Repair and disassembly information for the fourth-gen iPad Pro 12.9". Announced and released in March of 2020. Model A2229.

iPad Pro won't take a charge but otherwise fully functional

My IPad Pro took a static shock I believe and now it won’t take a charge through the USB-C. The iPad worked perfectly in every other way until it ran out of juice. I took it to a local repair place which sent it in to somewhere. They checked something and said since it wasn’t that, they couldn’t fix it. I’m sure I should be able to replace whatever that part is and it should be back to fully functional.

Anyone else ever run into this inability to charge? Is the USB-C replaceable? How would I spot what might have gotten fried? Is there perhaps a better place I can send it to get repaired? Looking for some advice on how to proceed.

I’ve already bought a replacement so I’m willing to explore taking it apart and having a go if there are replacement parts out there for what might be ailing it.

From what I can tell from iFixit’s teardown the port does appear to be replaceable, you just have to get the screen off which can be a bit of a pain. If I were you, I would send it to VCC Board Repairs for further diagnostic just in case. I personally use them to handle microsoldering repairs as I’m not able to perform them at this moment.

Hey thanks. I'll give them a try.

Greetings everyone and by the way the USB-C on iPad 12.9 4th gen is replaceable and I had this issue I'm an apple repair tech so I deal with them all the time if there is a charging problem always try to clean the port with a tooth brush dumped in alcohol which is really effective and opening won't be necessary but if that won't solve the issue then you might have to open the screen and change the port with a lot of care not to break the flex face id cable which is located beside the front camera but mounted to the screen itself including the front speaker and two light sensors but in conclusion the USB-C is changeable on this model fortunately,

Morgan McGary will be eternally grateful.