A2115 / 2020 / Processors from 3.1 GHz 6-core i5, up to 3.8 GHz 8-core i7. Released August 4, 2020.

Can be this model 2020 be upgraded to i9?

Model Name: iMac

• Model Identifier: iMac20,1
  • Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i7
  • Processor Speed: 3,8 GHz
  • Number of Processors: 1
  • Total Number of Cores: 8
  • L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
  • L3 Cache: 16 MB

Here's your systems series: iMac20,1

these are the possible CPU's your system can support.

Is possible upgrade with I9 10900KF??

thanks

The 3.6 GHz Core i9 (I9-10910) is the best CPU Apple used in this series.

Core i9-10910 Processor

Core i9-10900KF Processor

As you can see you loose the UHD Graphics 630 which Apple uses at startup, and you wont get the higher clocking. Best to stick with what Apple used.

Hi Dan

So you confirm that I can install the 10900KF? By not having integrated graphics it will heat up less.

@eullin - Cutting off your right leg will use less blood, but you can't run very well. This is the same issue as you'll loose the startup services without the IG services.

I personally wouldn't do it. Heat is really not an issue if you use a good thermal monitoring app like TG Pro.

I would also make sure the vents are not blocked and clean out the dust yearly.

Most Helpful Answer

So while it’s possible its not an easy process!

We don’t have a guide for your exact system but this one is very close to the same procedure to get the logic board out iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display Logic Board Replacement Keep in mind you need to use the correct tools and technique to get the display off otherwise you risk damaging it!

After taking the logic board out getting the current CPU out is not that hard but putting the new one in as a real pain! Many people struggle getting the CPU properly placed in the socket and/or damage the logic board socket in the process.

Of the three systems I got in which someone had attempted to install a replacement CPU in this design series two had damaged to logic board to the point I couldn’t save it.

Also be careful on what TIM you use and don’t over do it! It takes very little to do the job.

wow that is a lot of work, seems like you would be better off just replacing with a mobo that can handle it.

@spacecadet420 - Sure replacing the logic board with the i9 installed already also works.

djleba will be eternally grateful.