A1706 / EMC 3071—Released in November 2016, this 13" Macbook Pro introduces the OLED Touch Bar. Features a dual-core "Skylake" Intel Core i5 CPU and four Thunderbolt 3 ports.

13" 2016 - 2017 MacBook Pros seem to have a lot of RAM issues?

I run a small repair shop and have noticed that, in the last six months or so, I have seen about 10 different 13” 2016/2017 Macbook Pro’s with defective RAM. Both the touchbar and function keys model. Have others seen the same? Is this yet another “gate” that plagues these models?

The Macs freeze unexpectedly, after a while they fail to boot as the OS gets corrupted. The built-in diagnostics often doesn't spot the problem, but memtest86 always picks it up. Here is an example screenshot:

https://imgur.com/a/o2BteZf

Can you expand what you are seeing. What does the onboard diagnostics tell you?

Apple is using a different RAM type which is more often used in cell phones. Being a much higher density package its possible heavy RAM I/O could be an issue. All of the 2016 onward systems are using this RAM type (other makers are as well)

What types of work loads are these folks doing on their systems?

iphone3ghulp - Can you help us help you??

We really need more info to understand the problem your customers are facing.

iphone3ghulp - That was useful! As I stated: "Being a much higher density package its possible heavy RAM I/O could be an issue."

Are these folks doing heavy processing like video editing or other heavy graphics types of stuff?

Why I ask is I've seen a few 13" with RAM issues, but not 15" models, yet they are using the same RAM. But, unlike the 13" systems the 15" have a discreet GPU and VRAM where the 13" models use the systems RAM for video buttering!

I also bet these systems fans and heatsink fins are also loaded with dust so the systems cooling is reduced!

Cero will be eternally grateful.