Repair guides and support for M1 24" iMacs by Apple, introduced in April 2021.

How to remove the stand from iMac "24?

I going to buy an iMac ‘24 and I thinking to travel with him. I was wondering how I can remove the stand to have more space?

Thank you

Sasha

You’ll want the VESA mount model not the standard one if having a removable stand is important Buy the all-new 24" iMac with Built-in VESA Mount Adapter and a VESA stand that works for you.

If you review the iMac M1 24" Teardown as you can see you would need to take your system apart to get to the mounts screws. Which is not practical nor smart!

2 Comments:

Thank you so much for your answer! It is not a very smart idea to do it just for that!

@saledub Don’t forget to accept the answer - Thanks!

Actually this is wrong. You do not need to open up your imac to remove the stand. The stand can be removed at the hinge. You just need to remove the cap covers at the hinge part to access the bolt holding the stand to the imac stand bracket. I don’t know why they say you need to open up the imac to get vesa capabilities on these imacs unless you were going to be using the original apple vesa mounting bracket. An aftermarket vesa solution for this imac would work and attach directly just like the hinged stand attaches to the imac. I assume you would need to pop off the caps covers at the hinge to access the bolt holding the stand to the imac mounting plate. Removing the cap covers is something ifixit never bothered doing. Since ifixit pretty much destroyed their imac already maybe they can go ahead and post an update to their website showing how to disassemble the stand. I’m guessing possibly the cap covers won’t come off easily without damage to them?

3 Comments:

Sorry the hinge pin is press-fitted, its not screwed.

Hi, i'm solving the same problem. How best to remove the caps? Drill, thread and extrude with a screw?

These caps are slip fit. Not press fit. Difference is, the force needed to push or pull them. These caps have an external groove which has a rubber O-ring. This O-ring provides the necessary friction to keep the caps in place. I used a very thin narrow sheet of stainless steel (0.002" machinists' feeler gauge) to slip in between the cap and the hole it was in. Much like a shoe-horn.I was able to dislodge the cap until the rubber O-ring was visible and then I used a knife edge or small slot screw driver to pry out the caps. Now I am trying to figure out how to "unscrew" the two screws which act as the hinge I guess. One of the screws is a bolt which has a nut on it to provide the necessary friction to tilt the monitor and keep it there. So when you put it back together make sure you tighten it just the right amount.

Sasa Popovic will be eternally grateful.