The slim edition of the classic Xbox 360 with a 250GB HDD and built-in Wi-Fi. Repair requires intricate prying and special tools.

My xbox is lit with a single red dot

When i turn my xbox slim on it lights up with a single red dot in the center and the screen is black. Before the red dot appeared, my console would freeze at a constant rate. I would appreciate any enlightenment on this issue.

Keep in mind that the red dot of death is not onlyonly caused by an error in your xbox360 Slim but can also be caused by an error I ur power adapter. If the power adapter light turns red after a few seconds or minutes, then the problem may lie there. If red, replace your power adapter to determine if it gives you the solution to renewed functionality. Otherwise if your warranty is still in good standing, seek out the R MA and return it to Microsoft. If neither of these solutions are an option for you, then click on the you tube link to follow it to a possible xbox360 Slim repair solution. Happy Gaming.

My light on my console turned green for a few seconds then red my power ADP went from yellow to green to yellow when powering on I took my heat sink off scraped all the sink clay into a pile on the CPU put my sink back on fixed!!!!

I have the same problem with my X Box.I also had the black screen with a red dot in the middle of the power button

for the red center ring. xbox 360 slim

Alex R, the only thing that I can come up with so far is the RDOD (Red Dot of Death) If you are still under warranty, notify Microsoft and see what you can do to get your console replaced. If it is not under warrant, check the optical drive. Apparently it can cause the RDOD :-)

Check out this guide on replacing the Optical Drive:

Xbox 360 S Optical Drive Replacement

If that doesn't work, peruse the Xbox 360 device page for more solutions:

Xbox 360 S Repair

Also check Youtube for some decent explanations. Good Luck.

October 6th, 2016 I'm getting this problem. Your solution is the best choice in my situation because I was having an issue with my Xbox 360 Elite having an issue reading "Dark Souls". I had installed the game onto the hard drive in order to bypass it's reading. I was hoping that would be the end of it (having to install the games), but no luck on that. It worked for awhile, then it started freezing. So I'll have to try this out. If I have any issues I'll post here for an update. If I don't post anything else, then this solution was perfect.

Most Helpful Answer

Before you go getting all complicated try this. Take your vacuum hose and brush and attack all of the vents. When you get to the one that the fan sits under take off the brush and position the hose over it till the fan spins. Let the fan spin for a moment. After awhile when the CPU cools try starting it up. This has worked several times for me. The better solution is to clean it before this happens.

Thank you for this post. I have a second hand xbox because we have gone through so many new ones that "fall" off the cupboard. So I was freaking out thinking noooo not again and then I read the posts above and thought OMG are you kidding. Then I read this one. So I put the fan on the xbox, moved it to a new location, vacuumed it thoroughly and bang it works. Yay thank you so much. Didn't want to buy another one this close to xmas. Appreciate the down to earth, worlds not ending response you provided.

The unplugging of the fan reset worked. I did replace the thermal compound. But did not put in any new washers or bolts. Just used the old x clamp. And I went from black screen with red dot of death to playing the xbox an hour later. Just watch the you tube video above. I got this xbox for free to is the best part because someone was throwing it out!! :)

I'm glad you got your Xbox working. That reset works more often them most, especially for the xbox 360 Slim.. Please give the video a good rep and share when-ever possible so that others can be informed about another possible option to a suspected broken xbox, that might not be broken at all.

Last night I got home from work and tried to play madden, and it's started up logged into my account and clicked the game, and after it's said EA Sports and froze. Tried to turn it off by the remote but didn't work. So I just $@$* it off cuz wouldn't turn off when I did it with my remote. And then turned it on again and showed a red dot. It's a refurbished Xbox my lady got for me in April, only had it for about 4months

I don't know how to take it aprt and don't wanna mess it up.

Can sum one help me solve my problem? Plz

Try this guy..

http://youtu.be/0xWCD0-mTC4

Help! Today is christmas morning! I plugged in my new refurbed Black 360S and it comes on green for about 1.5sec

Then the light turns red blinks 3x and shuts off.! %#*@ you shady bastard that sold me this POS. This was a Santa gift too! Microsoft have a heart today on Christmas

Hai, mine also have the same issue like yours, have you find the solutions yet, i would like to hear ot from you, you can contact me at bullablur@gmail.com

I contacted xbox because I have the solid red ring, red dot and the blank screen. They informed me to get a new power cord first instead of sending it in for repair.

I am sure the fan is not working because I does not spin when I cut on the console.

The tech guy said the power cord may have been overheated and may not be able to sent enough juice to power the system fully

Did this work?

It's the southbridge apply press to it and bam it will fire up. Reflow the southbridge and Gpu/CPU should solve the issue.

best way to solve your problems is sue micro soft

hey man i found a permanit solution take the whole thing apart down to the gpu cover four pennies in arctic silver thermal compound put them on four corners of the processor carefully put it back together and it should be just fine the gpu is losing contact the pennies are to apply pressure if one of the pennies fall out its fine just remove the pennie and continue to put back together one pennie shouldnt make a differance one fell out of mine and it still worked hope this helps man good luck

Even though this is very old, it is never a good idea to fix consoles with this method. It isn't a permanent fix and usually causes more damage in the long run.

mine will turn on but black screen and the light stays green for about 15 seconds then turns red

try uplugging it for two or three days and it will work, or also take it apart if its not under warranty and let it run for 5-10 mins. then put the case back on and it should work like new.

the problem with my xbox is when I turn the Xbox on on the remote it keeps blinking the circle multiple times then when I look at the Xbox it shows a green light like it always does and then it turns red after a second or two then I tried this multiple times unplugging it from the wall still does the same thing please help me.

can you guys answer my question if I take my xbox 360 to gamestop can't they fix the problem for me.

Maybe they can

My xbox slim system is fried. The light on the button turn green and then turn red.

No your xbox 360 is not fried. It justed needs repaired..

i have the same problem with my xbox 360 the light turn green then red and wont show on the screen

Same with me green then red

Hey Alex,

Within 10 seconds of turning on my Xbox 360 S, even after not playing it for days, the light goes from green to red dot. No screen image or error message. Here's what I've tried to fix it but nothing has worked yet:

Checking power cord and box, and using a brand new one,

Checked all inner and outer cables/connectors,

Pulling out 250 gb hard drive, shaking and putting back in,

Taking Xbox apart and cleaning all dust from it,

Taking out hard drive and trying to boot,

Taking out CD drive and booting,

Replaced the fan with a Whisper quiet,

Unhooked the fan and let Xbox overheat so as to reset it (did exactly as DB said in his excellent video).

I've now got my heat sync and chip apart and will buy Arctic Silver 5 today and re thermal paste the chip and reassemble. I hope it works but don't expect it will because the red light comes on so fast, there's no time for it to be a heating problem.

If any serious tech out there reads this and can offer something likely to work, please do. I have no warranty and the box is about 3 years old (but has been well taken care of, well vented, cleaned, etc.

Okay, I did the Arctic Silver thermal clean and replacement idea and still a red dot. Now I'm trying the DB overheat reset idea again.

Hi it's the south bridge that causing the issue. Maybe the CPU/gpu but most the time it's the south bridge needs reflowed. And don't use Arctic silver 5. Not the best pasted everybody thinks it is. Mx-4 is the best stuff to use. Might be one of the Rams too under the heat sink. Those are the things to check/ reflow.

Thanks Robert!! Will take your advice and look at south bridge, rams, do reflow

Tony, have you figured out the problem yet.

What is reflow southern bridge

How do I reflow and where is the southern bridge tried everyrhing tony did

Hey everyone. I just had the same problem. The Xbox 360 Slim froze about once every 15 minutes for about 30 seconds. I was playing on system link, and there seemed to be no issues. I woke up the next morning and turned on the console. It lit green for a second and then went constant red. Every time I restarted it it went red after half a second. I fully dismantled the machine and took off the heat sink, and heated the processor up to about 100 degrees (With a hairdryer). I tested it and the light was then green (It overheated quickly because the fan and heat sink were off.) I have fully reassembled the machine and it works great - no red lights. It may have started working because I readjusted all the connections inside the box e.g. Optical drive, hard drive ect. I didn't find anything super helpful on the internet, so I hope this helps.

Try this first make sure you have no flash drives attached to any of the USB ports if you do remove them and second make sure to reseat the hard drive if you have one by removing then place it back in again now start up the Xbox 360. If still red insert a game disk close the tray now shut off and now turn it on again that should fix it something about the game in first and no flash drives before starting usually does the trick.

I have an Xbox 360 S but I've never had mine freeze before. However, I think I might have a solution to the Red Dot. I saw in a video that the red dot is caused because the console has a problem detecting the hard drive. The guy in that video said that "The Xbox was pushed a lot during transit and it won't work because of that" and you might have shaked or moved it to convey the same error. In the video, he took the hard drive out and put it back in again, and that seemed to do the trick. I hope that solved it! :)

That's NOT correct my Xbox 360 slim will boot with or without the hard drive. and i have tried it on 1 other system with the same result

Alex R will be eternally grateful.