded twice kinda tricky, metal was from a tape measurer.

got my 256 SDeck and along with a 3d printer, there are countless mods , Just need creativity ... I bet the OS install on new chip wasnt too hard? was it?

Just buy an external case for the SSD, put the original in it, clone the drive to your PC, put the new SSD in the case and clone this drive back to the new SSD. Worked fine for me from 256gb to 1tb. And you have to do nothing else. You can use Macrium Reflect free for it.

Valentyn will be eternally grateful.